`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We All Can Change this Hobby So Lets Do It

We All Can Change this Hobby So Lets Do It
There are so many threads of us collectors complaining about card companies and their tactics of selling "souvenir" "event worn" memorabilia, lets stop talking and do something about it. Below is a link to an online petition that has been started. I am open to editing this petition so please post input. If it should be reworded, fine, I am ready to do something about it instead of reading threads about it. Pass the word and lets get it done.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/no-mo...-producing

http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/ee167/kollectornet/

Mainly collect Harry Douglas, Baltimore sports teams and Atlanta sports teams.

[Image: harry.jpg]

RE: We All Can Change this Hobby So Lets Do It
Whoever signed this with the name Tracy Hackler definitely did it for the laughs.
While I think it's a nice idea to do a petition like this, and I totally agree with the idea behind it, I am doubtful it will really have any effect. So long as people keep buying the boxes the card companies are going to continue to make them.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

Nothing will come of this. It's like trying to get everyone to not buy gas for a day. 1) it doesn't effect the oil companies it effects the gas station. 2) not enough people will participate because people are addicted. 3) most people don't care what's in a relic card.

I have doubts but who cares it's fun and it's cool. If weook at this in the big picture and I mean big picture we are all idiots for paying large amounts of money for a signature or a piece of bat/jersey of anybody. Who cares what Albert pujols has done in his career? I know a doctor that has done way more for this world then Pujols ever did, will you pay $200 for his autograph?

Or how about a soldier that lost his life in combat would you pay $100's of dollars if a card of his with a piece of fatigues?

I have been thinking lately that card collectors are attention hungry (myself included). We buy things or trade for things then post them in here hoping people will respond and tell us how great a card is or how great a deal we got. Mostly anymore days that's what "collecting" is all about due to the nature of the beast.

(02-23-2015, 02:37 PM)yankees_pride Wrote: Nothing will come of this. It's like trying to get everyone to not buy gas for a day. 1) it doesn't effect the oil companies it effects the gas station. 2) not enough people will participate because people are addicted. 3) most people don't care what's in a relic card.

I have doubts but who cares it's fun and it's cool. If weook at this in the big picture and I mean big picture we are all idiots for paying large amounts of money for a signature or a piece of bat/jersey of anybody. Who cares what Albert pujols has done in his career? I know a doctor that has done way more for this world then Pujols ever did, will you pay $200 for his autograph?

Or how about a soldier that lost his life in combat would you pay $100's of dollars if a card of his with a piece of fatigues?

I have been thinking lately that card collectors are attention hungry (myself included). We buy things or trade for things then post them in here hoping people will respond and tell us how great a card is or how great a deal we got. Mostly anymore days that's what "collecting" is all about due to the nature of the beast.
Well, bust my buttons. Real doom & gloom, mr. perky pants.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

Myself I'm not a fan of this petition. While I see the point of it just like Yankees_pride said nothing will come of this. People collect for all different reason I think only a small percentage of collectors care when the material was actually worn. While the market is flooded with these types of cards it's the modern day players cards are the ones that are flooded. People that collect game used card want them because they are a piece of history.

I think the issue and why there are fake pieces in circulation is because of one technology, two the card companies do not do anything to protect the piece included on the card. Outside of mini allen Ginter game used cards and a few other sets the pieces are loose and cut be cut out or replaced with the right tools. If the companies would put a clear piece of plastic over the piece it would make it much harder for the card to be tampered with.

Another issue is the authentication process and people trying to save a dollar by going through a cheaper company to get the item authenticated.

Lastly if for example Major League Baseball would give other company major league rights it would solve a lot of problems.

That's just my take on it... I don't care to much to know when the item was worn or used. Hell some batters will use the same bat for weeks or months depending on how long the bat holds up because he is on a hot streak or whatever so what would you put on the card. This player used this bat from June 2015 to August 2015 before it broke on a pitch by Clayton kershaw? Who cares... While it would be cool to know when someone wore something or used something to me there is no added value. On top of that also if someone was on a 30 plus hit streak or whatever I don't see the card companies getting those items from the player without paying an arm and a leg to that player in which there is no money to be made by the card company.

Once again this is just my take... I'm not saying this to trash the petition idea but to me if we want to make change lets petition that MLB, NFL, NBA and NHL allow more company licenses to use there team logos etc so here is more variety for us collectors so we are not buying the same crap year in and year out by the sa,e company.

Who doesn't miss the 90s with Topps, upper deck, fleer, donruss, pacific all competing to make the best product to create the next best card set etc.
https://rad3427.imgbb.com/
WANT LIST
1. Nolan Arenado RCs (all colors)
2. Ken Griffey Jr (90s inserts)
3. Bryce Harper RCs (all colors)
4. Mookie Betts 
5. Juan Soto

(02-23-2015, 02:37 PM)yankees_pride Wrote: I have doubts but who cares it's fun and it's cool. If we look at this in the big picture and I mean big picture we are all idiots for paying large amounts of money for a signature or a piece of bat/jersey of anybody. Who cares what Albert pujols has done in his career? I know a doctor that has done way more for this world then Pujols ever did, will you pay $200 for his autograph?

I have gone down that mental path before, and I totally understand what you're saying. However here is the thing to consider regarding athletes versus doctors/soldiers/everyday people...society has deemed athletes as heroes and idols. People will always want a connection to their heroes, whether they be an athlete, an actor, an astronaut, a scientist, activist or whoever else. Cards and memorabilia in general are nothing more than a way for people to feel connected to their heroes and idols. That is one reason why some of the non-sports cards have done so well. If they made cards of random doctors and soldiers there would still be people who want them, but it would mostly be people who know them or are connected to that person. Much in the same way that the cards of career minor leaguers still have a following, but the vast majority of people don't want them unless the player did something to make them noteworthy.
I do agree that there seems to be a bit of "bragging rights" in the hobby, but no more than when someone buys a new video game, toy, clothing, car or some other nice object that they want to show off to all their friends and anyone else that will take notice.
(02-23-2015, 03:16 PM)rad_1205 Wrote: Once again this is just my take... I'm not saying this to trash the petition idea but to me if we want to make change lets petition that MLB, NFL, NBA and NHL allow more company licenses to use there team logos etc so here is more variety for us collectors so we are not buying the same crap year in and year out by the same company.

Who doesn't miss the 90s with Topps, upper deck, fleer, donruss, pacific all competing to make the best product to create the next best card set etc.
+1, it would be a better hobby with more licensed card manufacturers in each sport. I wish each sport gave out 2-3 licenses each year and let the card companies truly compete against one another. In the current system it's becoming a monopoly, as whoever is willing to pay the most for a license gets an exclusive contract. For every sport that a company pays an exclusive deal for it's just one more axe on the other companies until there is only 1 company for all sports and they make the products however they see fit, leaving the consumer with no choice of companies to select from. Just a bunch of different products from the same company.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(02-23-2015, 02:17 PM)kollectornet Wrote: There are so many threads of us collectors complaining about card companies and their tactics of selling "souvenir" "event worn" memorabilia, lets stop talking and do something about it. Below is a link to an online petition that has been started. I am open to editing this petition so please post input. If it should be reworded, fine, I am ready to do something about it instead of reading threads about it. Pass the word and lets get it done.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/no-mo...-producing

The vast majority wants cool looking memorabilia cards and aren't concerned with whether its an actual game worn item. The best thing you can do is collect dated "game worn" memorabilia and hope some others follow your lead.
Collecting 2010 Bowman, 80s oddball rookies, and '89 Griffeys.

(02-23-2015, 03:00 PM)nolan5000 Wrote: Well, bust my buttons. Real doom & gloom, mr. perky pants.
Now That's Funny !!!!!!!
[Image: lbMplTF.png]
1967 Topps
Super Collector of Cal Ripken Jr. & "Pudge" Rodriguez
bowers25’s bucket

(02-24-2015, 01:16 AM)bowers25 Wrote: Now That's Funny !!!!!!!
Thanks man!!
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!