`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Selig's term as commissioner

Selig's term as commissioner
His term ended on Staurday. What will be his legacy?

RE: Selig's term as commissioner
Hate to say it, steroids. Opinions will vary on how he dealt with it, but it will be his legacy.

His legacy, like it or not, will be a Hall of Famer. Don't know when he'll go in but he will eventually be inducted.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

I know the PED issue is brought up. He did some other things that were good. The inter league play. I think that was one of the best things he did. Also the wild card for playoffs. I think both of those helped him.

(01-25-2015, 12:01 PM)stwainfan Wrote: I know the PED issue is brought up. He did some other things that were good. The inter league play. I think that was one of the best things he did. Also the wild card for playoffs. I think both of those helped him.
Opinions very on the two items you brought up. The special uniqueness of the AL meeting the NL for the World Series has been minimized because of interleague play. I for one really don’t like the addition of another wild card spot, but I do note a lot like it.

(01-25-2015, 11:55 AM)zeprock Wrote: His legacy, like it or not, will be a Hall of Famer. Don't know when he'll go in but he will eventually be inducted.
Unfortunately this I believe to be correct also.

As a caretaker, he has done a great job. Baseball is more popular and in better financial shape then when he started. Labor peace with the players and umps. The additional WC's give more fans a reason to stay involved through September/October and not shut it down in August. The WBC has helped spread the games popularity world wide. Could go on and on.

The PED era is a blemish more so on the owners and players union for fighting about mandatory testing than him. Could it have been identified and acted on sooner, of course. Always remember regardless of what you read, the commissioner works for the owners Also, I think inter-league play was great at 1st but has now run it's course (esp. since the Phillies record is so bad against the AL...LOL.)

Is he my favorite person....no. But I truly think that being a fan, he at least considered the fans. (see the NFL, NBA and NHL)

Just how I see it........

*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

Interesting question. If your a fan of a small market team team, you have to appreciate the financial balance he has helped create.

If your team won a championship as a wild card, you have to give him credit as well.

In summary he has done great in advancing the sport financially and creating excitement for the post season. He has failed in maintaining the integrity of the game.
My Bucket

Wish list
1) Reggie White Auto
2) 2005 Topps Fan Favorite John Elway Auto (Baseball)
4) $$$ to buy 1 & 2

(01-25-2015, 05:13 PM)jeremy7269 Wrote: He has failed in maintaining the integrity of the game.
WOW! Very strong statement. That is one of Selig's problems because true or untrue a lot of people out there feel this to be fact.

How about no labor strife (at least in terms of a strike) since the devastating '94 season. That's almost unprecedented in this day and age. I for one am okay with inter-league so that you can go to your local park and see teams and stars from the other league.

One thing that I do not like is the all-star game determining home field in the World Series. Why not just allow the two teams that are in the world series give home field to the team with the better record?
Thanks,
- Steve

I could certainly be wrong, but did Selig make a decision to make Roger Maris' 61 HR a single season record?
Collecting: Bryce Harper, Cal Ripken Jr, Mickey Mantle, Roger Maris and Ted Williams.