`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Q? for PCs of retired players

Q? for PCs of retired players
Here's a gripe of mine being a collector of Isiah Thomas... the lack of different images being used for these cards. I realize he's been out of the league for 20 years now, but a simple Google image search would render some cool photos that could be used. Is it a licensing thing, or laziness? There a couple images in particular I wish they just would retire, lol.

Anyone else have a similar complaint about their PC?

RE: Q? for PCs of retired players
It's not as bad when both Fleer and upper deck used the same image.

Collect Patrick Ewing, Jalen Rose, Kevin Garnett, LaMarcus Aldridge, Jeff Green

if you have less than 25 trades, I will ask you to send first.

Main reason why I don't collect much of the new Bird/Magic and even on the MJ and Malone starting to back off. Really sucks that each year has 20+ different cards/variations/inserts, but the same darn photo.
That's why I liked a lot of the Chinese stuff...they were made with "stolen" photos. Yup...I think that's the thing is that they have to have the rights of the photo to publish it on merchandise (i.e. cards)
Collect Michael Jordan, Stockton/Malone/Hornacek/Eaton, Kresimir Cosic, Int'l oddballs
I specialize in hard to find oddities for player/team collectors
eBay Geonut (100+ auctions)
Int'l/player INVENTORY: http://www.hobbydisplay.com/geonut/

I'm a Knicks collector and Panini has been using lots of the same photos for Knicks players on cards. Especially for Anthony Mason, Larry Johnson. Panini's used just dreadful pics of Tim Hardaway Jr. this year which has completely turned me off to wanting most of his cards. Which is sad because I think he can become a great player in time. I can only dream for UD and/or Topps to get the license back. I doubt Panini would want to share it with them or anyone else.
Inconstancy is my very essence says the wheel Rise up on my spokes if ya like but dnt complain wen ya cast back down into the depths Good times pass away but then so do the bad Mutability is our tragedy but its also our hope The worst of times like the best are always passin away http://www.photobucket.com/vgqv

(09-18-2014, 01:58 PM)j_murphy11 Wrote: Here's a gripe of mine being a collector of Isiah Thomas... the lack of different images being used for these cards. I realize he's been out of the league for 20 years now, but a simple Google image search would render some cool photos that could be used. Is it a licensing thing, or laziness? There a couple images in particular I wish they just would retire, lol.

Anyone else have a similar complaint about their PC?
I have been having this same problem with my Bill Walton PC. Leaf and Upper Deck keep using the same boring photos. It drives me crazy and is one of the reasons I backed off of picking up non licensed products. That and most of the designs are bland.
[Image: 23892124190_71315005dc_b.jpg]

Continually have the problem with Mashburn.
Having said that, I would LOVE it if Panini or UD would produce some more Clarence Weatherspoon stuff and I wouldn't care if they used the same pic! lol
Collecting Clarence Weatherspoon

(09-18-2014, 06:29 PM)taffster74 Wrote: It's not as bad when both Fleer and upper deck used the same image.
hasn't upper deck owned the entire fleer brand name/product line since 2007 ?
I collect almost anyone else with ties to the state of South Carolina (especially ANY SC Gamec0cks) , + most parallels and rare 90's inserts
check out my site for tons of wantlists : claude's card corner

What are you talking about? I never noticed! I'm sure it is just a small oversight on Panini's part! (I should organize these by image and re-shoot them. It's funny seeming them all side-by-side, you know funny in that I'm so stupid for buying the same card board image over and over again type of way)

[Image: 4fae9b2e39a23c1f5606657e8af9a05c_zps2e519e1c.jpg]
[Image: dc5acb519793cb1f9a45ac9b3e2d8c73_zps3a45e2e8.jpg]
[Image: f6d6b8657df3839898ac96714578f1e4_zps3487d6d0.jpg]
[Image: 4805ca9de353a47431203e6e260888d1_zps473e5d3e.jpg]
[Image: 411ad074e431ac303047840059b4b9c9_zps4f9bbbef.jpg]
[Image: 7e961a892dca0ed86ae1850d6bee0500_zps5977f69f.jpg]
[Image: c19e923ecab978293a9bf66cb100ffd8_zpsa31c478a.jpg]
[Image: afbbba926611b9dd3543101a91bdd0fb_zps759e5898.jpg]
[Image: null_zpsb5617459.jpg]
[Image: lnuVdUL.png]

(09-18-2014, 01:58 PM)j_murphy11 Wrote: Is it a licensing thing, or laziness?
Laziness, but they get away with it. We buy the cards, don't we? They just made maximum money for minimal effort. This is rather like when a card is numbered to 1, 10, 25, 50, 100, 250, 500, etc, and the only difference is the background color. I ca n't remember the last time I saw a different picture on a player's card when there were multiple counted subsets for him.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.