`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Anyone else bummed about the state of RBs?

Anyone else bummed about the state of RBs?
With NFL offenses now so pass heavy, the dominant running backs are no longer. I think Adrian Peterson will be the last.

The days of Emmitt, Barry, LT and other running backs filling up the hobby as much as QBs is a thing of the past.

I think it is a sad thing for the hobby.
My Bucket

Wish list
1) Reggie White Auto
2) 2005 Topps Fan Favorite John Elway Auto (Baseball)
4) $$$ to buy 1 & 2

RE: Anyone else bummed about the state of RBs?
I think it's less a case of the NFL turning so pass-heavy as it the franchises regarding running backs as interchangeable pieces of an offense with a very limited shelf life. As hobbyists, that makes us much less willing to invest large amounts of money in cards depicting a player who might get anywhere from one to five years of All Pro-level production before he's put out to pasture (to a point; see Eddie Lacy).

For someone who does still enjoy collecting top running backs, this means that their cards are often much more affordable than they were in decades past. For someone else who looks at collecting as more of an investment, the combination of a more pass-friendly league along with less emphasis on a single, dominant running back means that there are plenty of future Hall of Fame receivers whose cards are still woefully underpriced (Calvin Johnson, anyone?).

Also, folks in Seattle might take exception to AP being the last dominant running back. Wink

don't worry it will cycle again…..

Pass heavy NFL requires more fine tuned pass defenses …. which in turn means eventually the only way to attack the "D"'s is going to be with RB's ….

then the NFL "D"'s will start gearing towards stopping the run and the"O"'s will again turn to the Pass to beat "D"'s geared towards stopping the run…….

PC - Dolphins, Daniel Thomas, Parker, Ajayi, Jordan, Landry & Phins 1/1's

I agree... I miss the running back dominated league. It can be exciting to see the big plays and fast paced games, but I miss watching the dominating talent at running back. Tomlinson was amazing to watch...as has Adrian Peterson and Beastmode. I love the way Lynch runs lol. But it seems running backs wear out more easily these days...Like Harv said, someone like Lacy, probably around 5 years before he has to be replaced. MJD made it 8 I think.
I also agree that AP will probably be the last HOF rb for awhile...Lynch is good, but I'm not sure he is HOF material.

AP as the last dominant running back? Does Marshawn Lynch ring a bell?
[Image: 5SA2MuI.jpg?2]

http://s274.beta.photobucket.com/user/bu...de%20items - click link for photobucket

DO NOT TRADE LIST:

FREDDYLOVESSHAUNA

(05-18-2014, 10:39 AM)gjhobbs Wrote: AP as the last dominant running back? Does Marshawn Lynch ring a bell?
I didn't do a good job in the original post with context.

Lynch has been dominant in the last couple seasons.

AP has had a dominating career.
My Bucket

Wish list
1) Reggie White Auto
2) 2005 Topps Fan Favorite John Elway Auto (Baseball)
4) $$$ to buy 1 & 2

AP has had a very good career. He's rushed for over 10,000 yards in just 7 years and is on track to possibly break some records, but Lynch has also taken more poundings in the hole and is relentless.

AP has a bigger stride where Lynch just drops shoulders into everyone and mows them over.

I've read all over the place that their styles are a lot alike, but I still cannot see it.

Also, Lynch was never the immediate starter when he went to Buffalo in 2007. He shared the rotation with other RB's while AP has been the dominate factor in Min since he was drafted.

Who do I see retiring first is going to be a great question. AP was great after his surgery two years ago, but this past season he didn't fare so well.

Lynch continues to beat the hell out of players, and only seems to get better with age.

I see the RB game going to the way of the scrambling QB (that we see in today's QB), but teams still need a strong RB in the field in order to get those goal line plays and other good runs.

I don't see RB's being phased out or used any less. It really depends upon the playing scheme of the team and their ability to use their weapons to their advantage.

Look at the Broncos: Peyton can't run and they did have a decent running back in Moreno (ranked #12) in 2013 running game, but they were pass game focused.

Look at the Seahawks now: They are a dominant running game with running the ball over 58% of their time having the ball. They could pass when they wanted, but they use the ground n pound to their advantage.

As QB's from this generation get older and younger QB's start to play more it will just be a phase as others have said. The old school technique of how offenses are run will continue to work as it has in the past.

We will see another slew of strong RB's in the coming years.
[Image: 5SA2MuI.jpg?2]

http://s274.beta.photobucket.com/user/bu...de%20items - click link for photobucket

DO NOT TRADE LIST:

FREDDYLOVESSHAUNA

(05-18-2014, 01:28 AM)jeremy7269 Wrote: With NFL offenses now so pass heavy, the dominant running backs are no longer. I think Adrian Peterson will be the last.

The days of Emmitt, Barry, LT and other running backs filling up the hobby as much as QBs is a thing of the past.

I think it is a sad thing for the hobby.
I think that rb's will just start getting more receiving yards. a lot of them now just get the quick emergency toss when no one is open then they still run from behind the line. just a long hand off yards go under rec. yards rather than rush yards.

(05-18-2014, 03:39 PM)jokersrwild Wrote: I think that rb's will just start getting more receiving yards. a lot of them now just get the quick emergency toss when no one is open then they still run from behind the line. just a long hand off yards go under rec. yards rather than rush yards.
Well, that isn't entirely new. Favre was really good throwing the Edgar Bennett and Dorsey Levens out of the backfield. I think that even William Henderson was a decent receiver out of the backfield if I remember correctly.

I do have to agree, I miss seeing a good running back breaking of huge runs. I was at several games in the 90's with the Packers playing the Lions, and got to see Barry go against the SB Packers team of 96 and then 2 more times over the next 4 seasons after that. It was amazing, to be completely honest. It was also really cool to see Reggie White, Favre and Sanders playing in the same game Smile

Though, thinking about it, I actually can see Lacy having a really good career. I think with Rodgers throwing the ball, it will take some wear and tear off of him since they won't always be keying on him like they do AP and the way they did Barry. Might help make his career a little longer.

(05-19-2014, 08:45 AM)bojesphob Wrote: I do have to agree, I miss seeing a good running back breaking of huge runs. I was at several games in the 90's with the Packers playing the Lions, and got to see Barry go against the SB Packers team of 96 and then 2 more times over the next 4 seasons after that. It was amazing, to be completely honest. It was also really cool to see Reggie White, Favre and Sanders playing in the same game Smile
Barry Sanders was insane. He might run 40 yards for a 5 yard gain on one play, but give him one little seam and he was gone. I don't think there will ever be another runner like him for the simple reason that all those moves & re-directions he'd do are coached out of young backs these days. Big Grin