`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
reslabbing or regrading?

reslabbing or regrading?
So I picked up a sweet MJ recently: 96-97 class acts atomic refractor w/ Stackhouse in a BGS 8.5. Great card but I have a couple issues with it. First off, it was slabbed with Stackhouse on the front which makes little sense because, no offense to Stackhouse collectors *cough TBarn cough* Smile , but MJ is obviously the more collectible guy on the card and he's also the front of the card and Stackhouse is considered the back so I definitely want it reslabbed.

Also, the grade itself has me confused. Centering=8 (common issue on these), Edges=10, Corners=10, Surface=9.5. I really don't understand why that's not a BGS 9 overall. Further, I know the centering is weighted more heavily on the front than the back, and the MJ side (front) is centered noticeably better than the Stackhouse side (back). I'm concerned that maybe since the Stackhouse side was slabbed as the front the centering grade was done incorrectly.

Not sure if that all makes sense or not, but essentially I'm trying to decide if I should get it just reslabbed or completely regraded. Any help would be appreciated! I'll get a scan up soon so you can see what I'm talking about!
I collect Michael Jordan, Mitch Richmond, and Ohio State players (football and basketball) in OSU gear. I strongly prefer 90's-era cards and use newer cards primarily for trade bait!

[Image: buckunteer_edited-2-1.gif]

RE: reslabbing or regrading?
I am not sure about them being able to reslab just based on a preference (although I agree with you). As far as centering, it is one of the grades that the overall grade can only be .5 higher than the centering. For example I personally sent in my MJ RC. I knew it was going to get hit hard with a lower centering grade. It received a 6.5 on centering and had two 9's and one 8.5 and got an overall grade of BGS 7. Unless you think the centering is higher than a 8 than the grade would stand.

[Image: Nick.jpg]

I think you have a valid case for a reslab and a regrade based on the facts you mentioned. Jordan is definitely considered the front therefore the grade on the centering should weight higher on the MJ vs the Stackhouse side. I have only sent cards back for reslab due to incorrect labeling or foreign object(s) in slab and they did it at no charge to me. Go ahead and post some pics/scans of the front and back, or back and front in this case...lol

Thanks for the opinions. I feel like a reslab is certainly a legitimate request at the very least. As far as the card itself, here ya go (with the other recent MJ pickup)

[Image: newMJs6-16001_zpsd7e9dfcd.jpg]

the MJ side isn't bad. L-R is at worst 60-40, looks dead-on to the naked eye. top to bottom is a bit rough but not terrible. The stackhouse side has the same top to bottom issue but is also pretty noticeably to the left. I feel like 8 is probably correct if Stackhouse is the front, but that it could eek out an 8.5 centering if MJ is considered the front, which would bump the whole card to a 9 which would be great!
I collect Michael Jordan, Mitch Richmond, and Ohio State players (football and basketball) in OSU gear. I strongly prefer 90's-era cards and use newer cards primarily for trade bait!

I don't know enough aboutnjudging grading, but it would want it re slabbed based on the card being backwards. That would bug the heck out of me. Would you consider cracking it yourself and sending it in raw?
[Image: lnuVdUL.png]

I'd see about a reslab... I have the same card but as you can see, jordan is on front as he should be.

[Image: DSC_0324.jpg]
NBA 50 GREATEST AUTOGRAPHS - 48/50 - 96%

50 Greatest still need - Chamberlin, Maravich.

'preciate the feedback guys. I got my group submission cards back and will be posting scans of them shortly. Believe it or not, BGS screwed up again. I had a 98-99 mystery finest MJ/Kobe that graded out gem mint! So what's the problem, you ask? They put Kobe on the front which makes absolutely 0 sense given that: a.) I had submitted only Mitch Richmonds and Michael Jordans, so clearly I collect MJ and not Kobe. b.) Kobe is actually the back of the card anyhow. So now I've got a couple cards I definitely want reslabbed, and potentially regrading the atomic refractor!

I'd go with the regrade over reslab. Never done so myself but plan on it with a Vince Chrome refractor I picked up that IMO graded too low. Best of luck whatever you decide!

Lol I think they graded that MJ/Stackhouse for me Smile. You might as well go ahead and trade/sell it to me. I used to argue with my buddy over keeping the Stackhouse side up in my card notebook.
[Image: 23892124190_71315005dc_b.jpg]