`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
no more pre 2001 pricing in baseball Beckett

RE: no more pre 2001 pricing in baseball Beckett
(05-27-2014, 06:56 PM)Midwestconnection Wrote: just a cheap tactic to influence people to pay for the org, typical
Or a way to save boatloads of money and pass these savings on through quality or quantity to the consumer. How often to people pick up the magazine to check prices from decades ago? Better, yet: After picking it up and getting their answers, how many still buy the magazine anyway?
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

(05-29-2014, 08:43 PM)chrisolds Wrote: The pricing from 1948-80 will return for the next issue. We're continuing to make adjustments to the offerings in the magazine during this, as said in the issue, experimental period.

Those of you who have seen the issue will hopefully have read the reasoning for the move on Page 2 of the magazine. There also are twice as many color pages, 19 more pages for more stories and more photos. In addition, the change is to help ensure that price guide fonts can be slightly larger and more readable while also maintaining a $9.99 price.

In issue No. 101 -- and all upcoming magazines -- we will be upgrading to better, brighter (white) paper in addition to the changes already made.

All of this is an effort to satisfy different groups of collectors with different wants. Many have told us they want more to read -- i.e. more of a magazine -- meanwhile some things simply do not change in price regularly.

Between magazines, annual books and online offerings, we're trying to cater to everyone while also trying to expand the things that we feel will entice more people to pick up the magazine in different locations.
Truth be told, you could cut a lot out of the price guide by making more "star" categories...commons, minor stars, semistars, stars, super stars and megastars...in the back of the magazine you have a listing for unlisted stars...just make the page bigger with more players on it. As far as more articles in the monthly magazine, I don't need them...we have this website for that.

(05-29-2014, 08:43 PM)chrisolds Wrote: The pricing from 1948-2000 will return for the next issue. We're continuing to make adjustments to the offerings in the magazine during this, as said in the issue, experimental period.

Those of you who have seen the issue will hopefully have read the reasoning for the move on Page 2 of the magazine. There also are twice as many color pages, 19 more pages for more stories and more photos. In addition, the change is to help ensure that price guide fonts can be slightly larger and more readable while also maintaining a $9.99 price.

In issue No. 101 -- and all upcoming magazines -- we will be upgrading to better, brighter (white) paper in addition to the changes already made.

All of this is an effort to satisfy different groups of collectors with different wants. Many have told us they want more to read -- i.e. more of a magazine -- meanwhile some things simply do not change in price regularly.

Between magazines, annual books and online offerings, we're trying to cater to everyone while also trying to expand the things that we feel will entice more people to pick up the magazine in different locations.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

>>>> IF YOU HAVE A SITE ISSUE, please do not DM me.Please email customerservice@beckett.com. (I don't actually handle any of that stuff.)

Beckett does need to move with the times and I doubt we will soon see monthly issues, but more likely it will be just down to the yearly issue and most stuff will be online. It is cheaper and everyone else is doing it and that will be the best way to stay in business.
I am into collecting Charles Barkley, Steve Nash and Jason Kidd. I alos will collect Goldy.
Right now most cards are not in the trade section, but in my org, so look there first to see what I have and then PM me an offer and if accepted I will move it to the trade section, ready to be traded.

They can do away with the pre-2001 in the magazine if there are gonna be more stories & color pages/pictures like I remember from the late 80s-early 90s Beckett. Please don't do away with the pricing of the older cards in the OPG as that will always be needed & appreciated.
PC=Giancarlo Stanton, Kemp, Longoria, Tulowitzki, Griffey Jr, Pujols, Jeter, Randy Johnson, Helton, Biggio, Bagwell, Chipper Jones, Votto..
I trade for similar cards.

I find those things more collectible themselves than useful. The yearly price guides are better, or I can buy a month of OPG and blast through the pricing.

Makes total sense. They can't keep adding pages every month for all the new sets released and keep the price the same. And if they want to raise the price everyone will complain about that too. It's just a function of producing a magazine at a fixed price.

Vintage needs it's own magazine with its own subject matter. Also, why can we not get a subscription to Beckett Graded?

I haven't bought a Beckett magazine in over a decade. The magazine price kept going up for each individual sport and the card list kept getting smaller. I actively collect 3 sports and so I would have to buy single issues or subscribe to MLB, NFL, and the one that includes Racing. Even then, I still wouldn't have values for any of the NBA/NHL/non-sports cards that I have in my collection. In some situations, I want a good printed magazine, but Beckett doesn't fall into that situation. I really don't care about most of the articles now and didn't care about them 10 years ago. I love having the 'Total Access OPG' b/c it gives me every bit of info I need about nearly ANY card I own.
I dropped the SI and ESPN magazines years ago b/c the articles were either too dated by the time they got to my mailbox or too much info about stuff I didn't want to read about, plus the price on them went up too. I have to add that I am NOT a digital-age junkie. I do not even own a cell-phone/smartphone (and never have).

I refused to re-new my subscription to 'Entertainment Weekly' b/c they dropped all of the charts that listed Movie Box-Office stats, TV Ratings, Album Sales, Book Sales, etc. AND raised the yearly price. They added a new page recently called 'Chart Attack' that covers all of that, so I wasn't the only one complaining about it. They are still sending me issues 2 months after my subscription expired.

On the opposite side of this, I still subscribe to Astronomy Magazine. Even though some of their info is old news by the time it is published in the magazine, the monthly info about what to look at in the sky (and when) is what I want to read about. That is my bathroom reading material! Smile

While I don't see a point in listing everything pre-2001. I feel the inclusion of key sets should always be in the mag.? Now what is a key set would be left up to the editor. And I too read most of the beckett of the john! lol