`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Favorite hobby story where you put someone else's interest first

OT: Favorite hobby story where you put someone else's interest first
My favorite is this one....I go to Twinsfest every year in Mpls. 2 years ago it was held for the last time at the Metrodome. Walking around the card show, Jim Perry, Ferguson Jenkins and Rollie Fingers were signing autographs. Problem was, it was a Sunday (last day) and they weren't having many people stop by. A good friend of mine is a HUGE Cubs fan.....so I had an idea. I wondered if Fergie Jenkins would be wiling to chat with him on the phone since there was no one really around. I was hesitant at first, but nutted up and asked him. He replied with a resounding "You bet!". So I dialed the number and when my buddy answered, I told him that someone wanted to say hi to him. Fergie starts talking to him and tries to get him to guess who he is! Finally got him to get it right and they chatted for a good 2-3 minutes. I'll never forget how courteous Fergie was...he didn't have to do what he did. My buddy will never forget talking to Fergie on the phone. One of my favorite hobby moments, since it actually took place at a card show. http://www.beckett.com/forums/images/smi...iggrin.gif

What's yours? Does it include giving someone something for their PC, etc.? I'd love to hear it!

RE: OT: Favorite hobby story where you put someone else's interest first
My hobby story is I went to the Yankees fantasy camp a few years ago. It was awesome! They treat you like a player including giving you a uniform!...We didn't interact with the players at the time because they were in spring training but once in awhile a few players will stop down and watch the games. We were playing the Rays fantasy camp after the Yankees had played...They were cleaning out the dugout and Nick Swisher was gathering his stuff. I went in and started talking to him. He was very cordial and was very funny. I asked him if I could have something to take home with me and he said sure and threw me a Yankees batting helmet (which I still own to this day) The guys said i should of had it signed but i like to keep it original. The highlight of the camp was having a catch with Whitey Ford...I still reflect on that and still cant believe i done it...If anyone can afford fantasy camp i suggest you do it...I met so many Yasnkees and Yankee greats.
[Image: rm1_zpsecc24267.jpg]

(03-22-2014, 12:57 PM)madamson Wrote: My favorite is this one....I go to Twinsfest every year in Mpls. 2 years ago it was held for the last time at the Metrodome. Walking around the card show, Jim Perry, Ferguson Jenkins and Rollie Fingers were signing autographs. Problem was, it was a Sunday (last day) and they weren't having many people stop by. A good friend of mine is a HUGE Cubs fan.....so I had an idea. I wondered if Fergie Jenkins would be wiling to chat with him on the phone since there was no one really around. I was hesitant at first, but nutted up and asked him. He replied with a resounding "You bet!". So I dialed the number and when my buddy answered, I told him that someone wanted to say hi to him. Fergie starts talking to him and tries to get him to guess who he is! Finally got him to get it right and they chatted for a good 2-3 minutes. I'll never forget how courteous Fergie was...he didn't have to do what he did. My buddy will never forget talking to Fergie on the phone. One of my favorite hobby moments, since it actually took place at a card show. http://www.beckett.com/forums/images/smi...iggrin.gif

What's yours? Does it include giving someone something for their PC, etc.? I'd love to hear it!
Awesome story!

My selfless act ... Played a softball tournament for a Dan Marino fundraiser ( got to play against Mickey Rivers and his team ... That was cool .. But not part of the story) but my Employee/friend was a huge Marino fan. I heard many negatives about Marino and asking for sigs, but I bought a photo from a card shop prior, brought it up to him and he signed it, personalized it and was very pleasant. I figured it was his sponsored charity, and he'd look like a dick if he didn't sign, so I took the chance. Smile
My friend was the happiest guy in the world!
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(03-22-2014, 12:57 PM)madamson Wrote: My favorite is this one....I go to Twinsfest every year in Mpls. 2 years ago it was held for the last time at the Metrodome. Walking around the card show, Jim Perry, Ferguson Jenkins and Rollie Fingers were signing autographs. Problem was, it was a Sunday (last day) and they weren't having many people stop by. A good friend of mine is a HUGE Cubs fan.....so I had an idea. I wondered if Fergie Jenkins would be wiling to chat with him on the phone since there was no one really around. I was hesitant at first, but nutted up and asked him. He replied with a resounding "You bet!". So I dialed the number and when my buddy answered, I told him that someone wanted to say hi to him. Fergie starts talking to him and tries to get him to guess who he is! Finally got him to get it right and they chatted for a good 2-3 minutes. I'll never forget how courteous Fergie was...he didn't have to do what he did. My buddy will never forget talking to Fergie on the phone. One of my favorite hobby moments, since it actually took place at a card show. http://www.beckett.com/forums/images/smi...iggrin.gif

Awesome story! Fergie is indeed the nicest guy in the world. He hangs around Wrigley a lot signing for his foundation and Ron Santo's. Maybe it's the Canadian in him that makes him so nice lol.

2009 New York Yankees Autos Project: 29/52 (56% complete)

[Image: EAiRylN.png]

Sig courtesy jbel4331