`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you sell or move unwanted cards?

How do you sell or move unwanted cards?
Just curious what the thoughts of the forum are on this topic. I am to the point where I really need to focus on some specific areas of my PC and have lots of stuff I can unload that I've accumulated over the years that's not of interest.

So, as I see it, following are the options. Curious what you all think are pros and cons of each? Also, am I missing any major options?

1) eBay - lots of people have strong opinions both good and bad, but bottom line, biggest audience and easiest entry to the marketplace.

2) Sell on Beckett Marketplace - not sure the type of volume one can accept here?

3) Trade on Beckett - easy way to get like value for like value in my opinion.

4) COMC.com - have been sort of intrigued by what they are doing and have been considering looking into it further.

5) Build my own website - as long as I can embed and eBay store or links to COMC or another option that also drives sales, might work as well.

6) Maybe a combination of a few of the above?

Bottom line is that I know I can probably only expect 25-50% of Beckett valuations, which is fine. Most cards came from packs so there are definitely profits to be made to put back into other areas I want to build up.

What do you all think?
Thanks,
- Steve

RE: How do you sell or move unwanted cards?
(05-06-2014, 08:31 PM)sshissler Wrote: Just curious what the thoughts of the forum are on this topic. I am to the point where I really need to focus on some specific areas of my PC and have lots of stuff I can unload that I've accumulated over the years that's not of interest.

So, as I see it, following are the options. Curious what you all think are pros and cons of each? Also, am I missing any major options?

1) eBay - lots of people have strong opinions both good and bad, but bottom line, biggest audience and easiest entry to the marketplace.

2) Sell on Beckett Marketplace - not sure the type of volume one can accept here?

3) Trade on Beckett - easy way to get like value for like value in my opinion.

4) COMC.com - have been sort of intrigued by what they are doing and have been considering looking into it further.

5) Build my own website - as long as I can embed and eBay store or links to COMC or another option that also drives sales, might work as well.

6) Maybe a combination of a few of the above?

Bottom line is that I know I can probably only expect 25-50% of Beckett valuations, which is fine. Most cards came from packs so there are definitely profits to be made to put back into other areas I want to build up.

What do you all think?
i've had lots of luck on ebay and still doing it now .... I'm in the process of selling Jeter's and other stars to fund my Kris Bryant collection ! Real low numbered and rare items or extremely hot players are cards to put on ebay only in my opinion other cards trade and get better value for ... just my opinion though most importantly have fun
[Image: c420f836-983f-40d0-9430-a8ccfd947155_zpsfddf63fd.jpg]

I usually just give a bunch at a time to my buddy who does ttm autos and he send them out and gives me some that he gets back.
[Image: w6CF1RN.png]
Another great banner by jbel4331!

Also collecting Brewers prospects and Hall of Fame autos

2 things:

you cant sell on the beckett marketplace (long story shirt: you have to maintain an in inventory of 200k cards, or something like that, have a tax id, etc etc etc. it isnt set up for small time dealers)

if you are selling on ebay, depending on what you are selling, 25%-50% is far to high. non auto/gu/extremely low numbered, etc: expect 5-20% of bv

I usually don't buy that much of a same collection to get duplicates. As I primary collect sets, I keep all the cards.
French RedSox Fan & Baseball cards collectors.
Sketch card fan.
Last Packs opened:
2 boxes of mars attacks: the revenge => 1 artist auto, 1 medallion & 2 silvers.

Next Packs:
nothing in sight

People I dealt with: card_fiend2013 ; rack85

ebay would be good for one off's of hot players or low numbered cards etc, or if a product just hit you can do well selling fast. The killer with ebay is all the fee's 10% ebay fee, paypal fees it really add's up

I've been sending in boxes of cards to comc and it does cost .25 per card but if you're sending in the right cards you can flip them and make a small profit to use to buy other cards on comc or take the credit to blowout. It's not perfect because there are maintenance fee's etc but it's probably the best option

One thing not mentioned is that you can not only trade, but you can offer your items up for sale here. Just have to make sure they are marked for sale and have a price listed. You can then sell them for whatever amount you want, it doesn't have to be your listed price. Works exactly like a trade This isn't an auction though, so don't put them in for a penny and then expect folks to bid em up. Also, other traders will expect a discount here verses auction and other sites due to there being no fees paid.

It has worked great for me on both sides as a seller and a buyer.

Myself, I don't like COMC on the selling side....thier fees to me are outlandish.

Good luck!
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

(05-07-2014, 07:34 AM)Phillies_Joe Wrote: One thing not mentioned is that you can not only trade, but you can offer your items up for sale here. Just have to make sure they are marked for sale and have a price listed. You can then sell them for whatever amount you want, it doesn't have to be your listed price. Works exactly like a trade This isn't an auction though, so don't put them in for a penny and then expect folks to bid em up. Also, other traders will expect a discount here verses auction and other sites due to there being no fees paid.

It has worked great for me on both sides as a seller and a buyer.

Myself, I don't like COMC on the selling side....thier fees to me are outlandish.

Good luck!
Good point about selling here, i've done it a few times and been happy you just have to price things reasonable (lower than ebay) and all sides are happy

COMC it depends on how you view it I guess. To me it gets cards out of my hair and it goes into set it and forget it mode. I find the .25 processing fee reasonable to get the card scanned and listed and the .01 monthly fee doesnt start for 3 months and is only on items over .75

but yeah it can add up pretty quick when you send in a large box, i just wanted stuff out of the way

Thank you all, good feedback... I think I'm hearing that all options may have merit depending on the particular card(s) being sold or traded.
Thanks,
- Steve

I think you and the other responders have pretty much covered many of your options. A couple more I'd add: craigslist or classified ad, donating them, or seeing if your LCS would take them on consignment.

The "right" answer depends on 2 things:
1. (as you noted) the specific card(s)
2. Your ultimate goals with the cards.

#1 - pretty much the sum of previous advice - no use listing nickel commons on Ebay, etc. Higher value cards or cards likely to attract interest on their own can be listed for sale on Ebay, Beckett, COMC or whatever venue you want. Other cards will probably do better in lots.

#2 - what I mean by that is that there's generally a spectrum of personal goals/desires that ranges from "I just want them GONE" on one end to "I need to squeeze every last penny I can out of these" on the other. Where you land on that spectrum can help choose the "right" answer too.

If you're closer to the "I just want them gone" - donating them, listing the entire lot on Craigslist etc are probably better options. They require very little work on your part, with the downside of realizing less than pennies on the dollar.

If you're closer to the "I need every penny" end of the spectrum, it will require more time and effort on your part to specifically identify, price, etc. every card and research in order to maximize returns.

[Image: ceocards6copy.png]

Click on banner for photobucket link.