`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's your opinion about 2014 Archives

What's your opinion about 2014 Archives
Just wondering what everyone's opinion is about this years Topps Archive set. Good, Bad, or Indifferent. I have the 2012 and 2013 sets. Not sure if I am willing to pay the price to complete this years. I need to hear some voices to steer me in the right direction. I already know the direction my wife's voices are going... LOL
[Image: HAAron_zps59cd76b2.jpg]
Looking to trade for any Hall of Fame Topps base cards.

RE: What's your opinion about 2014 Archives
To me, Archives was awesome in 2001 when it first came out and through, like, 2004ish. These newer versions though just don't do it for me. Why do I want a Bip Roberts card in the Topps 1985 design?
[Image: Signature_zpsnepr034k.jpg]

(06-21-2014, 08:34 PM)reagle beagle 37 Wrote: To me, Archives was awesome in 2001 when it first came out and through, like, 2004ish. These newer versions though just don't do it for me. Why do I want a Bip Roberts card in the Topps 1985 design?
Actually it was 1993 and had the 1953 topps design. I bought a box myself and pulled the david wright mini auto.
Me I have mixed feeling about the set myslef.

[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

IMO, should be an insert set within another product. This is the one product that I most def. only collect my pc stuff through trade or single card purchase. Everyone has thier own fav. year designs, but a rehash of a rehash...overkill .
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

There are a lot of cards in the set depicting players that I collect but I will try to trade for them or pick them up off the secondary market. The cards I've seen so far from this year's set seem a little less inspiring than the previous couple of year's sets. The photos don't look quite as clear and the inserts I've seen don't seem to have had a lot of effort put into them to make them look nice. The All-Star Boggs card I have from that set looks like a cheap knockoff on inferior card stock and produced with a less detailed printing process.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

i picked up a case last year, and really liked it. this set in 2014 was massively shortprinted in comparison to last year (thus the higher prices), but the major league inserts didnt do much for me

i like the fact that they didnt print as many this year - im hearing less than half - because in general i like to see that. that being said, i wish they hadnt done it with archives because it's a GREAT set at 50/60 dollars a box

I was always a fan of archives. Yeah you may get Bip Roberts and some other commons from the 80s and such.. Sure beats having an auto from an unknown prospect whos like 12 years old and who knows if he'll even play in the majors? (sarcastic..). Still. I dig the fan fav autos. Plus it's on card. If I didn't go for the gypsy set this year, archives would have been a strong second.
Looking to complete the 2013 Archives Mets fan favorite Au's (Just need Ron Darling) and 2014 Topps Gypsy Queen set mini base + SPs. Also working on 2015 Topps Chrome and updates. Please note that if you have less than 15 trades, I ask that you send first.

I was not counting the '53, '54, or Brooklyn Dodgers archives set because they came out, like eight years before the 2001 topps 450 card set.
[Image: Signature_zpsnepr034k.jpg]

I love retro designs of cards, but Heritage does a really great job of that, on the heavier card stock, so I'm not a huge Archives fan. I actually liked Lineage more than Archives, because it had the retro feel with new designs and a good mix of old/current players. 1980-2000 card designs .... Do they really need to be revisited at all? The (only, IMO) best thing about Archives is the on-card autos!
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

Not a huge fan. Bought a couple of blasters from Target with the $5 off coupon from series 1. Will take out my PC cards and then trade the rest. Will look to trade/buy rest of my PC cards.

Got lucky and got a couple of Tanaka SP rookies and Bill Russell gold auto (/50) so that will almost offset the cost.