`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possibly altered cards

Possibly altered cards
I have a question to all about their experiences with buying raw cards off Ebay or wherever else. Have you ever bought a raw card with the intention of grading it and when you got the card it appeared as though its been altered? Or maybe you sent it in for grading and received it back saying its been altered from BGS. I purchased a 72 Topps Willy Mays off Ebay because in the scans it looked beautiful and like it would grade high. When I was examining it closely I noticed it was a bit shorter than the other 72's I had and most every other card I have. I only have a couple so im not sure if maybe there were some cutting issues in the set which made some examples that were a bit shorter than usual. Im debating wether or not to send it in because I dont want to look like Im trying to cheat and it would be embarrassing to me to get it returned as "tampered with." Has anyone heard of slightly shorter cards or are all cards pretty much the exact same length in all sets?
Wanted: any 1989 Upper Deck cards graded 9.5 across the board or better.

RE: Possibly altered cards
(04-27-2014, 01:23 AM)cardariffic Wrote: I have a question to all about their experiences with buying raw cards off eBay or wherever else. Have you ever bought a raw card with the intention of grading it and when you got the card it appeared as though its been altered? Or maybe you sent it in for grading and received it back saying its been altered from BGS. I purchased a 72 Topps Willy Mays off eBay because in the scans it looked beautiful and like it would grade high. When I was examining it closely I noticed it was a bit shorter than the other 72's I had and most every other card I have. I only have a couple so I'm not sure if maybe there were some cutting issues in the set which made some examples that were a bit shorter than usual. I'm debating whether or not to send it in because I don't want to look like I'm trying to cheat and it would be embarrassing to me to get it returned as "tampered with." Has anyone heard of slightly shorter cards or are all cards pretty much the exact same length in all sets?
I've never had that experience with raw cards. However, I've had it happen to me with PSA 10's. I subbed PSA 10's to Beckett for cross over and some came back as "Questionable Authenticity Edges".

And the cards in question were not Vintage. There were 1990's cards.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

(04-27-2014, 01:23 AM)cardariffic Wrote: I have a question to all about their experiences with buying raw cards off Ebay or wherever else. Have you ever bought a raw card with the intention of grading it and when you got the card it appeared as though its been altered? Or maybe you sent it in for grading and received it back saying its been altered from BGS. I purchased a 72 Topps Willy Mays off Ebay because in the scans it looked beautiful and like it would grade high. When I was examining it closely I noticed it was a bit shorter than the other 72's I had and most every other card I have. I only have a couple so im not sure if maybe there were some cutting issues in the set which made some examples that were a bit shorter than usual. Im debating wether or not to send it in because I dont want to look like Im trying to cheat and it would be embarrassing to me to get it returned as "tampered with." Has anyone heard of slightly shorter cards or are all cards pretty much the exact same length in all sets?
It's definitely been an issue, though not a large one, of cards being cut short coming out of the factory.

I guess Ill just send it in and see what happens then...lol
Wanted: any 1989 Upper Deck cards graded 9.5 across the board or better.

I have one that recently came back as altered. I bought it off of Ebay as a single a LONG time ago so I have no recourse other than to just take it like a man.
Seeking 2007 National Treasures Drew Brees Laundry Tag cards #'d to 10.
Trade/Buy for: Saints and Frank Thomas

Hobby instagram