`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about the numbering on 1979 Topps cards

Question about the numbering on 1979 Topps cards
I have 6 cards from this set, but the numbering on them doesen't seem to add up..

These are the ones i have:

Steve Carlton (no. 4)
Ron Guidry (also no. 4)
Larry Christensson (no. 5)
Jim Beattie (no. 7)
Mike Schmidt (no. 16)
Jim Spencer (no. 17)

They are from two 3-card packs i opened a while back...

None of these cards seem to have the right numbers on them... they look excactly like the topps 1979 cards i can find online, except for the numbers...
Does anyone know what's going on here?... are they from some reprint series? the packs where cellos, cant remember if they were clear or had any logo on them...

I will try to post pictures if needed... at work right now..

RE: Question about the numbering on 1979 Topps cards
They could be the buger king version.

http://www.beckett.com/baseball/1979/phi...dt-3825697
Selling my org out
Rolleyes

(01-14-2015, 12:18 PM)leadmetogreatness Wrote: They could be the buger king version.

http://www.beckett.com/baseball/1979/phi...dt-3825697
Thank you! that seems right.... but why are two cards numbered the same?... that's weird....

(01-14-2015, 12:20 PM)BlueSwede Wrote: Thank you! that seems right.... but why are two cards numbered the same?... that's weird....
In 1979, Burger King released cards made by Topps. Only Phillies and Yankees sets were made and they were only available regionally in 3-card cello packs. Each team set were numbered beginning with 1, which is the answer to why are there two of the same number. There are a few interesting things about these cards, for example, there are 7 Phillies cards with different pictures than the Topps counterpart. Jose Cardenal is listed as OF-1B in the Burger King, but just OF in Topps, and Pete Rose is in a Phillies uniform instead of Reds. The Yankees set has 4 cards with different pictures and a few other oddities as well. Cool sets in my opinion for the true team collectors.

(01-14-2015, 01:01 PM)ellis2211 Wrote: In 1979, Burger King released cards made by Topps. Only Phillies and Yankees sets were made and they were only available regionally in 3-card cello packs. Each team set were numbered beginning with 1, which is the answer to why are there two of the same number. There are a few interesting things about these cards, for example, there are 7 Phillies cards with different pictures than the Topps counterpart. Jose Cardenal is listed as OF-1B in the Burger King, but just OF in Topps, and Pete Rose is in a Phillies uniform instead of Reds. The Yankees set has 4 cards with different pictures and a few other oddities as well. Cool sets in my opinion for the true team collectors.
Wow, some interesting and fun info there!
Thank you

The Yankees Burger King Munson card is the last card of him to be issued while he was still alive. Since Munson was a tough auto, very few if any of those cards are legit signed.
Plano, Tx. Card Show #7, Sunday March 5, 2017 from 9 AM to 4 PM at Adat Chaverim (Northeast Corner Independence and Spring Creek) in Plano Tx.