`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Does Anyone Grade Anything Other than Chrome or Contenders?

RE: Does Anyone Grade Anything Other than Chrome or Contenders?
(03-06-2014, 07:17 PM)child_please Wrote: Just in my opinion, there are certain products that get graded for two reasons:
1. Value - Like you said, contenders and chrome get graded every year. Those two products are top selling boxes year in and year out. Before 2009, there weren't as many parallels as there are today. Since Bowman Chrome is basically long and gone, Topps Chrome gives you the chance to pull red, gold, blue wave, prism, black, pink and basic refractors. Contenders puts cards of players who have SP's that are less than my current age (24)
2. Condition - Topps and Panini usually put out boxes that don't butcher your cards while still in the packs, unlike some other company.....cough cough UD.....
I've bought a ton of 2013 Topps Museum cards and when I send them off to grading, I feel like I wont get less than a BGS 9. Topps and Panini make a good card. It is sturdy, more times than not, doesn't come out of the box with chipping on the corners and battered edges. And when buyers/collectors see that, they feel more confident sending in those cards to be graded.

Every year, Treasures and Exquisite come out being the highest paying boxes. I feel like since Panini sees how much we pay for Treasures, the company needs to make high end cards to keep their value not coming out damaged. They make a great product with it every year and they haven't disappointed me yet.

I have bought one box of Exquisite in my life and I regret it. The only card that didn't come out damaged was a base card.

Like I said, just my opinion

Just my opinion but Topps has some of the worst products to grade when you consider how badly Supreme and Five Star grade due to centering, chipping, and mostly with Five Star foil peel and dinged foil edges and corners
[Image: 4E727BD9-orig.jpg]

Tyson Jackson
Total Cards - 469/638 - 74 %
Autos - 164/249 - 66 %
Mems - 221/280 - 79 %
RC - 38/38 - 100 %
1/1s - 21
Total Tyson Jackson Cards Including Dupes 641

(03-06-2014, 07:16 PM)biglump007 Wrote: I Grade a lot of my National Treasures stuff. The main reason I do is just because I like the protection for 1 but I also enjoy the thrill and excitement of seeing what I get. I will say though as most people who've done a good bit of grading can most of the time I have a good idea what a card will grade when I send it. I have I believe 30 or so out to BGS right now that I sent in Wendy's latest submission, most of which are also National Treasures. Here's a link to some of my graded stuff if anyone cares to look.

http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/biglum...wap&page=1
Lump, you can never go wrong with Hall of Famers. Love the timeline series! I do think high end products like NT and older Exquisite really should be graded for protection. The same goes for the SPA RAP's if nothing else bug yo cut back on faked patches.

When I come across an old card from one of the HOF Bears I look for (e.g., Luckman, Nagurski, Sayers, etc), I may get it graded just to keep it's condition. If it's something new, I will still collect it, but I won't bother getting it graded most of the time.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

I've noticed the same thing you mentioned about flipping grades on eBay. Anything with a thick glossy top-coat shows up in droves with very little else.

As for myself, I submit only cards that seem to be in a condition outside of the usual for that specific year and brand. If I pull an auto from prizm, it's likely that everyone else's card will look like mine whether or not it was graded. Really nothing special. If I pull something out of 2012 inception or 2013 black that has zero chipping, I'd likely send that in. Not many of those cards make it through unblemished. A 10 grade out of them would stand out.

Just my opinion. I usually don't grade very much. My personal collection will never leave mine and my Wife's hands so we just "one-touch" and seal with a slab bag. If something isn't going in my personal collection I usually don't have it long enough to make slabbing worth it.

I see where people enjoy chasing 10 grades for their favorite players or sets, that's just not my thing. I spend that cash on more cards lol! What do they say? "Starve a responsibility, Feed an addiction?" Or was that about the flu..............

hi Mel..
I am grading my complete Fotg NFL Prime set..fat cards so i a happy with 8s or better..i have been happy to say the least to get only 2 8s...2 10s and a heard of 9.5s so far...about 1/2 done..
well here you can see...i had a custom labels put on them....they look SO sharp IMO
Smile
http://s877.photobucket.com/user/sto66/l...al%20label
2007 FotG NFL Prime 130/133
2009 FotG NFL Prime 66/90
2010 FotG NFL Prime 103/103
DONE
http://s877.photobucket.com/user/sto66/l...ECUT%20SET
2011 Playbook Prime 68/95

(03-06-2014, 09:17 PM)chibearsboy Wrote: hi Mel..
I am grading my complete Fotg NFL Prime set..fat cards so i a happy with 8s or better..i have been happy to say the least to get only 2 8s...2 10s and a heard of 9.5s so far...about 1/2 done..
well here you can see...i had a custom labels put on them....they look SO sharp IMO
Smile
http://s877.photobucket.com/user/sto66/l...al%20label
That is one of the coolest collections I've seen! you are the only person who has that set and can have that set. Impressive grades to boot! I have had only one 9.5 in my graded set so far.

Those personalized stickers are the best touch of all. I would love to have a set that somewhere down the line someone could say, "That came from that Mel Clark Collection!" That's big time, my friend! Well done.

I think the only issue I have with grading is the simple fact that I can't afford to grade them all. Believe me of I could afford it I'd grade everything.
[Image: 4E727BD9-orig.jpg]

Tyson Jackson
Total Cards - 469/638 - 74 %
Autos - 164/249 - 66 %
Mems - 221/280 - 79 %
RC - 38/38 - 100 %
1/1s - 21
Total Tyson Jackson Cards Including Dupes 641

RE: Does Anyone Grade Anything Other the Chrome or Contenders?
(03-06-2014, 04:14 PM)branesergen Wrote: I grade almost any and everything. I grade for protection and to also see if there are any flaws I missed. I love graded cards. What I don't get graded I tend to want to sell or trade. I see the influx of people you speak of. The flippers who grade the most sought after product for returns (Chrome & Contenders, also NT) so if it isn't a 9.5 they wont make a profit. All I see are people who don't know how to sell graded cards. I have cards that are graded 7's that I don't consider "junk". I grade what I like or what I think will look good in a slab. Everything else I chalk up to "This hobby has always been about money and what its worth and that's just all it is"

If you wanna take a look at what I've been grading - Here you go Smile This was my last submission.

http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1554224.html
your views are very similar to me. I like the protection of the slabs and nice grades are a benefit.

I find myself scouring ebay just looking for things to grade lol
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC

(03-06-2014, 10:35 PM)melcmd Wrote: That is one of the coolest collections I've seen! you are the only person who has that set and can have that set. Impressive grades to boot! I have had only one 9.5 in my graded set so far.

Those personalized stickers are the best touch of all. I would love to have a set that somewhere down the line someone could say, "That came from that Mel Clark Collection!" That's big time, my friend! Well done.
thanks so much Mel!
i have been extremely lucky grade wise,..Wendy helped out tremendously with the set,the grading and the lettering on the labels..50 spaces is what we get i think...
but the labels really make it feel like my set..feels like the work in this was worth it..I love them..
that Frosh Fabric 1/1 set you have would look Soooo freekin good in these with a Mel Clark Set on them up top.......
yea.
(03-06-2014, 11:33 PM)biglump007 Wrote: I think the only issue I have with grading is the simple fact that I can't afford to grade them all. Believe me of I could afford it I'd grade everything.
lol....no kidding bro. the 25-30 thing is rough on me but well worth it..i am just too impatient to do only 10 at a time...
i would grade every card i own if i could also...if i won the lottery....in a blink of an eye...
Smile
2007 FotG NFL Prime 130/133
2009 FotG NFL Prime 66/90
2010 FotG NFL Prime 103/103
DONE
http://s877.photobucket.com/user/sto66/l...ECUT%20SET
2011 Playbook Prime 68/95