`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Are the Browns, Dolphins, Bills and Jets Hobby Killers?

RE: Are the Browns, Dolphins, Bills and Jets Hobby Killers?
(08-31-2014, 06:38 PM)butterworth1326 Wrote: Joe Thomas, Ahtyba Rubin, Alex Mack, Joe Haden, TJ Ward, Jordan Cameron, Phil Taylor, Barkevious Mingo, Buster Skrine, Leon McFadden, sure I'm missing a few, all drafted by browns and are starters in NFL

The problem isn't the browns, maybe the planners at the photoshoot need to pick different players.. Smile lol
I like a few of those players. From a hobby standpoint, though, you don't see a lot of Joe Haden and Joe Thomas since their rookie season (and they aren't the skill position guys who seem to get all of the attention. TJ Ward still doesn't get the love. The other guys haven't done much yet. I love the name Barkevius Mingo. That's a "Key and Peele" sketch name if I've ever heard one.

(08-31-2014, 06:49 PM)bbniner80 Wrote: That is why I am a set builder and not a player collector. In trading, I will get the popular players and the players from my team for trades only with other traders to get cards I need.
I'm a set builder now as well. I get my players and a few surprise winners as well.

(08-31-2014, 02:03 PM)yankeesjetsfan Wrote: I wouldn't call the Jets hobby killers. Sure they drafted some stinkers, but they also drafted Mohammad Wilkerson, Sheldon Richardson and so far, Calvin Pryor looks like a beast.

Mike
To follow up, since 2006 for the Jets, who were high picks and who if any went to the Rookie Premiere, it is weighted towards skill positions as well as top 10 picks, Jets had a lot of top 10 picks. Also, I think there are a reasonable number of Jets collectors, the players at the rookie Premiere were from USC, Florida etc, teams with large support, so those cards move, initially for high dollars before becoming junk box cards.

2006 1st Rd (4th overall) OT D'Brickashaw Ferguson & C Nick Mangold
Rookie Premiere 2nd rd QB Kellen Clemens (bust) and 4th rd RB Leon Washington (excellent change of pace back and returner until injured)

2007 1st Rd CB Darrelle Revis
Rookie Premiere Nobody

2008 1st Rd (6th overall) LB Vernon Gholston and TE Dustin Keller
Rookie Premiere Dustin Keller, ok TE but not pro bowl level, now gone

2009 1st Rd (traded up to 5th overall) QB Mark Sanchez
Rookie Premiere Sanchez and 3rd rd RB Shonn Greene (average at best). Sanchez always causes arguments, never a Pro Bowler but 4 playoff road wins, so not a total bust, got screwed IMHO by the Jets fromt office in 2011 when they opened up the offense and dumped his receivers at the same time after the players strike.

2010 1st Rd CB Kyle Wilson
Rookie Premiere 4th rd RB Joe McKnight, USC but not an NFL star, highest offensive skill position in Jets draft.

2011 1st Rd DE Muhammad Wilkerson
Rookie Premiere 4th Rd Bilal Powell, now a serviceable back with Chris Ivory and Chris Johnson, everyone who burst packs got a Bilal Powell. Again, highest offensive skill position drafted by the Jets

2012 1st Rd DE/OLB Quinton Coples
Rookie Premiere 2nd Rd WR Stephen Hill, just cut, league found out he was not tough and had bad hands, dropping two many balls when healthy, ton of unsigned cards still to be redeemed

2013 1st Rd CB Dee Milliner (9th overall, the Revis pick) & DT Sheldon Richardson
Rookie Premiere 2nd Rd QB Geno Smith, no brainer, hoping he carries on improving

2014 1st Rd S Calvin Pryor
Rookie Premiere 7th Rd QB Tajh Boyd, cut this week, so he will account for a lot of filler in packs. Not yet resigned to practice squad if at all, I hope he is still not in sets like Contenders in Jan / Feb as they did with 2012 preseason cut Terrance Ganaway and 2013 training camp cut WR Marcus Davis using on auto stickers supply, very annoying for team set builders like me who dont know how many there are if ever for weeks after the release.

The rookie prermiere unless it is a top pick like a Matthew Stafford, Andrew Luck, Adrian Peterson is a way to make packs / boxes look better because of the event worn patches of many busts or average players who get limited rookie playing time.

With the number if players drafted each year, of course every team will find a lineman or defensive player that may shine. That wasn't the point. These aren't the guys usually invited to the rookie premier shooting. I'm amazed at how other teams are pretty good at judging talent outside of the 1st round at the skill positions.

Outside of Jets' fans, nobody wants to pull those players (fillers). They are invited because they are skill position guys. Maybe the teams mentioned just need to do a better job at picking the talent for those positions.

I remember the Sanchez pick. No one outside the Jets organization thought he should have been drafted in the round he was. He managed the team while the defense powered that team into the playoffs. His cards are pretty worthless and cheap to obtain now.

I have uncompleted sets from 2010 where KyleWilson did not feel it was important to get cards signed.

I also was a Keller fan as well. Outside of Curtis Martin, I have zero interest in pulling any modern Jets players. Of course, there will be a lot of players to choose from showing up in the packs/boxes I open.

I'm not knocking the fan base of anybody's team. The key is to recognize that no one else wants to see them in every packet every year.

Some teams are good enough that they don't always have any players at the rookie premier because they aren't drafting for the same skill positions in top rounds over and over. I can think of the Packers a couple of years ago another Steelers as well.