`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Team Collectors I want to hear from you!

RE: Team Collectors I want to hear from you!

1. What team do you collect?
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

2. Why did you pick this team, how long have you been a fan etc.?
I grew up in the south west suburbs of Chicago and watched the Bears as a kid. I loved Willie Gault and Jerry Rice when I was young. Gault got traded and then I stopped liking the Bears. I was a bit of a Niner fan cause of Jerry in the early 90's. Then 3 guys came into the league which changed my team again for good. 3 guys were John Lynch, Derrick Brooks and Warren Sapp. I have been a fan since the mid 90's and will never change (even if they lose to Cleveland this weekend).

3. What years do you focus on?
I like any and all years.

4. Are you a completist collector, do you do parallels like Wild Card stripes, pro line autos? Do you do regional and food issues?
As long as there is a Bucs player on the card, I will take it.

5. Are there certain eras/years of your team you refuse to collect, for instance my buddy that is a Packers fan won't collect the era between Lombardi and Farve, basically the 70's and 80's?
I will do all eras and years. Even the the early 90's where there are more cards of lineman

6. Why did you choose being a team collector over a player collector and if you were going to collect just one player from your team who would it be? I am actually a team and player collector. I have always loved the idea of having a huge collection of certain things, whether it was cards, McFarlane figures, autographs, etc. I have 2 major player collections, Jerry Rice (over 1100 different) and Lavonte David (almost 200).

8. What do you consider a team card? Do you collect game cards that your team lost, like Super Bowls, Conference Champions ship games. Do you collect cards where a player from your team got traded and it shows him in his old uniform from your favorite team but has his new teams name/logo on it?
Any card with the Bucs logo on it is fine with me. I don't like the cards with the player in a Bucs uniform but a different logo on the front.

9. Do you collect draft pick cards like Star Pics, Classic, etc?
As long as they were drafted by the Bucs, I will take it.

I collect the Miami Dolphins Est. 1966

Not sure why i started but i remember getting into football around 1996. Before that it was marvel cards. (still is again now)
I loved watching Marino and Mcduffie and Abdul-Jabbar. It helped a ton my Dad is a Dolphins fan and had been since he was young. I have grown up and lived in Mass less than 20 min from the Patriots Home stadium and he never once tiold me to not be a fan of the pats. I just have loved the phins ever since i got into football and live and breath the phins.

I collect everything and any years of the Dolphins. I am starting to now go back and start from 1966 to get all the "base" cards i don't have. I have pretty much come to a hault on jersey cards. I will get them if they are cheep (like 1-2 each) I mainly like autos and patches just too much jersey junk out there.

4. Are you a completist collector, do you do parallels like Wild Card stripes, pro line autos? Do you do regional and food issues?
I LOVE old school inserts. I miss the days of RC's being SP'ed and not having 1 million different ones from the same company.

5. Are there certain eras/years of your team you refuse to collect, for instance my buddy that is a Packers fan won't collect the era between Lombardi and Farve, basically the 70's and 80's?
I collect them all from the horrid 07 season to the superbowl 72 years. I mainly focus on current guys and autos for my all time PC,

6. Why did you choose being a team collector over a player collector and if you were going to collect just one player from your team who would it be?
i always like having stuff of all the different players on the DOlphins. I do have a few player collection w/in my Dolphins pc. (wake, Odrick, Gadsden, Camarillo) but i do love picking up autos of thoes guys who had little playing time over getting another huge name auto.
I searched for years and finally found an auto of Cliff russell the one that sold before mine went for 50 bucks. It was his ONLY one in a dolphins uni and apparently i wasnt the only one looking. I found mine luckly as a BIN for 5 bucks. I couldn't hit the BIN fast enough.

7. For you team collectors of older teams like the Bears, Packers and Steelers do you get the very early cards or have you resigned yourself to never being able to own them?
If i can find some of the few 1965 stuff that was out for the phis i'll get it if i can afford it. But in the grand sceam 66 isn't as hard as the 30-40's stuff.

8. What do you consider a team card? Do you collect game cards that your team lost, like Super Bowls, Conference Champions ship games. Do you collect cards where a player from your team got traded and it shows him in his old uniform from your favorite team but has his new teams name/logo on it?
I collect anything w/ a dolphins LOGO. I have cards of guys who say they were traded to or signed by the dolphins but in a other teams uni. As long as it states on the dolphins some place it counts in my opinion.

I do i collect them not as hard core as the pro uni stuff. I will get the Press pass every year and not sell them till i see if they are on the phins or not.

Adding to my obsession.
I am currently on a quest you would say to obtain 1 auto of EVERY player to play at least 1 down for the Dolphins. ( i also include 3rd string qb's in this)
I have also recently added if i can get them cheep. TO get guys who were/ are on the practice squad and from the preseason.
I love getting these autos.
I recently got 4 autos in from TTM'ing in the last few days. Need to scan them in to show off.
Collecting Dolphins, PSU Alumni(in college uni)
[Image: catch.gif]

Like my Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/PHsportscards?ref=tn_tnmn

First of all I admit I am a player collector primarily, however I am also a team collector to a lesser extent. I feel that I can provide some useful input here. This is a good thread and some very solid questions are asked.
I collect select Philadelphia Eagle cards. Around 97-99 I used to collect Flyer cards. I was much more in to hockey back then compared to now (I still like hockey though). I have flirted with the idea of collecting a select number Phillies base cards as well, but I probably will not start that project for a while, if I ever do. Previously I thought of doing the same with the Orlando Magic since I have resided here in Orlando for a while now and it would be easy to find interesting collectibles of that team.
I have always supported Philadelphia teams since Philly is one of the regional markets near to my hometown.
I do not focus on one specific period.
I primarily like base. I also like simple inserts, regional and food issues. I do not focus on parallel, game worn gear or autograph cards.
No, not really.
6. Why did you choose being a team collector over a player collector and if you were going to collect just one player from your team who would it be?
Let me answer this question differently. I am a player collector of Penn State alums with a heavy concentration on a select few. I chose being this type of player collector because it gives me a chance to collect players on different teams, therefore I am not seeing the same green colors all the time (not that Kelly or Midnight green are bad colors mind you). It also gives me a smaller and more attainable spectrum, but not too small, of cards in each set to collect.
7. For you team collectors of older teams like the Bears, Packers and Steelers do you get the very early cards or have you resigned yourself to never being able to own them?
Pardon my self-indulgence here but I just recently picked this up:
[Image: _57_zpsdd708ee7.jpg]
These are 1936 Diamond Matchbooks. For $30 and shipping I got 12 of the 18 cards from this set in one shot. Considering I typically see the asking price at $15-$20 a card, I believe I made out fairly well. Anyway, good deals like this do not pop up every day.
I do not see myself ever paying top dollar for the older top line vintage stuff. Nonetheless I would consider paying a smaller amount for a card that may be in less than excellent shape which is an economical idea. I would also consider buying some of the more cost effective and better looking reprints that have been printed as a substitute for some. Purist collectors I know are freaking out.
As far as game cards are concerned – it depends. More often than not I would say no though.
I remember asking your second question on this site a couple years ago. Personally the team name or logo, whatever the case may be, is the determining factor of whether it goes in the team set or not IMHO. The company team checklist also demarcates it this way. In Lehman’s terms if a card features a player in an Eagle’s uniform but the card says “now with whoever” or has a different logo/team name I will not include it. I always thought that was a cheesy practice for card companies to do that though.
When I collected Flyer cards I would obsessively collect any player who ever played at least one game for the team, drafted by the team or was on the coaching staff of the team. It was a labor intensive project which required tons of research.
If they were drafted by the team you collect – absolutely.
10. Final Question for any Packer and Falcon fans. Do you collect Brett Farve rookie cards as part of your team collecting? If you are a Packer fan his rookie cards are technically Falcon cards and not Packer cards.
I do not collect Packers or Favre stuff, but if I did collect Packers cards I would not include Favre cards featuring him in a Falcons uniform in my collection.
If you do not mind, let add a couple additional questions of my own.
11. How do you amass your less expensive team base cards?
I previously have purchased card lot boxes of Eagles players and tried to compile complete team sets that way. Although it was fun seeing what I got I find it to be a much more pragmatic approach to buy complete team sets.
12. How do you store your team cards?
I place them in nine card pages or in other sized ones, whatever the case may require. It is much more enjoyable looking through them from a historical perspective as you flip through the years.
Conversely, virtually all of the cards in my player collections are stored in individual top loaders in specially marked boxes.
[Image: aoM1_zps2mg995on.gif]

1) The LSU Tigers and the New Orleans Saints

2)Lifelong fan of both the Tigers and the Who Dat Nation

3) All years

4)Whatever strikes my fancy. I have an underlying want to collect every base card possible, but I am in the process of collecting the Wild Card Stripes and limited edition hard to find older inserts, and of course, number ones

5)No. I proudly keep Mike Buck rookies and Danny Awful cards along with Brees and Archie Who.
I also have Cecil Collins cards LOL

6)Too many players to choose just one, but if you look at my collection, it seems I've spent a lot of time on Early Doucet and Stevan Ridley

7)If I can get it, I get it, if not, oh well

8)doesn't matter what uniform a Tiger is in. As to the Saints, I collect only cards that they are listed as Saints or pictured as Saints, EXCEPT rookies. Specifically, Contenders rookie autos. I try to collect all Contenders rookie autos of any player that has ever been on a Saints team. I have also started keeping cards of other players that feature a Saints player in the picture

9)Yes

10)As a Who Dat, it's hard for me to collect Falcons cards, but there are several LSU players that have played for them, and I LOVE Curtis Lofton, so I had to pick up his rookies in the Falcons uniform

I hope this helps!
[Image: 0a0d6456-0c97-44b9-873b-79f839312664_zpstsdq3axa.jpg]

(10-31-2014, 08:24 PM)duch2izback Wrote: I also have Cecil Collins cards LOL
As do I Sad ….. lol

PC - Dolphins, Daniel Thomas, Parker, Ajayi, Jordan, Landry & Phins 1/1's

(11-01-2014, 06:24 AM)phinzphan1372 Wrote: As do I Sad ….. lol
[Image: hi-res-167507459-leon-sandcastle-of-prim...4778aa.jpg]
[Image: 0a0d6456-0c97-44b9-873b-79f839312664_zpstsdq3axa.jpg]

The New York Jets.

I started following the Jets in 1982 in England when they started showing highlights on British TV, the Jets went to the AFC Championship game, losing to the Dolphins, they seemed exciting with the Sack Exchange, Gastineau, Klecko etc.

I collect everything from 1960 to now I do about 75% of the base sets today, and associated inserts, some parallels (Score, Prizm, Topps Gold), rookie autos. If I collected a set the previous year, I continue, if its a brand new set I tend to stay away.

I am a completist up to 1997. I do some parallels, I enjoy the extra challenge of trying to do Score down to Red Zone #ed to 20. I do the wild card stripes, completed pro line autos from the 1990's, I also love the oddballs, food and regional issues of the 60's and 70's.

No era yet I have said no to, all though I prefer not to remember the Kotite era of 1995-96. This year is tough also.

I appreciate every player who is a Jet, even though they are not all the same quality, or get the same fame. I enjoyed Mark Sanchez cards, along with Boomer Esiason, Vinny Testaverde, Geno Smith and all the other QB's, and all other positions. I get more pleasure of seeing a player get his first official Jets card, for example K Nick Folk than the 30th different true RC of Geno Smith. I have at least 300 different Jets players since 1982. Sets like 1997 Pacific Philadelphia were fantastic as a lot of players got their only football card, so it's a RC, stretching the old definition if its an insert but they are special to me. Who else cares about John Hudson, or Kwame Ellis but they were Jets.

7. For you team collectors of older teams like the Bears, Packers and Steelers do you get the very early cards or have you resigned yourself to never being able to own them? For example I know there are Dry Cleaner cards from the 30's of the Packers that are hard to find and expensive.
The Jets started in 1960 so their vintage is fairly cheap and easy to find. If it is the regionals or team issues, they are very hard to find and I've not pursued them. Do have a nice set of 1962 New York Titans Salada coins.

For me if it identifies it as a Jets card through name or logo I collect it. I don't consider cards with a Jets uniform but a different team name on it a team card and I refuse to collect those. I also collect league leader cards and some combo cards that have Jets players and other players from different teams on them even though you could make an argument they are not pure team cards.

I have collected Star Pics, Classic(it did put a Jets logo on them), Press Pass and Sage since the beginning.