`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Pickup So Special, It Deserves It's Own Thread!

A Pickup So Special, It Deserves It's Own Thread!
First a small background story.

When I was a kid, I got into cards because two of my older cousins were into collecting. I loved sports, and this was just another way I could enjoy them. When I was 10, my nanny gave me her collection- I was hooked. I read the backs of cards on rainy days, and memorized countless names and statistics across the MLB and NBA. I was bigger into the NBA then, as I loved Michael Jordan- after all, he was a Tar Heel- and coincidentally the best basketball player to ever walk the planet.

Once I got a little older, and understood more about cards- there was always one holy grail in basketball collecting to me- that I thought I would never accomplish.

My cousin (who was aforementioned, and still collects,) bought my holy grail, as it was always his as well- last summer at the National in Chicago, as I looked on in awe and jealousy.

Flash forward to this summer, when my cousin decides to pursue the ENTIRE 1909-1911 T206 set from baseball. (it could take him the rest of his life to complete it,) but he decided to sell off almost everything else to pursue it.

He's always been extremely generous, and like a big brother to me.

He must've been in a giving mood, as he insisted on selling this to me for a cool $400!!!!!!!!!!
Without further ado- my Holy Grail!!!!

1986-87 Fleer Michael Jordan RC PSA 5 Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
[Image: 1986-87FleerMichaelJordanRCPSA5_zpsb120b0d5.jpg]

My Website: thepointguard.weebly.com
Also Collecting: Five Star Autos, '50s Topps Sets
Current Top Wants: '15 Chipper Jones & Other Five Star Autos
[Image: PGBanner_zps899b0bff.jpg]

RE: A Pickup So Special, It Deserves It's Own Thread!
Ummm yep! Don't have the words! Congrats!
[Image: 9tnms3F.png]
Collecting Tom Brady, Rob Gonkowski, Mike Trout and Baseball HOF Relics

NICE!! I want one so badly. I'm trying to keep all my higher-end MJs at 8.5 and above, but there's no way I can afford that on this. I'm hoping to find a 7 at some point, but that thing is some serious eye candy even in that grade.

Many congrats man!!
I collect Michael Jordan, Mitch Richmond, and Ohio State players (football and basketball) in OSU gear. I strongly prefer 90's-era cards and use newer cards primarily for trade bait!

[Image: buckunteer_edited-2-1.gif]

The grand daddy of basketball card!

Yes, it's worth it's own thread!

NOTHING beats the 1st time you get a MJ rookie, especially for the 90's guys...

congrats!

Collecting BGS 9.5 MJ 90's inserts

[Image: MJBGS95PC_zpsaa817dfe.jpg]

Sweet!
-Aries
The Zodiac Collection
Boston Celtics Auto's Past & Present Super Collector
https://www.flickr.com/photos/156376773@...0713393666

Thanks guys, I'm still really excited about it!

Excellent pickup! The card alone is nice, but is think most of us have seen many mailday posts with this cad though. Your story makes the post exciting. It's great to see an amazing collector get such a nice card and be truly excited about it. I'm always very happy for a collector who gets something for their collection that excites them and isn't about the value of the item. Congratulations on the amazing PC addition.
[Image: lnuVdUL.png]

(08-14-2014, 10:03 PM)SHowley2003 Wrote: Excellent pickup! The card alone is nice, but is think most of us have seen many mailday posts with this cad though. Your story makes the post exciting. It's great to see an amazing collector get such a nice card and be truly excited about it. I'm always very happy for a collector who gets something for their collection that excites them and isn't about the value of the item. Congratulations on the amazing PC addition.
Thanks man, I appreciate your post as well- and the back-story is what makes it truly even more special to me!

Sick! Always like to see one of the most iconic cards in our hobby.
NBA 50 GREATEST AUTOGRAPHS - 48/50 - 96%

50 Greatest still need - Chamberlin, Maravich.