`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
What's a good set from 2008 to collect?

What's a good set from 2008 to collect?
I'm looking for a good set I can start putting together from 2008 which is the year my son was born. I started the UD Rookie Debut set from 2006 for my oldest son but now I want to work on a set for my second.

RE: What's a good set from 2008 to collect?
I've enjoyed Topps Finest. Are you looking for the biggest checklist, most valuable (IE expensive to buy) rookies, the debut of a new set/the last year of one, something with a nifty design or interesting insert cards?

I always like SP Rookie Threads! It was pretty sweet!

The swatches were pretty sweet! They were numbered all over the place too! Like to /175, /99, /25 and /10, maybe more! I really don't know!

[Image: %24(KGrHqRHJEEFGNMnQb)TBRpD+Lr30w~~60_12.JPG]

Then you had the multi-colored ones like them!!

[Image: 21893c21-77b0-440b-bacd-acfd1590a72b_zps5f9900b7.jpg]

Then there were some "Rookie Numbers" I thought were pretty cool!

[Image: %24_12.JPG]

Then my favorite the threads!

[Image: f10c0085-ac26-431b-ad9c-d744e08463ec_zpsc597e8d7.jpg]

Then they had an auto'd version too!

[Image: d060f74b-a598-413d-8dfe-c688e59f3190_zps4ed8a684.jpg]

Idk, just an idea!! GL on your choice though!! Tongue
Wants:
2006 Bowman Sterling Red Refractors #RB1 JSY Reggie Bush 1/1
2006 SP Authentic Rookie Autographed NFL Logo Patches #252 JSY AU Reggie Bush 1/1
2006 Topps Red Hot Rookies Autographs #RB Reggie Bush/10

thanks for responding jplarson. I'll try to answer the best i can since these sets have evolved so much since i was a kid.

I would like something valuable but not too expensive. I like the parallel, jersey, and signature cards of the Rookie Debut set but something with low numbered insert cards would be good. I started comparing the Topp Chrome , Bowman Chrome, and Leaf Rookies and Stars. I bought a hobby box of the Leaf but I still would like to get the thoughts of others like yourself.

One other factor is availability of hobby boxes. I noticed some of these sets don't have many hobby boxes available anymore. Having more than one set to choose from helps in case I can only find 1 box of 1 set.
I like this set. I like the threads you said are your favorite. Thanks for sharing.

(11-07-2014, 07:00 PM)pudge27t Wrote: I always like SP Rookie Threads! It was pretty sweet!

The swatches were pretty sweet! They were numbered all over the place too! Like to /175, /99, /25 and /10, maybe more! I really don't know!

[Image: %24(KGrHqRHJEEFGNMnQb)TBRpD+Lr30w~~60_12.JPG]

Then you had the multi-colored ones like them!!

[Image: 21893c21-77b0-440b-bacd-acfd1590a72b_zps5f9900b7.jpg]

Then there were some "Rookie Numbers" I thought were pretty cool!

[Image: %24_12.JPG]

Then my favorite the threads!

[Image: f10c0085-ac26-431b-ad9c-d744e08463ec_zpsc597e8d7.jpg]

Then they had an auto'd version too!

[Image: d060f74b-a598-413d-8dfe-c688e59f3190_zps4ed8a684.jpg]

Idk, just an idea!! GL on your choice though!! Tongue

I like putting together a parallel of the basic Topps or Topps Chrome set. For example Topps Gold parallel, or Topps Chrome Refractors. The 2008 Topps Chrome cards refractors look nice with the black borders, but I also like the Blue Refractors from that year.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

so I did some poking around and kind of came up with what I'm looking for. I like the threads cards and started looking at 2008 Leaf Rookies & Stars but that set seems to have a lot of cards!

I'd like something with the threads cards but a low number of cards in the set/parallels.

Outside of Exquisite and National Treasures, I like the Donruss Threads. I guess I'm just a sucker for Nameplate cards.
Autos: 230/270=85.2% complete! Only 8 non 1/1's left!
Total: 614/643=95.5% only 29 non 1/1's to go 1/1's: 60/160=37.5%
[Image: tdwright13bennettbanner.jpg]

I would just caution to make sure the set is plentiful based on print run as it would be difficult to complete otherwise. This includes a set with a limited number of redemptions and making sure they were circulated. I remember trying to put together the set of 2006 Exquisite Endorsements /35 and came up 1-2 cards short because the time it took to find the cards and eventually opportunities to purchase became scarce and the redemption was never circulated despite UD's claims as in a half decade I never saw it for sale. It was a sucker punch to the gut considering the thoursands I pumped into the set which had 70 cards.

that's a great point! I took a look at some of the limited sets and it seems like there are very few boxes left to be purchased. I really like the Donruss Threads but I found 1 case available and very few boxes. I may stick with the Leaf Rookies & Stars since it's still available.

(11-14-2014, 09:59 AM)micorps Wrote: I would just caution to make sure the set is plentiful based on print run as it would be difficult to complete otherwise. This includes a set with a limited number of redemptions and making sure they were circulated. I remember trying to put together the set of 2006 Exquisite Endorsements /35 and came up 1-2 cards short because the time it took to find the cards and eventually opportunities to purchase became scarce and the redemption was never circulated despite UD's claims as in a half decade I never saw it for sale. It was a sucker punch to the gut considering the thoursands I pumped into the set which had 70 cards.

I want to add a thanks to everyone for responding for the discussion so far. I haven't collected cards since the early 90's so I really appreciate all the input. Still haven't selected "the set" but you all have helped me weed out some of the options.

I decided to go with the 2008 Leaf Limited. It was hard to select but after eliminating sets that have expired redemption and sets that I could only find 6 boxes of, I landed on Leaf.

I really liked the Topps Letterman and the Threads cards from various companies but boxes are very hard to find on anything that's not a retail set.

With that said, I was able to pull a 1/5 autographed Flacco threads and a few other 1/5 or 1/10 cards in the boxes I got.

Thanks to you all for helping me choose.