`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Josmil Pinto/JR Murphy/Christian Bethancourt/Travis d'Arnaud??

Josmil Pinto/JR Murphy/Christian Bethancourt/Travis d'Arnaud??
Since it's pretty much dried up trading for 2014 Finest I want to pc a player. Went through the Finest set looking at rookie catchers and came up with these 4. Since I only really know anything about 2 of them (d'Arnaud was a Phillies prospect and Bethancourt is in the Phillies division) I was wondering who everyone thinks would be a good player to pc and who has the greater upside. I'm leaning towards Josmil Pinto cause he's someone new to me. Opinions??
Collecting Phillies base cards from 1950-present
Collecting all catcher prospect and rookie cards

RE: Josmil Pinto/JR Murphy/Christian Bethancourt/Travis d'Arnaud??
I'd rule out Murphy as I think there are better catchers in the same system. Bethancourt will take over this year, d'Arnaud is already getting old for a prospect and Pinto kind of came from nowhere the last couple of years as he was never highly rated. There's lots out there for d'Arnaud already. Personally I'd rank them:

1) Bethancourt
2) d'Arnaud
3) Pinto
4) Murphy

But any of the top 3 would be fun to collect.
Trading for cut autos of baseball HOFers I don't have, autos of current and future Cleveland Guardians, and anything else that catches my eye!

(01-24-2015, 06:49 PM)roger rabbit Wrote: I'd rule out Murphy as I think there are better catchers in the same system. Bethancourt will take over this year, d'Arnaud is already getting old for a prospect and Pinto kind of came from nowhere the last couple of years as he was never highly rated. There's lots out there for d'Arnaud already. Personally I'd rank them:

1) Bethancourt
2) d'Arnaud
3) Pinto
4) Murphy

Thanks for the info. d'Arnaud does have a lot out there and I don't think I want to start back that far so I'm ruling him out. Looks like it's Bethancourt or Pinto.

I'd go bethancourt too. If his bat comes around a bit he'll be an all-star.
PC Players: Alex Bregman and Christian Yelich. Looking for any and every I don't have.
Other Players: Luis Ortiz Jr., Rowdy Tellez, Touki Toussaint

Wink 
Pinto!!! (I'm biased, because I'm a Twins fan). If you choose him, PM me your address. I'll get you started.

(01-24-2015, 06:49 PM)roger rabbit Wrote: I'd rule out Murphy as I think there are better catchers in the same system. Bethancourt will take over this year, d'Arnaud is already getting old for a prospect and Pinto kind of came from nowhere the last couple of years as he was never highly rated. There's lots out there for d'Arnaud already. Personally I'd rank them:

1) Bethancourt
2) d'Arnaud
3) Pinto
4) Murphy

I would go with this ranking also except I would swap the 1 and 2.

I started a small d'Arnaud PC when he was still a prospect because the Mets hope big things from him. He got a little delayed in his debut with some injuries, but I think he has potential to fill a lot of their expectations. So I'll continue my PC for a bit and see where things go.
Mike Piazza supercollector: 4,263 different Beckett items
Also collecting John Franco, Eric Karros, Al Leiter, Brandon Nimmo, Todd Pratt, Robin Ventura, Turk Wendell, and Todd Zeile

Lots of question marks with Pinto. Namely, if he's going to stick at catcher.

His bat is about as MLB-ready as it's going to get, but he's viewed as a defensive liability. And he likely is what he is behind the plate because he's barely young enough to qualify as a prospect any more.

For now he'll stick at catcher because the Twins already have Mauer, Arcia, Vargas and Hunter who will see time at DH, 1B and corner OF positions. Also, he's blocked by Kurt Suzuki and his new 2-year contract extension.

So bottom line: decent hitter with plus power, average to below average defender and blocked by veterans and more promising/younger prospects.
Kepler

Why do the Yankees even bother drafting catchers? They always end up picking up an old FA to start and let the young guys sit as backups or in the minors (see Cervelli, Romine, Murphy). I guess this is their M.O. with pretty much every position, but I collect Yankees catchers so I notice more. Young talent just languishes in that system.
2009 New York Yankees Autos Project: 29/52 (56% complete)

[Image: EAiRylN.png]

Sig courtesy jbel4331

(01-26-2015, 12:27 PM)glassnickels Wrote: I guess this is their M.O. with pretty much every position, but I collect Yankees catchers so I notice more. Young talent just languishes in that system.
I never thought about collecting a teams catchers. I tried doing all catchers and it got overwhelming as I was warned it might. I may have to look into this.

(01-26-2015, 11:01 AM)jaredhuizenga Wrote: Lots of question marks with Pinto. Namely, if he's going to stick at catcher.
This was the problem I was having with my catchers pc. Knowing when they switched to a different position especially with prospects starting as catchers then moving to a different position in the bigs. For me it wasn't an easy pc to keep track of.