`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone Remember Tommy Soderstrom? I Sure Do...

Anyone Remember Tommy Soderstrom? I Sure Do...
Time to mix up the memorabilia. Got a bunch of jerseys for the 'ole collection recently, but haven't really had a chance to add any other type of goalie piece in a while. I'll be honest, that with the opening of my martial arts business, work, and life's existential questions continually hounding me, I even forgot that I picked this piece up.

This here is a Tommy Soderstrom game worn goalie blocker, used by him in the 1993-94 season's latter half. Soderstrom, born July 17, 1969 in Stockholm, Sweden was a n 11th round pick of the Flyers in the 1990 NHL Entry Draft and made his NHL debut in 1992-93, taking over the starting role from the recently traded Ron Hextall, appearing in 44 games and recording five shutouts. The following year, the sophomore jinx may have hit Soderstrom as his record dipped to 6-18-4 in 34 games. He was traded to the Islanders before the beginning of the 1994-95 season. There, he played for the three seasons, eventually mentoring a young Tommy Salo, before leaving the NHL after the 1996-97 season. In 156 games for the Flyers and Islanders, Soderstrom recorded a 45-69-19 record with a 3.63GAA, 10 shutouts, and a 0.884% save average.

This blocker, which can be definitely photomatched to the 1994-95 Fleer Ultra base card of Soderstrom was used in the ending half of the 1993-94 NHL season. An unusual curved style of blocker, it features amazing puck indentations and a brilliant embroidering of Mr. Soderstrom's name on the top of the thumb portion of the blocker. A great piece of an oft-forgotten goaltender!

[Image: soderstromblocker1_zps41147fc3.jpg]

[Image: soderstromblocker2_zps5bb4ce0a.jpg]

[Image: soderstromblocker3_zps7a86b4f5.jpg]

[Image: soderstromblocker4_zps2bdb0e4d.jpg]

[Image: soderstrommatch_zps4687f241.png]

RE: Anyone Remember Tommy Soderstrom? I Sure Do...
Who could forget the helmet!! LOL
[Image: Golies_zps1b8a9baa.jpg]

yeah, Who could forget his Jofa helmet, him and Jagr. jeeze man.
Looking for: Brandon Nolan, Manon Rheaume
Trilogy Ice Scripts / Ultimate Collection Premium Patches
2011-12 Upper Deck Ice / 2008-09 Upper Deck Ice
1995-96 Bowman / 1995-96 Select Certified / 1995-96 Playoff 1 on 1
2014-15 Upper Deck MVP / 2005-06 Upper Deck Ice Fresh Ice Patches

That mask, still reminds me of a toilet bowl for some reason. The shell was alright, Irbe used a similar one in the beginning of his career, but the cage is so disproportionately large on Soderstrom's mask, that it makes him look like Dark Helmet from Spaceballs.