Finest had trout rookies and autos
Marquee debuted with the titanic patches, and auto relics out of this world
Tier one debuted with some great autos
Ginter had George W Bush autos along with many other awesome autos
Gypsy debuted with some amazing new cards
Topps chrome had an awesome auto checklist and great color
The bowman trio had Trout rookies and harper 1st years, and Harper autos
Triple threads were the best y have ever looked

And there was a slew of rookies in this years class with rc cards that hold value and tons of great young guys with first time autos

RE: Was 2011 he best year for cards???
It's going to be hard to argue against it (for modern). If Harper starts to do what everyone thinks he can it's indisputable.
Btw, I know I've said it many times but, 2011 triple threads is my favorite set of all time (excluding vintage).

the problem i have with 2011: the "variiety" is just topps

ill take a decade earlier: 2001

memorabilia cards were still worth a damn. you have some absolute great sets from that year. ichiro and pujols rookies. even "vanilla" sets like fleer tradition were awesome. topps had retrofractors. absolute was fantastic. sp game used and sp game bat made game used stuff more accessible. fleer's red sox 100th year set. best topps archives reserve auto set ever produced

on and on
oh, and sweet spot's inaugural year

Not a fan of sweet spot.
Most autos fade and the cards look too bulky.
But yea the retro fractors were sweet

Im not a fan of sweet spot either, but I'll give you that it's a great year for cards.

Good arguments for both 2011 and 2001
[Image: IconmsBannerFinal3.jpg]

As far as I'm concerned, that's the year that brought me back to the hobby, so I'd have to agree. The Rookie Class that year was top notch. Heritage was 'honoring' one of my favorite vintage Topps designs. The Topps contest was cool, win-able, and semi-addictive Smile Harper, Trout, Goldschmidt, Frazier ... A fine year!
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

None of the Topps monopoly years can be considered the best imo.

(02-13-2015, 01:12 PM)mgruber2 Wrote: None of the Topps monopoly years can be considered the best imo.
Actually, the only years I had to compare were the mid 80s and early 70s. In the 70s I only knew of Topps! in the 80s when all the other companies proliferated, well, that was the reason I left the hobby. There was too much product. Score was bad, Topps was Mediocre, Upper Deck was interesting, Fleer and Donruss was boring. Bowman was just starting, Stadium Club, Ultra ..... All these 'high end' products were much too much for me.
As far as unlicensed product, I love most of the Panini unlicensed stuff out there. I love ITG, Perfect Game, Tri-Star. The logo being there doesn't make a card better and it's absence doesn't make it bad, IMO.
2011 ITG was a great card product.
2011 Triple Threads was really nice.
The 2011 flagship Topps product, with all those awesome SP variants of older ball players, opening a pack and getting a Mantle Diamond Anniversary, cognac, etc. was great. The inserts that year were great, too!
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(02-13-2015, 01:12 PM)mgruber2 Wrote: None of the Topps monopoly years can be considered the best imo.
Why?