`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1 Average
ERMAGERD ready to participate in the hobby again

RE: ERMAGERD ready to participate in the hobby again
(01-20-2015, 10:20 PM)y2hood Wrote: Hello, I'm pretty much no one around these parts. Took part in a few group subs and offer the occasional pictures from them. I've posted a few threads here and there for advice or sharing stories. But I've mostly been lurking here and there for the better part of 6 months with random posts.

My family ran into problems that forced me to put cards on the back burner and then in large numbers start fire selling them on various mediums to raise funds to pay for a bankruptcy attorney. We had both brought debt into our marriage and then between 2013 and 2014 combined we had 6 hospital stays. The attorney advised me that my collection was subject to confiscation under federal law and I had to disclose them. So I set about making an excel file for each team and listed every card until I reached right around 29,000. He told me I needed to stop selling what was left because I was literally $7 away from not qualifying for the Ch7 (don't have to pay anything back) and being forced into a Ch13 (five year payment plan).

We went to court, I had everything ready to be handed over and he said they don't want it. That because I had stuff like Bradshaw, Rice, Marino, Elway, medium to high grade rookies not selling for anything and BGS 10 National Treasures cards going for $30-40 it is not worth it to the court to try and sell it themselves either. That my stack of 60s graded vintage baseball cards were selling for cost of shipping and a lot of other stuff just wasn't moving period should force me to reconsider another hobby.

I've been collecting since 1987, I was 6. To watch years of work and love dissipate, emotional attachment to cardboard based in where I was in life when certain things were purchased, killed me each time I printed a shipping label. Knowing cards my beloved late grandmother bought me would no longer be with me left me a mess more than once.

But it's a new beginning. April 2nd will satisfy our 90 day period and everything we're subject to is discharged. I'm ashamed I don't have a job that pays more, I'm looking but I'm in a weird position of doing the same thing for 8 years and 2 BAs on a resume' aren't as attractive as I thought. I keep applying for stuff commiserate to my qualifications and nothing.

My wife is finally able to start working again (a large part of our problem is that she had a large unemployment gap and then found a job and within a month had to medically resign). We're not Rockefellars by any means, never were and never will be, but we're a lot smarter now. We do not have credit cards to get us in trouble. If I buy a card or a pack it's because I worked OT and it's after rent, utilities, etc.. are paid.

I had mentally prepared myself to lose 29,000 cards which means a lot of them are nonessential. In the coming months I'm going to reenter the trading areas of the forums. I really don't need 300 Falcons cards or any other NFL team that isn't the Saints. I don't need all of these 30 baseball team collections either (save for Mr. Frank Thomas). So we'll see what goes.

The biggest headache I have now is going through my BGS registry trying to figure out what I did get rid of and what is still there. I'm working on that presently.

Thanks for letting me vent. I hope all of you have a lovely remainder of the week.
I remember when you said you was leaving for awhile.
And I have to admit. I've thought of ur situation when it has been rough for me these past few months. It was a kick in the face that what I am going thru isn't as bad.
And I just wanted to thank you.
And hope the best for you. And things turn around for you.

Thank you all. I was just looking through my posts and I didn't realize I had posted something a few months ago that was pretty much *spoiler alert* on what we were facing. I tell you, hiring a lawyer that is also a friend was a big help. He is VERY by the book BUT he was totally cool with a 1am wake up call to clarify stuff.

I hated that a lot of the stuff I put on Ebay included stuff from RW34's group subs as everything I send her way are PC items as I never wanted to take advantage of her great deals for personal gain.

I appreciate all of the personal messages I got also from a few members checking on me. It was pretty cool and touching.

Also I'm now a God father and I'm going to be checking all my baseball and football binders for LSU and Oregon graduates since his mother is an LSU fanatic and his father is inexplicably a Duck fan in South LA (he doesn't collect cards) and will turn this tyke into a collector.
Seeking 2007 National Treasures Drew Brees Laundry Tag cards #'d to 10.
Trade/Buy for: Saints and Frank Thomas

Hobby instagram

So about a year ago this week is when the poop started hitting the fan and I had to start listing all sorts of dear things on eBay to raise money.

Yesterday, I was able to buy one of them back. I had to pay $8 more than what I sold it for, but I did some digging and it's not even the same person that bought it from me last year (unless they have 2 eBay accounts).

So I'm basically looking at it like I got a VERY low interest year long pawn loan Smile
Seeking 2007 National Treasures Drew Brees Laundry Tag cards #'d to 10.
Trade/Buy for: Saints and Frank Thomas

Hobby instagram