`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To Grade or Not to Grade

To Grade or Not to Grade
I've been unboxing my football card collection along with buying new stuff. I have a few cards that I am debating on to have them graded or not? is it worth it??

RE: To Grade or Not to Grade
Only if its a key card or older and at minimum of ExMt or better.
A 1981 Joe Montana Rookie for example would fetch about $90 unslabbed at near mint. If its graded it would fetch about $150 or more.
Same goes with the 1976 Payton rookie. It sells for about $130 unslabbed in near mint and $200 graded.
Newer cards usually go straight from the pack to a plastic sleeve and if its good a hard case. Those are usually PSA8s, 9s or 10s regardless and don't really need grading as they can be graded any time and be assured that it maintains its condition.

If the card is a thousand dollar card, get it graded as long as it is good or better. If its a 10k card, get it graded regardless of condition. It will hold its value because people want to make sure its authentic. Many vintage collectors want a card, but like to get them at a lower cost. To them a rookie Bronko Nagurski card that is at minimum Authentic may be the only chance they have to say they have that card.
[Image: sig2_zps1ec2af91.jpg]

(12-04-2014, 02:28 PM)seahwkbrn Wrote: I've been unboxing my football card collection along with buying new stuff. I have a few cards that I am debating on to have them graded or not? is it worth it??

What cards are they?
Post some scans if possible.

I slab cards I plan on keeping, simply for preservation. And they look cool.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.