`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Help me start again...

Help me start again...
Hey everybody, so I've recently been bitten by the card collecting bug. Like most of you, I grew up with the things and have lots of cards in various shoe boxes around my house. I'm thinking about returning to some of my favorite older sets and completing them before getting into the newer sets.

My question is, what are some of the more fun/interesting sets to collect from the 1990-2000ish range? I like dumb stuff like stickems or draw your own subsets along with the normal sets as well. Thanks!

RE: Help me start again...
Upper Deck MVP had a draw it your own set in '98 or '99...maybe both, I can't remember.

I know that UD Collector's Choice had those around 98, savagenate, don't remember if MVP did or not.

Also, erik, if you like the stickers and such Upper Deck Collector's Choice from around 95-98 like:
 photo scBinder279_zps93cf7a54.jpg
and
 photo scBinder330_zpsef71de53.jpg
or
 photo scan0876_zpsadf4aeae.jpg

And, the nice thing about those sticker sets is that the product it came from was VERY common and you should be able to find them very easily.

(03-05-2014, 10:45 AM)bojesphob Wrote: And, the nice thing about those sticker sets is that the product it came from was VERY common and you should be able to find them very easily.
Yeah and that's exactly why I want to collect some of those older sets because at the time the market was so saturated with nonsense that a lot of them don't hold their value. I'm looking for interesting but cheap sets to start back out on.

(03-05-2014, 10:52 AM)erikburg Wrote: Yeah and that's exactly why I want to collect some of those older sets because at the time the market was so saturated with nonsense that a lot of them don't hold their value. I'm looking for interesting but cheap sets to start back out on.
Cool, I'll go through and look through my Favres and will let you know which ones I personally like and you can see if you like them Smile I have a bunch of stuff that I want to get or have that were cool sets, even if they don't hold a lot of value.
Ok, one of the ones I had the most fun trying to get that was lower end was 1995 Collector's Choice. It had several variations, and none of them are really super valuable, but cool designs and interesting inserts.
 photo scBinder325_zps4b699976.jpg

photo scBinder326_zps4f0f3c04.jpg

photo scBinder327_zps2f835f94.jpg

photo scBinder328_zps9865558b.jpg

photo scBinder329_zps1608038c.jpg

photo scBinder330_zpsef71de53.jpg

Fleer Metal (1996-2000, I think) has some valuable inserts, but the base sets should be relatively easy to get. I love the 1996 Metal version:
 photo scBinder290_zpsfb1d5a5e.jpg

Skybox from 1993-1998 were fun to collect, like this one:
 photo scBinder282_zpsc94bdfda.jpg

Topps Laser
 photo scBinder249_zps826bde1a.jpg

and Gilt Edge were pretty cool
 photo scBinder248_zpscc5eb10d.jpg

I know I don't have all of the cards that say Uwash or FavreCollector4 do, and if you look at FavreCollector4's collection post, you can see more, but if you go back towards the end of my Favre slideshow (below), you can see some of the older sets. Most of them from that section are extremely easy to get.

Ive always enjoyed the older sets as well and decided to complete the 1996 Collector's Choice MVP Silver set and perhaps one day will complete the gold version of the set as well.

They look like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dan-Marino-Miami...7675.l2557
Unique Cards:
Dolphins - 6000+
Marino - 2140
Zach Thomas - 869
Jason Taylor - 749
Lamar Miller - 341

(03-05-2014, 02:41 PM)bakerman8419 Wrote: Ive always enjoyed the older sets as well and decided to complete the 1996 Collector's Choice MVP Silver set and perhaps one day will complete the gold version of the set as well.

They look like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dan-Marino-Miami...7675.l2557
Sad/funny thing - I threw out THOUSANDS of cards like these in 09 when I moved from Austin to Houston lol
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC

(03-05-2014, 02:52 PM)branesergen Wrote: Sad/funny thing - I threw out THOUSANDS of cards like these in 09 when I moved from Austin to Houston lol
Thats brutal lol. I wonder how many golds you had...
Unique Cards:
Dolphins - 6000+
Marino - 2140
Zach Thomas - 869
Jason Taylor - 749
Lamar Miller - 341

About 15 IIRC. I had 2 - 5000 count boxes full of inserts and stars and 5 - 2500 count boxes full of rookies. I threw them all in the trash after much debate. (Moving the boxes and sorting each time I wanted to find something) In the end chunking them was easiest lol
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC