`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Ultra Pro Platinum Series penny sleeves...a rant

Ultra Pro Platinum Series penny sleeves...a rant
About two years about I bought a case of Ultra Pro Platinum Series penny sleeves. The reason I bought a case is because I was putting a lot of my cards into books/binders and Ultra Pro Platinum sleeves are the only ones I have found that do not "puff out" the 9 card pages. (You know how some sleeves will get wavy/wrinkly when you put them in pages?)

Anyway, the front of each Ultra Pro Platinum Series package boasts that they have "consistent sizing."

That is a huge crock.

I end up having to throw out anywhere from 20-50 sleeves out of each package of 100 because sometimes they don't even cover the top of the card!

If anyone is interested, I made a video about it that will maybe help illustrate my point better:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBhsBIoDN3E

(If you want to skip the middle/boring part, just watch the first minute and then skip to 10:45.)
There is a God and his name is Billy Joel

RE: Ultra Pro Platinum Series penny sleeves...a rant
I've had the same problem with some and I just mark them off the list of ones that I'll buy. I usually buy a test pack for that reason. I've used Cardboard Gold for the past couple of years for both sleeves and toploaders and I've been very happy... they make quality products.
#1 on the PSA Registry Marino Master set
* Always buying ANY reasonably priced Marino card(s) I don't already have *
-- WANT LIST LINK --

I do like Cardboard Gold, but the last time I tried them they did not fit in in the 9 card pages snug enough. I have several packages of their top loaders, though, because they make sizes that aren't available from other companies.

Maybe I should give their sleeves another try.

The Cardboard Gold 8x10 photo toploads I bought recently were not square or even with a flat bottom edge on the inside. It won't necessarily keep me from buying them again but it was disappointing.

The penny sleeves that I have been buying in recent years (all I believe are the Ultra Pro brand) seem to be receding more and more from the top. I don't like that. I will vouch your observation. The ones that I have purchased previously are longer leaving about a 1/4" clearance space at the top, which is more like it. This is perhaps Ultra Pro's way of saving a little bit of money on material thinking that no one will notice, but it is not true. They are hurting the quality of their product as a result.

Since we are talking about penny sleeves, I am also not impressed with the ones they make that are designed for thicker cards. The design is typically terrible. The card area towards the bottom is "baggy", for lack of a better description, and sometimes the sleeve with card will not even fit inside a corresponding top loader.

I also hate that I have to throw away a fraction of these sleeves due to the occasional tiny "bumps" that are inside. When a card is inserted there typically is an indentation left in the card surface as a result. That is bad production.
[Image: aoM1_zps2mg995on.gif]

I'm not understanding, sorry: You are putting cards kin penny sleeves and then putting them into the 9-card binder pages? I don't know why you would do this, personally. Have I been doing this wrong just putting cards in one or the other?
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

(07-19-2014, 07:44 PM)jonathani Wrote: I'm not understanding, sorry: You are putting cards kin penny sleeves and then putting them into the 9-card binder pages? I don't know why you would do this, personally. Have I been doing this wrong just putting cards in one or the other?
I was wondering that too..but anyways, I'm pretty sure those are found at walmart, and walmart doesn't know the term quality and more than likely they are rejected from another store.

But enough of walmart. I don't put penny sleeves in pages but I do run into the sizing problem from time to time. I like a little space above the card so I usually try them on a card before I buy. But I've never seen different sizes in same package.

Take a pic of the receipt, email your concerns, and free ones show up in no time

I agree with putting cards in a penny sleeve if you're using a 9 card page setup. This is especially true of anything with a shiny surface. Those 9 page deals will often scuff refractor type cards.
#1 on the PSA Registry Marino Master set
* Always buying ANY reasonably priced Marino card(s) I don't already have *
-- WANT LIST LINK --

(07-20-2014, 09:31 AM)no1dolphan Wrote: I agree with putting cards in a penny sleeve if you're using a 9 card page setup. This is especially true of anything with a shiny surface. Those 9 page deals will often scuff refractor type cards.
You can also remove the card more safely from the 9 card page as well if it is in a sleeve, in case you would like to rearrange the cards in your album.
I would like to store more of my cards in 9 card pages but I am not impressed with the quality of product out there, at least what I know of.
[Image: aoM1_zps2mg995on.gif]

I never used to put cards in sleeves before putting them in 9 card pages, but then I had some cards actually stick to the slots in the 9 card pages so I started using penny sleeves before inserting them in the pages. It works much better that way, imo. The plastic used for the 9 card pages just isn't soft enough to protect the cards properly.