`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Ok...I'm at a loss

RE: Ok...I'm at a loss
I think its pretty much branding. Contenders was the first auto RC. Its set was one of the most popular releases every year since 1994. With a history of over 20 years of being a high end option for collectors, other cards may have more gadgets and whistles, but they do not have the fan base of Contenders. If 1000 people are willing to pay $500 for a card /1000, and only 20 people willing to pay $300 for a card /20, the card /1000 is more popular and more valuable.
I also notice collectors are looping a lot of these other brands into one category. So say Luck has 40 sets with GU'd patch autos with a production of 50 each, they think he has 2000 patch autos. He only has ONE Contenders card, its not viewed as an auto RC. Its a CONTENDERS.
Trying to finish these sets:
1999 Upper Deck Strike Force Quantum /100
2000 Score Complete Players Green/ Blue
2000 Leaf Piece of the Game Preview 4th Down Isaac Bruce
2008 Premier NFL Equipment /25 John Elway

Let me know if you have any available.

Thank you
(03-03-2014, 11:30 AM)Midwestconnection Wrote: he said gem mint like BGS 9.5

I only collect what I can afford to collect when it comes to cards. If I can steal one for a great price, I will. I got this beauty on Ebay, may not be a Contender Card, but it fit my Budget just fine. Not a bad card $4.26 with Free Shipping. I would just settle for a Base RC from Contenders
Due to the prices.
[Image: _3_zpsd014b398.jpg]
(03-03-2014, 12:17 PM)Marinocollector Wrote: I think its pretty much branding. Contenders was the first auto RC. Its set was one of the most popular releases every year since 1994. With a history of over 20 years of being a high end option for collectors, other cards may have more gadgets and whistles, but they do not have the fan base of Contenders. If 1000 people are willing to pay $500 for a card /1000, and only 20 people willing to pay $300 for a card /20, the card /1000 is more popular and more valuable.
I also notice collectors are looping a lot of these other brands into one category. So say Luck has 40 sets with GU'd patch autos with a production of 50 each, they think he has 2000 patch autos. He only has ONE Contenders card, its not viewed as an auto RC. Its a CONTENDERS.
Quinton Patton's GU and Autos

(03-03-2014, 12:17 PM)Marinocollector Wrote: I think its pretty much branding. Contenders was the first auto RC. Its set was one of the most popular releases every year since 1994. With a history of over 20 years of being a high end option for collectors, other cards may have more gadgets and whistles, but they do not have the fan base of Contenders. If 1000 people are willing to pay $500 for a card /1000, and only 20 people willing to pay $300 for a card /20, the card /1000 is more popular and more valuable.
I don't think anyone is questioning the Contenders brand. I'm suggesting that part of it is the perception that this is a brand that is more valuable or will retain value. With rare exception, it will not and just doesn't. It's not rare even within the brand any more because of all the variations.

I mentioned the Jed Collins from 2008. You can throw in the Kenny Irons from 2007 as well. When found, you can purchase them for about 1/5th of what you would have paid at the time of release because of the scarcity of the card.

If I've learned nothing else in the last 8 yrs of collecting it's that collectors move on to the next hot thing.

It's perceived value that just isn't reality within a year. Contenders is no different than anything else. And you can almost always find them a year or 2 later. That's not the same for low numbered and more rare cards. Believe me, I know!

You are so right, I laugh, feel bad for those that throw serious dollars at cards, then get smacked when they paid a lot of money for a card and the card is worth $20. It is sad, but it happens. I find someone to collect and get it for as low as I can. If I can move the card for more than what I paid for it , so I can continue to improve my collection. I think the most I have ever paid fora card was $50. I would be very nervous paying more than that.
(03-03-2014, 01:03 PM)melcmd Wrote: I don't think anyone is questioning the Contenders brand. I'm suggesting that part of it is the perception that this is a brand that is more valuable or will retain value. With rare exception, it will not and just doesn't. It's not rare even within the brand any more because of all the variations.

I mentioned the Jed Collins from 2008. You can throw in the Kenny Irons from 2007 as well. When found, you can purchase them for about 1/5th of what you would have paid at the time of release because of the scarcity of the card.

If I've learned nothing else in the last 8 yrs of collecting it's that collectors move on to the next hot thing.

It's perceived value that just isn't reality within a year. Contenders is no different than anything else. And you can almost always find them a year or 2 later. That's not the same for low numbered and more rare cards. Believe, I know!

500 base autos
+ 200 variation autos (more if the variation isn't SP and less if it's SSP'd)
+ 99 playoff ticket autos
+ 21 cracked ice autos
+ printing plates for the base, variation, and playoff ticket versions (4 each = 16 more autos)
-------------------------------
totals out to 836

836 autographs. It's a good damn thing they AREN'T numbered or people would realize they're just about as common as the memorabilia cards out of Bowman Sterling. You'd think it's an autograpgh set created by ProSet as fast as they're shooting them out

I just do the math and I know what will hold its value. Let's say I'm looking to invest in Bryce Brown. His Rookies & Stars auto I can get on the cheap, is numbered to 99, and has zero variations. There are 99 and that's that.

Out of the gate Contenders does well, then the market becomes saturated, followed by underdog cards passing them in value. Happens pretty much every year and people keep coming back. There is no "Icon" there. People are buying it because someone else said "you should like Contenders" .

I'm not saying they're bad cards. They're exactly the same from card to card and from year to year. I'm just saying there's not meat on the bone and people are buying "sony" because the T.V says "Sony" and they were always told "sony" is better.
not trying to be a hater here. Just saying that any other form of investment grading would mark this as a trash investment. That and investing while the investment is riding its peak is a bit self defeating.

all I'm saying

I prefer the #ed stuff, because they are limited. I wouldn't want a card that 500,000 people have, because there would be no value. Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of cards that is not #ed. But when I can get a #ed card for cheap, I will get it everytime.

LOL. Pro Set? Millions and millions of cards vs. an /800? Also, you guys feel free to collect the more limited cards all you want, it will not change the perceived value and demand of Contenders vs. everything else. It is your collection and I am not downgrading what you collect, but to disregard a fact of the hobby is ludicrous.

The majority of collectors want consistency and uniformity and value, Playoff Contenders has shown that for the past 16 years. Team collectors, set collectors, investors, player collectors all go for Contenders. Its the ONLY NFL football product that has lasted every year the past 21 years outside of Topps and Score. Sure you can use the SP nobody cards and shake a stick at them, but those are cards of scrubs. Why not showcase the 04 Fitzgerald? Why not show the Drew Brees or the Tom Brady? How about Aaron Rodgers? The peak values of Tony Romo? Its an /999 card that still sells well above its debut price? You guys forget, set collectors finish their sets, and stop. Why not talk about the /23 Tyron Smith that seems to still sell over $600, for an offensive lineman because Cowboy fans want to complete their Contenders run? Kenny Irons was stamped "no autograph" Aaron Kelly still sells over $200+ and Jed Collins dropped big time from the get go. These cards did start amazingly high, but thasts the cool thing about Contenders, a nobody can be a $500 card. A somebody with a production /500 can be a $500+ card. What if that player becomes one of the greatest all time? An /3000 can sell for 4 figures and an /200 can be a $4000 card. What $500 a pack card set can claim that? What other product has that history? None, because no one else collects RC autos from other sets the way people collect Contenders.
Trying to finish these sets:
1999 Upper Deck Strike Force Quantum /100
2000 Score Complete Players Green/ Blue
2000 Leaf Piece of the Game Preview 4th Down Isaac Bruce
2008 Premier NFL Equipment /25 John Elway

Let me know if you have any available.

I will, I collect everything of Quinton Patton. I am not one of these collectors that only do GU'ed and Auto's. Those guys sew what they wheep. I just have fun collecting, and don't get mad when I can't afford something. I always stick with what I can afford and be very happy with it.
(03-04-2014, 11:33 AM)Marinocollector Wrote: LOL. Pro Set? Millions and millions of cards vs. an /800? Also, you guys feel free to collect the more limited cards all you want, it will not change the perceived value and demand of Contenders vs. everything else. It is your collection and I am not downgrading what you collect, but to disregard a fact of the hobby is ludicrous.

The majority of collectors want consistency and uniformity and value, Playoff Contenders has shown that for the past 16 years. Team collectors, set collectors, investors, player collectors all go for Contenders. Its the ONLY NFL football product that has lasted every year the past 21 years outside of Topps and Score. Sure you can use the SP nobody cards and shake a stick at them, but those are cards of scrubs. Why not showcase the 04 Fitzgerald? Why not show the Drew Brees or the Tom Brady? How about Aaron Rodgers? The peak values of Tony Romo? Its an /999 card that still sells well above its debut price? You guys forget, set collectors finish their sets, and stop. Why not talk about the /23 Tyron Smith that seems to still sell over $600, for an offensive lineman because Cowboy fans want to complete their Contenders run? Kenny Irons was stamped "no autograph" Aaron Kelly still sells over $200+ and Jed Collins dropped big time from the get go. These cards did start amazingly high, but thasts the cool thing about Contenders, a nobody can be a $500 card. A somebody with a production /500 can be a $500+ card. What if that player becomes one of the greatest all time? An /3000 can sell for 4 figures and an /200 can be a $4000 card. What $500 a pack card set can claim that? What other product has that history? None, because no one else collects RC autos from other sets the way people collect Contenders.

+1. Contenders is Contenders. Rich history...affordable...I love them and buy a ton of them every year. I can only say about these and SP Authentic.
(03-04-2014, 11:33 AM)Marinocollector Wrote: LOL. Pro Set? Millions and millions of cards vs. an /800? Also, you guys feel free to collect the more limited cards all you want, it will not change the perceived value and demand of Contenders vs. everything else. It is your collection and I am not downgrading what you collect, but to disregard a fact of the hobby is ludicrous.

NY Giants and HOF/legend/superstar collector.
[Image: GiantsFade.png]

If a player comes out of no where so to speak, you can almost gaurantee he will have a rookie auto in contenders. Its like you're buying the lotto ticket well before the drawing.
My Bucket

Wish list
1) Reggie White Auto
2) 2005 Topps Fan Favorite John Elway Auto (Baseball)
4) $$$ to buy 1 & 2