`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best early-mid 80's packs to buy?

Best early-mid 80's packs to buy?
I'm getting back into collecting and looking to have some fun opening packs with my son, but I want to buy packs of cards that a) I already have/am familiar with, maybe to complete a set and b) might have a chance to pull out a mint rookie of a HOF.

I've been thinking about 81, 82, 83 Topps and 84 Donruss. Seems like they can be picked up at 4-5$ a pack (not looking at anything 1990 or beyond).

Again, mostly the goal is to have fun with my son, but wouldn't mind the off chance of a winner;-)

Other packs/years to consider?
Follow my families attempt to collect a 1952 Topps set!
http://journeyto407.wordpress.com/

RE: Best early-mid 80's packs to buy?
It's a little later than you're thinking but 1987 Topps is a cool set. The cards are super cheap and you won't get rich from what you pull, but that set is loaded with lots of rookie cards of some great players.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

(05-23-2014, 11:41 AM)zeprock Wrote: It's a little later than you're thinking but 1987 Topps is a cool set. The cards are super cheap and you won't get rich from what you pull, but that set is loaded with lots of rookie cards of some great players.
Thanks zeprock! Good suggestion...and I love your sig pic!
Follow my families attempt to collect a 1952 Topps set!
http://journeyto407.wordpress.com/

I have to agree with zeprock. I myself am just getting back into the hobby again, however I was really into collecting in the 80's and early 90's and I have to say the 1987 Topps was and still is my favorite Topps set from that era appearance wise always loved the wood grain look of those cards. The other set I would suggest is the 1986 Donruss, while alot of people may disagree and say the 1984 Donruss were the best looking cards for Donruss I have always liked the simple blue striped borders of the cards. And if your a fan of Fleer for the era I have to go with the 1981 Fleer set very nice card in my opinion and many variations to look for. No matter what you decide just remember to have fun

I recently got back from a cruise and decided to treat myself to some fun/cards to open. I picked up 3 1989 fleer baseball wax boxes to bust (8.00 per box). oh, it was very fun looking for all the error cards with that set and stars, and just taking a walk down memory road was a highlight all alone. it was an era when I just got into collecting and awesome to see all the player cards again. what ever you decide, just have fun with it.

I also pulled a couple of Griffey rc's, Johnson rc's, biggio rc's , and 4 billy ripken black boxes
Looking mostly for HOF players.....game used, rc, #D, autos, and mike Schmidt autos and game used

[Image: image_zpsd3640c04.jpg]

My favorite set EVER is 1987. That gets my vote!

But regarding the sets you listed, I'd go with 83 for sure.

I mean, how many sets can claim THREE HOF rc and a second yr of a legendary star?

Add in all the other quality player rookie cards like Viola, Mcgee, Gaetti, Davis etc and you have a phenomenal product.

my vote is 87. I just re-built that set this year for real cheap. I have a whole box of doubles and triples of all grades from very good to near mint if interested.
Looking to complete the 2013 Archives Mets fan favorite Au's (Just need Ron Darling) and 2014 Topps Gypsy Queen set mini base + SPs. Also working on 2015 Topps Chrome and updates. Please note that if you have less than 15 trades, I ask that you send first.

who are some of the rookies aside from Bonds and Larkin?

I'm going on memory here ... So I might be off a little ... Verify before you buySmile
The early-mid 80's like some have mentioned are fun, cheap sets. The Topps Traded sets were always my favorite, since there were lots of Rookie Cards. 86 traded has Bo Jackson and Barry Bonds RC's.
As far as regular sets, 83 Topps has RCs of Doc Gooden, Wade Boggs and Daryll Strawberry. 84 has Don Mattingly RC. 85 has Clemens RC .... There are a ton of other notables mixed in around that time period.
Have fun!
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(05-23-2014, 11:51 PM)Midwestconnection Wrote: who are some of the rookies aside from Bonds and Larkin?
Notable rookie cards in the 1987 Topps set are Bo Jackson, Barry Bonds, Jim Leyland, John Kruk, Bobby Bonilla, Jamie Moyer, Mike Greenwell, Ruben Sierra, Wally Joyner, Mitch Williams, Will Clark, Rafael Palmeiro, Barry Larkin and Kevin Mitchell. The 1987 Topps Traded set has Greg Maddux, Ellis Burks, David Cone, Terry Steinbach and Matt Williams.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html