`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much damage is to much damage?

How much damage is to much damage?
When it comes to purchasing cards what do you guys see as to much damage? Sometimes I will receive a card that has some white chipping on the edge or a white corner. Do you see this as something that should be listed on the listing? Or would you just keep it if it is a PC card? I just wanted to see if you guys are as picky as I am or do you overlook minor flaws like that?

Thanks in advance for any responses!

RE: How much damage is to much damage?
Depends upon the project. My vintage sets, I will accept slightly rounded corners, but avoid creases. Modern cards, I will only overlook centering.
To facilitate trading, please mark your wants in the "wants" column and "trade for" column in your Org.
[Image: Henderson-Discussion-Signature.jpg]

(04-17-2014, 11:27 AM)paulkellyjr Wrote: Depends upon the project. My vintage sets, I will accept slightly rounded corners, but avoid creases. Modern cards, I will only overlook centering.
Ok! Thanks for the reply! But when it comes to the modern cards, what about a card that is hard to find? The particular card I have is a G/U card #/100. I just would hate to return it and not be able to find another. Would you make an exception in that case?

Maybe work something out with the seller where they refund some of the money and you keep the card ? Was this damage that was disclosed in the description
(sig courtesy of jbel4331)
[Image: sdh5p0.png]
Sets
2013 Bowman Inception Base Auto - 56/62 -90.3%
2011 Topps Cognac Diamond Anniversary(Series 1 & 2) - 383/709 -54%
2011 Topps Diamond Anniversary (Series 1 & 2) - 371/709 -52.3%
2014 Topps 1989 Die Cuts - 119/150 - 79.3%

Asking for partial refunds is a slippery slope, do it 1 too many times and you can be branded as someone to avoid. If it's something you are unlikely to find again, keep it, and make note of the seller. If it's not rare, just return it and get a refund.
[Image: NYNMRXJ.png]

(04-17-2014, 12:27 PM)Gtbrian23 Wrote: Maybe work something out with the seller where they refund some of the money and you keep the card ? Was this damage that was disclosed in the description
I might try that, good thinking! And no it was not but I guess I should have looked closer at the picture, partially my own fault. Also I see that you are collecting the diamond anniversary sets, I have a bunch that I can get added and will send you a trade offer later and you can see if there is anything that you need.

Thanks for the reply
(04-17-2014, 12:44 PM)petesahuttt Wrote: Asking for partial refunds is a slippery slope, do it 1 too many times and you can be branded as someone to avoid. If it's something you are unlikely to find again, keep it, and make note of the seller. If it's not rare, just return it and get a refund.

I guess that makes sense, and I don't want to hurt my chance of getting cards in the future.

Thanks for the response!

I think you would be ok the one time, but make sure you don't do it all the time. From now on if it's more rare cards shoot the seller a message asking for more pics and ask about the edges and stuff.

Also sounds good on the diamonds! Thanks Smile
(sig courtesy of jbel4331)
[Image: sdh5p0.png]
Sets
2013 Bowman Inception Base Auto - 56/62 -90.3%
2011 Topps Cognac Diamond Anniversary(Series 1 & 2) - 383/709 -54%
2011 Topps Diamond Anniversary (Series 1 & 2) - 371/709 -52.3%
2014 Topps 1989 Die Cuts - 119/150 - 79.3%

If the seller doesn't state condition in the description then I rely on the picture, and even when they state the condition I still rely on the picture if they say MINT. I also tend to ask more questions about condition before bidding rather than after winning and receiving the card. Keep in mind that all sellers and buyers will have a different idea as to condition, and that some flaws aren't as noticeable as others. I usually let most small damage slide unless it is an extremely expensive card, and then I usually send a message describing the damage (not asking for a full or partial refund) and let the seller determine how they want to handle the issue (most are usually good about offering a full or partial refund, but every so often I get one that respond as a ***** and so I treat them as such and open an eBay case to return the card).
What surprises me is how many cards I have found where there is obvious damage in the picture and the description still says MINT, and then when I ask the seller they admit that the card has damage but they don't bother to change the description. Most recently there was a 1/1 card I wanted that I knew when it sold previously that the seller had mentioned there was damage to a corner, yet the new seller never mentioned the damage (and in fact stated the card as MINT in their description). I asked the new seller about any damage, as it could be seen if you closely looked at the picture, and they admitted there was damage but didn't change the description. It didn't surprise me when the card sold and the buyer backed out, and then after relisting it the seller didn't change the description and the same thing happened again. Essentially the seller was just waiting for someone who didn't notice the damage or care enough to ask for a refund or return. So some sellers really are pretty scummy about trying to hide damage.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

I would just commit to the purchase. Eventually find another, and when you do, upgrade and sell/trade the lesser condition card. Some products out there are notorious for chips.... You might not find one any better than the one you have. Thick cards, like 5 Star are known to have chipping ... And some on-card autos, well lets just say, some have been man-handled prior to packaging Smile
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

I agree with most of what is said here, not all, but most. If the card is older or vintage, I can understand a tad bit of wear. If it is listed as mint though, that's another story as I'll expect the card to be flawless.
[Image: Signature_zpsnepr034k.jpg]