`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beckett Plus & Trading....

Beckett Plus & Trading....
Is Beckett Plus going to have an effect on trading for most of you? I can see people forgoing the Beckett Price Guide as value indicator and trending towards the Beckett Plus Market Data for Raw cards....thoughts?

I know the guide is only a guide and not the law but still, is this tool muddying the waters of card value and trading practices or adding a benefit?

I am speaking strictly of trading for now. How will you use it or will you?
www.cardboardglory.com - Sortable checklists and other interesting hobby info

RE: Beckett Plus & Trading....
It's going to be a nightmare. Off of this site the emergence of SMR has gummed things up for graded cards. People know its a price guide but dont look far enough into it to realize that its only for PSA cards. There are too many price evaluations people are using. Beckett monthly, Beckett online, SMR, Beckett graded card, and ebay. Beckett is going to contradict itself and make its own magazine obsolete. Myself, I'll be using the price guide. All Beckett will be reflecting is ebay pricing and I do not care what a card sold for 10 minutes ago. There are too many desperate buyers and sellers who sell their cards for way too cheap, or buy a hot item for way too much money. Further more, what information am I going to get out of a card that has four sales with a span of $150?

Current price guide for me, because 1) not everyone has or will have plus and 2) Once again with Beckett, if it is already working why fix it. 3) The plus guide I see as useful for those who deal in selling and buyers. For setting a starting price and making offers.
[Image: 1WFtDI1.png]
Building Base sets and Collecting All Tigers
Looking for 1951 Red Back #36 Gus Zernial JUST ONE MORE TO GO!!!!!!!

I think I am just curious as to whether this will muddy the waters in regards to pricing standards. It seems the guide is the standard now, but the Market Data could also come into play. I could just see the arguments coming.....
"Well, the guide says the card is valued at $20 but the Market Data has 9 sales at $8...that's the true current value. The guide just hasn't been updated yet!"
This along with the complete and total inaccuracy of the guide to produce true value of a card (everybody knows this) will make trading a somewhat arduous process.
www.cardboardglory.com - Sortable checklists and other interesting hobby info

I totally missed this and just read the article from 11/26 on Beckett News

They had free access from 11/26 - 11/30?? Could they have picked a worse set of dates? I would imagine over Thanksgiving weekend many people are unavailable and are thinking of more important things than cards.
[Image: IconmsBannerFinal3.jpg]

The guide is as accurate as it can be. It sources primary markets such as larger to mid sized dealers, major auction houses, etc. People are greatly misled by what they track on ebay. There is no method to most peoples sales on ebay. Your viewing desperate or anxious buyers and sellers starting auctions at $0. You are bound to get a huge # of cards that dont sell for book value based on would be buyers aren't even aware of the card being auctioned. Heck, maybe an auction ends 2 days before pay day and they cant buy the card. Does that mean the card is worth less money? No, it means someone beat the odds and wound up with a bargain. It is going to create arguments and discourage trading because there may be too many discrepancies in pricing.

(12-02-2014, 11:59 AM)chester2002 Wrote: I think I am just curious as to whether this will muddy the waters in regards to pricing standards. It seems the guide is the standard now, but the Market Data could also come into play. I could just see the arguments coming.....
"Well, the guide says the card is valued at $20 but the Market Data has 9 sales at $8...that's the true current value. The guide just hasn't been updated yet!"
This along with the complete and total inaccuracy of the guide to produce true value of a card (everybody knows this) will make trading a somewhat arduous process.
I'm going to say the PG.
For one I have MANY Rice cards I have bought and saw NO !!!!!!! sales for those cards in that stupid thing. How can BECKETT show me NO SALES !!!! When I bought it OFF the darn BAY !!!!!