`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The best QB

RE: The best QB
I know that it may be hard to compare today's QBs with those of the past but read up on what Otto Graham did for the position and the Cleveland Browns....look at his winning %....and don't forget there was a "Superbowl" before it was called the Superbowl.
http://s1147.photobucket.com/albums/o558/dmasci/
Always looking for BGS or BVG graded cards for HOFers....especially the skilled positions.

[Image: DmasciBanner.jpg]

I agree with alot of the statements...and also agree that there will be bias...

But the hatred and dumping on brady is unnecessary...regardless of your opinion, 3 Super Bowls in 4 years....cmon...not to mention two other appearances....

Super Bowls arent the only thing that matters...but manning has continuously gone missing in the playoffs...GOAT's shine in playoffs, not disappear

(05-29-2014, 05:07 AM)jacobystealshome Wrote: if we are going by rings, then terry bradshaw? greatest ever
which is ridiculous
if we are going by complied stats, favre and manning and marino have to be considered
but farve? interceptions matter. manning and marino? post season matters
montana and brady are both great qb's, good regular season numbers, good post season record
but both were in some degree system qb's.

and i continue to believe to this day that steve young was a better qb than joe montana.

the guy i always come back to is elway. there really wasnt anything bad you could say about his game.

ill never say there is a clear cut number 1 guy but if i was forced to pick a guy, it would be elway
Just read this and realized I'm NOT the ONLY one who realized Steve Young was miles better than Montana. I'm glad someone else actually watched football in the 80's and 90's. Welcome to the club... of 2.

I will also say to those that mention Super Bowls as "most important"... Trent Dilfer won a super bowl... does that mean he's in this discussion? No. TEAMS win super bowls, not QBs. That was especially true in the 70's, 80's and early 90's.
#1 on the PSA Registry Marino Master set
* Always buying ANY reasonably priced Marino card(s) I don't already have *
-- WANT LIST LINK --

Some of your guys hatred for Brady shines bright. You guys fail to realize they went 16-0 in one season when he actually had a an all-star type WR core. If the greatest raise an under talented player to be better you have to include him. He has records & that TD record Manning got last year was one reason why they stacked it up for him. Manning will always be chasing Brady. Brady has just as good of #'s as Manning and more playoff wins than anyone else & 3 SB rings & 2 losses. Brady is a lot smarter than you all let on about. It's not Bilichik's system anymore,he even says so. He now listens to Brady.
Do you honestly think Manning would have done as well with Brady's WR core last year? Do honestly think Manning would have done better if they swapped teams for the year? I didn't think so.

In the end I grew up on Montana/Elway/Marino era as a kid and I would take Montana all day any day of the week.

but the most dominating QB of his time....Otto

The 'old time' greats certainly must include Otto Graham and Johnny Unitas, they set standards for everyone else.
I did watch Joe Montana win 3 Super Bowls (missed the 1st one) and he carved up his opponents. Steve Young was excellent but not up to Montana's standards.

As great as the stats are, Marino and Manning we're great regular season QB's, they have own awards, but championships count. I will ignore the Terry Bradshaw argument, in the last 30 years I would want Joe Montana and then Tom Brady (a Jets fan saying this) in the playoffs, especially the first 5 years of Brady's career.

It's Montana #1 in the Super Bowl era

In my opinion, too much stock is placed in the playoffs and SB's. To get there, you need a team effort. No one QB will get you there. Can we combine everyone to make one guy? Manning's brain and class, Marino's throwing, Rodger's release, Kaepernicks physical size and speed...put it all together, and you may have the greatest QB of all time lol.
We could toss Bart Starr in here as well...7 championship/SB appearances, the highest playoff passer rating, and had the highest completion percentage out of the qbs of his era. Just to throw another guy in there :p

I think it comes down who was the best in their era IMO. Qb's of earlier eras played under diffrent conditions then todays QB's, Todays equipment is also designed better to keep them safer to an extent.As for best Qb of this era Id have to go with Favre even though Im a Steelers fan.