`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RIP, Tony Gwynn

RE: RIP, Tony Gwynn
Tony Gwynn was the best pure hitter since Ted Williams! Period.

I was shocked when I heard of his passing on the radio today. Had no idea he was ill. The game has lost a true ambassador. May he rest in peace!

I know we all Razz each other about our favorite teams and rivalries and standings...But we are all fans of baseball and today baseball lost a truly remarkable man and great player. As a avid Yankees fan I eat,breathe,sleep Yankees but I am also a fan of baseball no matter what team. Today when I heard the news my heart sank and I felt disheartened not only for his family but for those of us who love the game and who love the hobby of collecting these players on cardboard. Today we all stand united in mourning for a Father, Hall of Famer and a heck of a ball player. Today we all are Padre fans.
[Image: rm1_zpsecc24267.jpg]

One of the best pure hitters I've ever seen if not the best, rip!
[Image: drdwe0.jpg]

What a legend and such a sad day. I truly can't think of a more classier man then Tony Gwynn, and his sweet, sweet swing. True loss in the baseball world and its' Icons.
(06-16-2014, 03:28 PM)yankeeempire Wrote: I know we all Razz each other about our favorite teams and rivalries and standings...But we are all fans of baseball and today baseball lost a truly remarkable man and great player. As a avid Yankees fan I eat,breathe,sleep Yankees but I am also a fan of baseball no matter what team. Today when I heard the news my heart sank and I felt disheartened not only for his family but for those of us who love the game and who love the hobby of collecting these players on cardboard. Today we all stand united in mourning for a Father, Hall of Famer and a heck of a ball player. Today we all are Padre fans.
+1....

You just couldn't help but respect this man.
[Image: Exposfan09.jpg]

"Because some men aren't looking for money. They can't be bought, bullied, or reasoned with. Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Collecting Ryan Zimmerman and Marquis Grissom!

he was always a favorite...can't think of anyone who ever had a bad thing to say about him.

Even when I play the game today, I will always, always be a contact hitter to get that sweet average. As a kid, I wanted to hit like Gwynn anywhere I want. Let the guys behind me drive me in, I just want to get on base. He will be missed for sure. RIP fella.
Looking to complete the 2013 Archives Mets fan favorite Au's (Just need Ron Darling) and 2014 Topps Gypsy Queen set mini base + SPs. Also working on 2015 Topps Chrome and updates. Please note that if you have less than 15 trades, I ask that you send first.

(06-16-2014, 11:23 AM)zeprock Wrote: Sad news indeed. He was my age. As others said, a true class act. We'll miss you Tony.
Likewise: what a great citizen of the baseball community. I wish that more ball players today would try and emulate Tony. I especially liked it when he came to town and ripped into the Mets. Smile
RIP Tony ... If there's baseball in heaven there are battles being waged between all the teams over their next #1 draft pick, as we speak Smile
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

After the '81 MLB strike, I was fed up and quit following baseball. Slowly over time I watched a game here or there and then in about '86 I started noticing two skilled hitters who manipulated the bat like a pool cue, placing the ball with intent, not just swinging and hoping for a hit. Carew and Brett were the first I ever saw do this in the 70s and in the 80s it was Wade Boggs and Tony Gwynn. Due in part to Gwynn I was interested in baseball again. As great of a hitter as he was, what I admired about him most was his passion and devotion to baseball and San Diego and his humility when compared to greats like Ted Williams.
Twitter: @Coimbre21 - Collecting Carl Yastrzemski Topps, Jimmie Foxx, 1966 Topps Venezuelan, 2010 Topps Tribute HOF Relics & Autos, L.A. Rams Autos

I'm completely devastated hearing the passing of Gwynn. Definitely one of my childhood idols. Gwynn was humble with a kind heart he will be truly missed!

Rest in peace tony we all miss you
https://rad3427.imgbb.com/
WANT LIST
1. Nolan Arenado RCs (all colors)
2. Ken Griffey Jr (90s inserts)
3. Bryce Harper RCs (all colors)
4. Mookie Betts 
5. Juan Soto

1st Don Zimmer & now Gwynn. I feel a part of my childhood is gone. I will miss these 2 gentlemen. Now I need to bid online to get their auto to remember them & put them in my PC.