`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Two bay oddities

Two bay oddities
Since I've got some decent Jordy non-1/1 rainbows, I figured I'd attempt to get one for Chrome this year to compliment the regular topps I have already.

Anyhow, so one of the ones I needed was the Orange refractor. I put in a bid on one for 1.60 max bid starting at .99, with 2 bucks shipping. With shipping, most others were either low starting bid or free shipping and come out to about 3 bucks. I get overbid last second and the bid got run up to 2.49 I think it was. So, they paid 5 bucks. I turned around and bought another one that had been up for a while for about 2.50 shipped, and I was able to snag a Randall Cobb orange along with it included in that price. Do people just see that someone bid on it and automatically have to bid on it instead of doing a BIN for cheaper? Weird.

Then, the only auto on the site for Jordy was listed for 75 OBO. For an auto #d to 75. I thought to myself, I'll give him an offer of 35, as that's probably more than what it will be worth. He counters with 67. 67?? Ok, I'll be generous, I'll go up to 45 (which is WAY more than it should be going for). He counters with 65. So, that auto that is numbered to 75 from Topps Chrome is worth 15 bucks more than the Flawless Nelson /25 auto that's on the bay BIN for 50 bucks with free shipping?? Is this one of those times where since it's the only one on eBay the seller thinks that it's going to fetch a 200%+ premium? I replied back when I turned down the 65 offer that he'll be lucky to get another offer at 45, let alone have anyone buy it for 70. 2 hours later it's "on sale" for 67 OBO. I'm pretty sure it won't sell and he'll get even lower offers than the 35 I initially gave him.

I get some weird stuff happen with this sometimes with Jordy cards. I paid more for the green refractor than I did the Sepia /99..... and some of the sepias look like they might not sell at .99 cents!

RE: Two bay oddities
Sometimes things go for more because the seller combines S&H, and someone is buying several cards from the same seller. As for the /75 auto, it is all too common that some sellers on eBay would rather sit on their cards forever than sell them at fair prices. I have had similar circumstances happen to me countless times. I just move on, as it really is a seller's prerogative to ask as much as they want. However what irks me is the few times I have messaged a seller asking if they would consider lowering an outrageous price, since they have had the card listed for over 6 months, and they won't budge on the price.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

I agree. I refuse to help add to the inflation on cards lol. I've lost a few nice cards because I just refuse to spend more than they are worth. It just raises the prices on all the other cards of that player. I realize I may be guilty of it every so often if it's a card that is an absolute MUST have, but those are very, very rare lol. I've missed out on several Franklin 1/1's just because I'm not willing to pay $75-$100 for a guy who not only didn't play even one full year, but is now gone from the league. Just not happening. Rant over lol.

This is a topic I never tire of. Probably because I love bashing the greedy jokers who somehow think they are going to get double or triple the going rate of a particular card. This happens to me pretty regularly with Alstott stuff. Most of the time it ends with me missing the card because I am not willing to get ripped off. Sometimes, however, a little time and good sense brings the person around. Just landed a 9.5 Alstott that I made an offer on more than 2 months ago... the seller finally adjusted the asking price and we completed the sale.

Let me ask you this...are you willing to pay more if the seller doesn't try to rip you of right from the start? For example: the cards that I have paid more than book value for have usually started at $.99, at auction. But if I see someone asking up front, high book value or more, I will usually pass right over it. In other words, if I am going to get ripped off, I want to be the one instigating it!
"A collection isn't a collection unless you have some of everything." ~kollectornet

(12-04-2014, 03:18 AM)jephthah1 Wrote: This is a topic I never tire of. Probably because I love bashing the greedy jokers who somehow think they are going to get double or triple the going rate of a particular card. This happens to me pretty regularly with Alstott stuff. Most of the time it ends with me missing the card because I am not willing to get ripped off. Sometimes, however, a little time and good sense brings the person around. Just landed a 9.5 Alstott that I made an offer on more than 2 months ago... the seller finally adjusted the asking price and we completed the sale.

Let me ask you this...are you willing to pay more if the seller doesn't try to rip you of right from the start? For example: the cards that I have paid more than book value for have usually started at $.99, at auction. But if I see someone asking up front, high book value or more, I will usually pass right over it. In other words, if I am going to get ripped off, I want to be the one instigating it!
I completely agree. Sometimes I'm willing to pay quite a bit more than what something is worth just to make sure I have a copy. If I ever see any of the few cards I need for some of my non-1/1 rainbows, you better believe I'm paying more than book for it if I have to, just because they are rare enough I'll probably never see them again. Anyhow, hopefully this guy realizes that and lowers it to about 35 so I can snatch it up (and get a good laugh at his expense), or another one shows up soon so I can grab that one.

Haha, agreed with both of you! I don't even bother looking at high BIN, unless it's just to add it to my watch list in case they lower it. I'm more likely to bid on a card that starts at a low price. As a seller, I can understand the frustration of placing a card at 0.99 and then only one person bidding lol. But come on, gotta be reasonable with those BIN!

(12-04-2014, 11:08 AM)savagenate Wrote: Haha, agreed with both of you! I don't even bother looking at high BIN, unless it's just to add it to my watch list in case they lower it. I'm more likely to bid on a card that starts at a low price. As a seller, I can understand the frustration of placing a card at 0.99 and then only one person bidding lol. But come on, gotta be reasonable with those BIN!
And, if you put a too high BIN with Best Offer available, and someone wants to actually negotiate and sends a reasonable offer, don't be that guy that responds with a counter that's 6 dollars lower than the first outrageous price. I understand trying to get the most for what you are trying to sell, but if it's not even in the realm of reality, which is worse: selling it for less than what you had hoped for, or not selling it at all?

(12-04-2014, 11:34 AM)bojesphob Wrote: And, if you put a too high BIN with Best Offer available, and someone wants to actually negotiate and sends a reasonable offer, don't be that guy that responds with a counter that's 6 dollars lower than the first outrageous price. I understand trying to get the most for what you are trying to sell, but if it's not even in the realm of reality, which is worse: selling it for less than what you had hoped for, or not selling it at all?
That just happened to me! I tried to buy a nice auto, but the guy was selling it for the very top end of what Beckett says it's worth. I offered a (what I thought was very generous) 2/3rds of his asking price. He came down $2 and said it was final. Good luck with that. The card never sold :p lol

(12-04-2014, 11:34 AM)bojesphob Wrote: And, if you put a too high BIN with Best Offer available, and someone wants to actually negotiate and sends a reasonable offer, don't be that guy that responds with a counter that's 6 dollars lower than the first outrageous price. I understand trying to get the most for what you are trying to sell, but if it's not even in the realm of reality, which is worse: selling it for less than what you had hoped for, or not selling it at all?
...or the guy/gal who declines EVERY single offer. Why even bother giving the option to make an offer if you are never going to negotiate.

One time I got a guy to answer why he declined and he said it was because he didn't like my price. I then told him he could counteroffer, and man, you could hear the light bulb pop on all the way from my house. Needless to say, we ended up working out a deal. I think some people simply don't know how to use ebay, but some are definitely just greedy and rude.
"A collection isn't a collection unless you have some of everything." ~kollectornet

Another weird one: I bought a 14 Nelson Chrome 1000 yard club blue wave refractor /25 for 10 bucks shipped. Nobody else bid on it. I tried to pick up a 14 Chrome Gold /50 base variation and my max bid of 28 didn't win.... i know others are trying to do the rainbow, but 28 bucks wasn't enough when I got a /25 of the 1000 yard club for 10 bucks?? I also got the sepia /99 for .99 + shipping.... So odd....