`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Book value vs Fair value

Book value vs Fair value
Here is a industry problem. BV vs FV, you look up in Beckett a players Rc the BV and there it is. Now you look around for one. What do you pay for it? A local card shop will give a price and depending on the player a discount. Then there are several web sites and good grief look out! Prices all over the place, some guys just dumping to poor listings and there you go. You got you Rc for pennies. But what is it really worth? And that my friends is my question to you all.
Mostly football and a set builder

RE: Book value vs Fair value
That's pretty much one of the reasons why I only buy graded cards. There is (typically) a price range to go off of which makes shopping for a particular card a lot easier. Everyone seems to think their card(s) are worth more than the next guys. But if you can get a card for "pennies," then it's probably not worth much.

On a side note,
I track many different cards on eBay, both raw and graded. so when the time comes to buy it I have a general idea about price. If you have the time and patience I would suggest doing the same. I've gotten some really good deals on graded cards and even bought raw and had graded and increased the value of some cards.

(01-28-2015, 12:08 PM)bbniner80 Wrote: Here is a industry problem. BV vs FV, you look up in Beckett a players Rc the BV and there it is. Now you look around for one. What do you pay for it? A local card shop will give a price and depending on the player a discount. Then there are several web sites and good grief look out! Prices all over the place, some guys just dumping to poor listings and there you go. You got you Rc for pennies. But what is it really worth? And that my friends is my question to you all.
A card is only worth what people are willing to pay. The guide is only a guide. Some demand is higher and you pay more and vice versa. I've seen cards with BV selling for way less and I've seen them sell for 300% more. Supply and demand, and eBay isn't the only barometer for what a card is 'worth' ... There are other factors involved.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

I use bv for trading on Beckett only. I also use it as a guide for purchases on e-bay or other sites to determine what I am willing to pay. Usually I can buy something below bv but I only buy when I am unable to trade for it. Besides trading helps me get rid of cards I don't care to keep.

Depends what the card is, really. New releases, patches, high end and super star rc's get what they're supposed to, while other cards are let go of to get cash flowing. You may be able to get book value on these cards, but you have to be patient. If we're talking about the world's biggest flea market, your going to have 100,000 sellers willing to cut each others throat to get a sale and move inventory, because they most likely depend on that income. But as it's already been stated, a card is worth whatever someone is willing to pay.

I use the Beckett guide to determine the approx value of a card I want..for example, there is a card I wish to purchase that has a history of bv $25 and an ebay history (nice Beckett OPG feature by the way) of $24.91 and since it /25..it has 1 sale recorded..so, when someone asked $79 for the card on eBay, then I back off or ask for price reduction...
As far as fair value, it is exactly as stated above..if someone is willing to give me $100 for Freeman RC..I am going to take it..otherwise..I will need to sell 50 of them!! What ever the market will bear...

We really cripple ourselves when we use a price GUIDE as an absolute. I have paid more than triple BV on some cards I wanted just because I hadnt seen them around for years and didnt want to miss, on others Ive comparatively stolen them for what I paid. To echo some sentiments that have already been said value is whatever you can get for it or whatever youre willing to pay for something. These things are not a major source of income for most people, this is a hobby, do what you want, get what you can get. Also take into account new product usually starts high but most things out of it will eventually drop when its not the hot new thing.
Tim Wakefield
656/839 78%
617/643 96% Non 1 of 1s
67/93 Autos
46/60 Memorabilia
39 one of ones

"Everybody's gotta price..everybody's gonna pay." Famous quote right there. As I start to dabble with real time currency for cardboard, I've also had my eyes opened too throughout the years. Its all about the high, the low and the haggle. I use beckett to get a good starting foundation. Other sites such as ebay, LCS, friends, articles and the likes I get a more refined price for a card. But ultimately, those who know how to use the old time barter system will always get their price or close to it. The questions you ask yourself is " How much is this card going for, how much is person A selling it for, how much do you want to pay for it and how many things can you find about the card that will result in your favor. Using spoken words like a poet or a bard how they can woo an audience will just about do it to anybody at any card anytime. Otherwise,"No thanks, i'll get it somewhere else".
Looking to complete the 2013 Archives Mets fan favorite Au's (Just need Ron Darling) and 2014 Topps Gypsy Queen set mini base + SPs. Also working on 2015 Topps Chrome and updates. Please note that if you have less than 15 trades, I ask that you send first.

I use BV a couple of ways. 1st - I do use it for trades on ungraded cards here, but its really just a barometer. Knowing that alot of older cards haven't been re-priced in like forever (1971 base for $.05...I mean really) I don't care if the BV is in favor of my trading partner at times. Also, I do use it as one of many factors when buying an ungraded card (BV x 40%ish on newer cards....maybe a little higher on older cards). Alot of times it really depends on how bad I want a card when buying. Also, because you paid x $ for a card, doesn't mean that's what I'll pay. Like Muzo...I'll go elsewhere to get something or just do without. My PC will never be completed, so missing out on something is no big deal.
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

Another member said it best, a card is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. BV is suppose to be an estimate of past average selling values. It is impossible for anyone to track all the sales for a month between LCS, ebay, card shows, swap meets, trade sites etc. There is also so many other factors that affect the selling prices on sites like date, auction format, pictures, description, feedback, and in shops and trade shows you have similar challenges. You also have local markets for home teams and players etc...

I usually go with a quick scan of ebay completed prices. It is probably the worlds largest card selling market and it gives me a quick snap shot of what I can buy or sell a card for. BV is rarely what a card will sell for unless in a card shop that uses BV to price their cards.
Collecting Vintage OPC and older oddball and food issues as well as Maple Leafs.

Enjoy the hobby at it's purest form, treat it as you did as a kid.