Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
1998 Playoff Contenders REGISTERED EXCHANGE

1998 Playoff Contenders REGISTERED EXCHANGE
[Image: photo_74_zps0bf742c4.jpg]

I was wondering if anyone had more information on this particular card???

It's a 1998 Playoff Contenders Ticket Red with a gold foil "NO. 37" stamped on the backside of the card.

To my understanding, the stamped "NO. 37" on the backside of the card represents the numbered set that was submitted as part of the 1998 Playoff Contenders registered exchange promotion. In 1998, Playoff ran a promotion where anyone who was able to collect each individual player within a subset from 1998 Playoff Contenders could submit the entire subset to Playoff. In exchange, Playoff would individually stamp each card on the back side with a gold foil number (i.e. each card player of the subset would be stamped NO. 1, each player of the next subset submitted would be stamped NO. 2, the players within the next set submitted would be stamped NO. 3, and so on...).

I was able to verify:
1998 Playoff Contenders Autograph Tickets - 8 registered exchange sets
1998 Playoff Contenders Pennants - 51 registered exchange sets
1998 Playoff Contenders Leathers - 51 registered exchange sets

However, I could not find any information for the number of 1998 Playoff Contenders Ticket Red registered exchange in existence. Being that both pennants and leathers are documented at exactly 51 sets, is it possible that the leathers/pennants/red tickets were "interchangeable?" For example, if you did not have the Playoff Contenders Pennant for Peyton Manning, you could submit the Playoff Contenders Leather for Peyton Manning? Or if you did not have the pennant or leather for Peyton Manning, you could submit his Red Ticket as part of the registered exchange program?

Any help/details/insight is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

RE: 1998 Playoff Contenders REGISTERED EXCHANGE
Its been awhile since I have seen one.... but that does not look like the stamp used for the registered Exchange I recollect.
Trying to finish these sets:
1999 Upper Deck Strike Force Quantum /100
2000 Score Complete Players Green/ Blue
2000 Leaf Piece of the Game Preview 4th Down Isaac Bruce
2008 Premier NFL Equipment /25 John Elway

Let me know if you have any available.

There are a few listed on eBay with the registered exchange stamped numbers (with images)

[Image: 98PlayoffContendersTicketRegisteredExchange29.jpg]
I have never seen a "Red" version.

Courey

As I told you via ebay, you have one interesting variant...hope others can chime in.

I still don't believe it was interchangable. In fact, someone had all three complete sets sold on ebay at one point (I think it was #25/51 on the leather and pennents and for sure #4/8 on the Tickets). Everyone drooled over the Tickets because of Peyton, Moss and Ward, but at NO time did he mention Red Ticket Parallel or Red parallel for leather and Pennents!

The stamping is correct, just that the red parallel wasn't (or shouldn't be) part of the "exchange" program.
With 20+ years collecting, this is the most comprehensive single player collection in the world! Beckett lists 4000+ cards - I'm at 95% completion!
[Image: jaderock-1-1-1.jpg]]

Thanks for all of the insight and input. Does anyone else know any more details on these???

I am beyond confused on this one. I knew about the Registered Exchange Pennants, Leather and auto Tickets, but not the non-auto tickets. I do not see these listed anywhere. Could this variation have flown underneath everyone's, including Beckett's, radar after all these years? Currently I believe that the "interchangeable" theory to be a viable one.
[Image: aoM1_zps2mg995on.gif]

My best advice would be to contact Panini. They have the records, at least they used to, to confirm the print runs of those particular sets. I did that when I purchased my Ward Registered Pennant.
Looking for Hines Ward rookies (that I do not have), low numbered parallels and autos. Also, Bowman Chrome Baseball autos.
I normally send trades on Tuesday's and/or Friday's due to work.

http://s244.photobucket.com/user/nynkefan7/library/?sort=6&page=1