`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stanton Gets Paid

RE: Stanton Gets Paid
Your talking to a guy that watched his grandfather and father break their backs working to turn around and have to beg or threaten to take people to court to get paid. Now I'm doing the same with people that have the money, but dont want to pay. So no, I dont think they (athletes) are worth a quarter of a billion dollars until I realize thats what the market bares.

Does this seem like a ton of money? Yes, but it's money the Marlins have and I'd much rather Stanton gets it than the owner. Baseball teams are swimming in money, and players getting huge contracts is the new normal.

So... Stanton finalized the deal and got everything he asked for. $325 million with a no trade clause and an opt out clause for himself. If he doesnt like the direction the club has moved in, then in six years he may opt out of his contract. Soooo... he IS getting the money and he ISN'T getting traded in a couple years.

(11-17-2014, 12:34 PM)sshissler Wrote: I suppose you might look at it as trying to lock him up young, but that seems overpriced to me as well. Avg salary of $25 million / yr for a guy who's career high in homers is 37, RBI's is 105 and BA is .290.

Also, oddly enough, Stanton might actually be hurting his chances to get a world series title by signing this type of deal with the Marlins as I just don't see them being able to lock up other star players long term with the money committed to Stanton.

I speak of this with knowledge this because I am a Rays fan... :-(
$25 million per year (average) might actually turn out to be a decent deal (from the team's perspective) down the line. 5 or 6 years from now, there will probably be 5-10 players making $30+ million per year. And that is only going to go up (along with TV revenue, ticket prices, etc.) Everything is going to keep increasing until the bubble pops. That'll probably occur in about 15 years when MLB (and the rest of the media world) realizes that today's teenagers are not tomorrow's consumers of mass-packaged "sports entertainment." Look around you, today's kids (for the most part) aren't watching 4 hour baseball games on tv. Today's 20-somethings don't subscribe to cable--and have so much student debt that spending $85 to go to a sporting event is not appealing.

I say this as a fan of Giancarlo Stanton (one of the biggest collectors around, in fact). I also say this as someone who does not begrudge one bit how much these athletes make. They deserve every penny of it because someone is willing to pay it. All I'm saying is that the day is near where the bottom falls out of this overflowing cup. Get it while the getting is good, I guess.
(11-17-2014, 10:03 PM)Hofcollector Wrote: So... Stanton finalized the deal and got everything he asked for. $325 million with a no trade clause and an opt out clause for himself. If he doesnt like the direction the club has moved in, then in six years he may opt out of his contract. Soooo... he IS getting the money and he ISN'T getting traded in a couple years.
I bet Stanton will get traded during the term of this contract. I say this because, knowing Loria, the contract will be backloaded. Meaning, the Marlins will not want to pay him 30-35m+ per year 5 or 6 years down the road. Instead, they'll flip him to the Dodgers, or Red Sox, or Cubs, or any other number of teams who want a star-caliber player at a relatively reasonable price (for the time).

The only chance that Stanton stays a Marlin "for life" is if he suffers a terrible injury or becomes a mediocre player.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

Like I said before, he has a No Trade Clause and an opt-out clause. I think he's there for as long as HE wants to be.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(11-17-2014, 10:03 PM)Hofcollector Wrote: So... Stanton finalized the deal and got everything he asked for. $325 million with a no trade clause and an opt out clause for himself. If he doesnt like the direction the club has moved in, then in six years he may opt out of his contract. Soooo... he IS getting the money and he ISN'T getting traded in a couple years.
All I really meant was he won't finish out the contract in Miami.

(11-17-2014, 10:26 PM)uvaspina Wrote: $25 million per year (average) might actually turn out to be a decent deal (from the team's perspective) down the line. 5 or 6 years from now, there will probably be 5-10 players making $30+ million per year. And that is only going to go up (along with TV revenue, ticket prices, etc.) Everything is going to keep increasing until the bubble pops. That'll probably occur in about 15 years when MLB (and the rest of the media world) realizes that today's teenagers are not tomorrow's consumers of mass-packaged "sports entertainment." Look around you, today's kids (for the most part) aren't watching 4 hour baseball games on tv. Today's 20-somethings don't subscribe to cable--and have so much student debt that spending $85 to go to a sporting event is not appealing.

I say this as a fan of Giancarlo Stanton (one of the biggest collectors around, in fact). I also say this as someone who does not begrudge one bit how much these athletes make. They deserve every penny of it because someone is willing to pay it. All I'm saying is that the day is near where the bottom falls out of this overflowing cup. Get it while the getting is good, I guess.

I bet Stanton will get traded during the term of this contract. I say this because, knowing Loria, the contract will be backloaded. Meaning, the Marlins will not want to pay him 30-35m+ per year 5 or 6 years down the road. Instead, they'll flip him to the Dodgers, or Red Sox, or Cubs, or any other number of teams who want a star-caliber player at a relatively reasonable price (for the time).

The only chance that Stanton stays a Marlin "for life" is if he suffers a terrible injury or becomes a mediocre player.
The deal is for $25 million per year and he cannot be traded. I know it sounds crazy, but in five years this contract may look pretty good for the owners. The modern contract isn't getting any smaller on a per year basis. Your going to end up with a great deal more players getting 25 per and possibly getting 30 per. This contract may end up looking normal, at least in the yearly salary average. The length is still unbelievable.

(11-18-2014, 02:20 AM)wordsense Wrote: All I really meant was he won't finish out the contract in Miami.
Your probably right. Its too bad. I like to see players stay with a team for their career. I can remember when I was young, I hated Jeter just because he was a Yankee. As I got older I just thought he was a class act. Now looking at his career, he was truly amazing and he did it all the right way. He was my teams greatest nemesis and I cant help but respect the guy. I wish more guys would stay loyal to their teams because growing up and being able to put a face with a team, especially your rival, made it that much more fun.

[quote='Hofcollector' pid='2505970' dateline='1416314948']
The deal is for $25 million per year and he cannot be traded. I know it sounds crazy, but in five years this contract may look pretty good for the owners. The modern contract isn't getting any smaller on a per year basis. Your going to end up with a great deal more players getting 25 per and possibly getting 30 per. This contract may end up looking normal, at least in the yearly salary average. The length is still unbelievable.

I haven't seen any report on the year-by-year breakdown of the contact. While the "average annual value" is clearly $25m, I'd be shocked (shocked!) if he is actually scheduled to make 25m for each of the next 13 years. I expect instead that he'll make maybe 15-17m in Y1, 20m in Y2, 23m in Y3, etc. In other words, the contract will be backloaded, just like most every other long term contact in baseball. If I turn out to be wrong, I'll be glad to admit it.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

In all likelihood, Stanton will end up using his opt out and this contract will end up being for 6 years and $150 mil or so. Which is right in the ballpark of what Lester is going to sign for this offseason.

(11-18-2014, 09:25 AM)uvaspina Wrote: [quote='Hofcollector' pid='2505970' dateline='1416314948']

I haven't seen any report on the year-by-year breakdown of the contact. While the "average annual value" is clearly $25m, I'd be shocked (shocked!) if he is actually scheduled to make 25m for each of the next 13 years. I expect instead that he'll make maybe 15-17m in Y1, 20m in Y2, 23m in Y3, etc. In other words, the contract will be backloaded, just like most every other long term contact in baseball. If I turn out to be wrong, I'll be glad to admit it.
Since the Marlins gave him everything he asked for in order for him to stay, I highly doubt he and his agent were talked into short money on the front end and huge money on the back end when he has the ability to walk and there is more risk in his career. At that point you'd have to find another team willing to pay $30 million + per year, and that may not happen.