`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Card Conundrum: item not quite as described, but super rare

Card Conundrum: item not quite as described, but super rare
I purchased an Edge Signature Proofs Silver AU /10 this weekend and was stoked to see it'd arrived today! However, as I removed it from the package I couldn't help but be a bit disappointed. Check out the pics, scanner doesn't pick it up, the auto looks worse in person.

[Image: IMAG1095_zps90fc6652.jpg]
[Image: IMAG1092_zpse09ea678.jpg][Image: IMAG1093_zps8fe86a7a.jpg]

Well, I contacted the seller, here's our exchange:

"Hi [seller],

I received this card today, thank for shipping so quickly! I have a question though, why weren't the two bubbles in the sticker mentioned in the listing? I can kind of see them in the scan/pic in the listing now that I'm aware of them, but initially I thought that was just a glare from the sticker.

Thanks,"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear [buyer],

"to be honest i move so many cards i didnt even notice myself im posting new ones all the time keeps me busy but i do stand by my return policy if your not happy with it. i do try to ship them out as soon as the orders come in so that all my customers get what they order as quickly as possible."

Now, when someone starts a sentence with "to be honest" I automatically start to question their honesty. I want to give the guy the benefit of the doubt, but it's almost impossible not to notice the bubbles the second you pick the card up. Busy or not, that's something worth mentioning in the listing.

My question: should I send it back for a refund? Doesn't seem like a partial refund is an option, but maybe ask?

This card is pretty rare, and I got a decent price (though above my original offer)... I don't know when I'd find another, and while I'm happy to have it in my collection for rarities' sake the bubbles make the auto unattractive.

RE: Card Conundrum: item not quite as described, but super rare
Depends on what you paid and if you think the card will pop up again. It's a cool card and if it hardly appears and price was reasonable I'd keep it and try to upgrade and potentially move the one you don't prefer later on. Btw sent you an open offer
My Flickr

I'm not fond of wasting my time with folks who can't bother replying to trades or pms. If I don't reply, you're probably on the ignore list.

(03-17-2014, 05:46 PM)ft28jags Wrote: Depends on what you paid and if you think the card will pop up again. It's a cool card and if it hardly appears and price was reasonable I'd keep it and try to upgrade and potentially move the one you don't prefer later on. Btw sent you an open offer
+1 except the offer.
Autos: 230/270=85.2% complete! Only 8 non 1/1's left!
Total: 614/643=95.5% only 29 non 1/1's to go 1/1's: 60/160=37.5%
[Image: tdwright13bennettbanner.jpg]

I would kindly ask for a partial refund. Maybe half of what you paid?
Unique Cards:
Dolphins - 6000+
Marino - 2140
Zach Thomas - 869
Jason Taylor - 749
Lamar Miller - 341

Maybe ask the seller what they think would be fair. At least that way you can keep it, send it back for a refund or maybe get a partial. They might ask you the same back. Since they got back to you quickly they may be open to working something out that works for both of you?
ID VIKESRULE on most other trade sites. Don't care about BV if the deal is right.
Cris Carter super collector and die hard Vikings guy!

I had the problem with Lynch Plate...listed as brand new. I got it and it was beat to heck. Asked the seller what was with the listing, and he replied "Sorry, I post a lot of stuff and sometimes one gets by me". No offer for return, refund, whatever, just a my bad. There was no way in any stretch of the imagination you miss the scratches and dings on the card in person lol. But like the others said, if this is a chase card, and 1st you've seen, I'd keep it, and maybe upgrade it later if the opportunity comes up.

Paid $30, so I can see why he was quick to agree to my offer, which I can't be mad at- originally sent an offer of $25. Messaged him about a partial, thanks gents. Once upon a time I would have been bent out of shape about it, so used the board as a buffer this time.

If it was me, I would just keep it if I needed it. A lot of collectors forget that very very few cards are in great condition. And its not like its the sellers fault for bubbles in the sticker, its not damage that they did to it. Thats just one of the reasons to hate sticker autos even more. A lot of sticker autos even have all that sticky crap stuck to the front of them that gets annoying. He could have very well thought it was a glare or something as well. People wont pay extra attention to a card if its not special to them like it is to you. Hope you figure something out that works for you! And the printing plate someone mentioned above being beat up is probably normal. Its a printing plate, it was used to make the actual cards. They endure dings and scuffs and whatnot. Its part of what makes them cool.
[Image: nthnoak.jpg]

Looking for 49er Autos and Kobe Bryant.

http://s829.photobucket.com/albums/zz216...r%20Trade/

(03-17-2014, 11:13 PM)nthnoak Wrote: If it was me, I would just keep it if I needed it. A lot of collectors forget that very very few cards are in great condition. And its not like its the sellers fault for bubbles in the sticker, its not damage that they did to it. Thats just one of the reasons to hate sticker autos even more. A lot of sticker autos even have all that sticky crap stuck to the front of them that gets annoying. He could have very well thought it was a glare or something as well. People wont pay extra attention to a card if its not special to them like it is to you. Hope you figure something out that works for you! And the printing plate someone mentioned above being beat up is probably normal. Its a printing plate, it was used to make the actual cards. They endure dings and scuffs and whatnot. Its part of what makes them cool.
I'm not blaming the seller for the flaw, but the negligence. In person, regardless of whether you're a fan of Edge or not, you can't miss the bubbles- clearly not a glare. Had I pulled this from a pack, even if it were some "no name" rookie, I'd still contact the manufacturer for a replacement. I didn't expect a 10-Pristine card/au, but there was literally no mention of the bubbles which would have given me a fair reason to stick to my original offer (or maybe even offer slightly less initially)... instead, because I wasn't aware of the flaw, I agreed to more.

This is what I've done a couple of times — asked myself what is the most I would pay for the card as is.

Then, go back to the seller and pitch it like this:

"Dear (seller), I'd rather not deal with the hassle of returning the card, and I'm guessing you'd rather not deal with re-listing the card and waiting to get paid again once you get it back.

I would like to keep it, but in its condition I wouldn't pay more than $20 for it.

Would you be willing to post a partial refund of $10? If not, no worries, I'm happy to return it for a full refund."

I can almost guarantee he'll choose the hassle free option.

Then you still get a card that you really wanted for a price you're more comfortable with.

I just did this a couple of weeks ago with a Museum Collection Reggie Bush auto ... I had waited since LAST March when he signed with Detroit for a Lions auto card ... paid $35 BIN for it ... got it in the mail lightning fast, BUT with a very noticeable ding in the upper right corner (which was not obvious in the photo due to glare) ... messaged the guy and said I loved the card, but not at $35 ... more like $25, and he refunded me no problem.

Give it a shot, let us know how it turns out!