`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
OT: My PaPa & the Yankees

OT: My PaPa & the Yankees
So my PaPa (my maternal Grandfather) who is my only living grandparent turned 90-years-old this past March, was over at my house for Game Night (He comes over on Tuesdays and Thursdays each week. He lives two houses down from us.) and he is getting more and more frail and feeble. He was saying how he has lived through most of Babe Ruth's career and jolting Joe's career and the Mick's career and now the Captain, Derek Jeter's career. He was born in March of 1924. Or how he says it, March of 19 and 24.

I just thought I'd share this.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

RE: OT: My PaPa & the Yankees
That's pretty cool...the man has seen lots of baseball, and some pretty amazing players also!
Collecting: Fred McGriff, Chipper, Griffey, and Todd Helton.
[Image: 0989_001-1.jpg]

Yes he has!

Awesome!

This is the quote that I have emblazoned across the front page of my website:

"The one constant through all the years... has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It's been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt, and erased again. But baseball has marked the time...This game, is a part of our past...It reminds us of all that once was good, and that could be again." . . . "Field of Dreams"

In 90 years he has seen a lot of things come and go yet baseball remains a constant.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

He has seen a lot of things come and go. I better stop before I get started on politics. Times were much simpler back then. One story that he told us (He actually wrote down his thoughts about his life on a notepad and then I typed them up, so we can always have a record.) was when the group of kids got together and they played tricks on the parents, by switching the kids in the covered wagons. It seems awkward because I took the parts about religion out of the story.

Awesome stuff Nolan.......

(07-30-2014, 01:08 PM)zeprock Wrote: Awesome!

This is the quote that I have emblazoned across the front page of my website:

"The one constant through all the years... has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It's been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt, and erased again. But baseball has marked the time...This game, is a part of our past...It reminds us of all that once was good, and that could be again." . . . "Field of Dreams"

In 90 years he has seen a lot of things come and go yet baseball remains a constant.
Zep...was having a really really rough week last week but was able to go to the Phils / Giants afternoon game with 2 of my girls. Was sitting there and looking around, seeing all the families (young and old), everyone happy and smileing, beautiful day, great game........... thought about James Earl Jones (Terrance Mann) giving that speech. Awesome!

*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

(07-30-2014, 02:56 PM)Phillies_Joe Wrote: Awesome stuff Nolan.......
I forgot to put this in my original post. My PaPa was married to my Nanny for 62 years. My Nanny passed away on January 7th 2010. She went septic and there was nothing that they could do to keep her from dying. I also went septic a short time later in 2010 and we all know how that turned out.

So in addition to becoming more and more frail and feeble, he's also becoming more and more lonely. He's been without Nanny for 4 years now. It's just a matter of time before he moves in with us.

I love stories like that...My grandfather was born in 1915...He passed away in 2008. He would tell me stories about the greats and how baseball changed throughout the years. He went to many of the old stadiums and saw all the old timers. he said when he was around 5 or 6 he went to the games and some people actually went to games on horseback because most could not afford cars. This is why the youth of today should pick the brains of the elder folk to hear history and to actually hear it first hand.
[Image: rm1_zpsecc24267.jpg]

(07-30-2014, 10:35 PM)yankeeempire Wrote: I love stories like that...My grandfather was born in 1915...He passed away in 2008. He would tell me stories about the greats and how baseball changed throughout the years. He went to many of the old stadiums and saw all the old timers. he said when he was around 5 or 6 he went to the games and some people actually went to games on horseback because most could not afford cars. This is why the youth of today should pick the brains of the elder folk to hear history and to actually hear it first hand.
First, I'm sorry about your Grandfather. Thank You for contributing to my thread!!

My PaPa's Mom (Mama Callie) was born in 1886 and passed away in 1975. I was born in September that same year. She actually held me as a baby. And then in December of '75 is when she passed away. My parents say they could just shoot themselves because they didn't take pictures of her holding me.