`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Set collecting question

Set collecting question
Hey all. Ok let me drop it to you like this: Lets say you are working on a modern era set and it has 350 cards. Now, card number 301 - 350 are short prints and many of them have variations like 313a and 313b. So you look and look and you can only find the variation card which is 313b. Would you add that to complete the set even if you don't have the "a" and call that set complete? Does that count? I'd like to hear your thoughts. I'm asking because im thiiiiiiis close from doing that do about 15 cards or so. I mean technically, it IS numbered in order...... What say you? And yes I'm talking about the 2014 gypsy queen no i'm not buying singles...
Looking to complete the 2013 Archives Mets fan favorite Au's (Just need Ron Darling) and 2014 Topps Gypsy Queen set mini base + SPs. Also working on 2015 Topps Chrome and updates. Please note that if you have less than 15 trades, I ask that you send first.

RE: Set collecting question
maybe i'm in the minority , but to me a set is incomplete until i have ALL the cards....a set numbered 1-350 in which numbers 301-350 have 2 versions each is really a 400-card set.....
I collect almost anyone else with ties to the state of South Carolina (especially ANY SC Gamec0cks) , + most parallels and rare 90's inserts
check out my site for tons of wantlists : claude's card corner

To me there are several levels of a complete set.
1. Basic set, no SPs
2. Set with SPs
3. Set with SPs and Variations
4. Set with basic insert sets (i.e. no autos or game used)
5. Set with all insert sets (including autos and game used)

Some people call #3 and #5 "Master" sets. However there is not 1 way to put together a set, so do what you want.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

Ok great thanks. I'll have to see how it goes then. I'll be fair and give it a good year and see where it goes from there. thanks for the input.
Looking to complete the 2013 Archives Mets fan favorite Au's (Just need Ron Darling) and 2014 Topps Gypsy Queen set mini base + SPs. Also working on 2015 Topps Chrome and updates. Please note that if you have less than 15 trades, I ask that you send first.

(12-04-2014, 07:41 AM)muz0 Wrote: Ok great thanks. I'll have to see how it goes then. I'll be fair and give it a good year and see where it goes from there. thanks for the input.
I find patience to be the best way of finishing off sets at a decent price. I can't tell you how many times I have rushed to finish a set and then a few months later a lot of the SPs and variations are going for cheap.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/