`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need More Youth Setting up at Card Shows?

Need More Youth Setting up at Card Shows?
We often lament that there are less kids in the hobby today but having organized the Toronto Card Show for a number of years now I've often noticed that there are a lot of vendors who have literally been around for decades with hardly the same numbers following in their footsteps.

I was 13 years old when I was setting up at card shows, we had a group of teens at the last show that had a lot of fun and will setup again, and we have a young rising star who has become a regular at the ripe age of only 21. Still, there is a big gap between the number of vendors over and under the age of 40. I'd like to see more collectors under the age of 40 give setting up at a card show a shot.

Setting up at a card show can be a daunting task but I'd like to make it easier with the New Young Vendor Start-Up Program at The Toronto Card Show.

If you're under 40 and you setup at a card show for the first time and don't make enough money to cover your table, that's OK so long as you had fun and hopefully learned something. I'd like to make it easier at the beginning by offering new vendors under the age of 40 an opportunity to setup at the show at a low introductory rate on a rising rate scale over the course of 3 shows. So while you're learning, your costs are low, and then you can establish yourself into a regular or semi-regular vendor over the course of a few shows without any risk and very little investment.

If you're interested in setting up at The Toronto Card Show and think this program might be right for you, go to http://www.TorontoCardShow.com/dealers.html and e-mail me with the subject line: New Young Vendor Start-Up Program

You just might be one of the well established vendors on the scene 20 years from now, just like many are today who have been setting up at card shows since the 90's!

RE: Need More Youth Setting up at Card Shows?
My 9 year old son has been bugging me for 2 years to set up maybe I will talk with him and see if he still wants to do it.

Might be a fun father and son activity each month.

We've had a few father-son and father-daughter vendors at our show over time and one of the vendors daughters helps me out at the show.

great move Frank!! this will help out for sure
using tracking numbers (all US and some Can)

Thanks! I hope so!

If anyone is interested in setting up at the show, email me!

Great idea but one problem. I've been to countless Nationals here in U.S. and 90% of what I see is either vintage or high end autographs. Kids coming in with collections they have put together won't sell much. I've observed lots of kids try to sell or trade to the old veterans and be told that's junk you have there . "I can't give that crap away" Unless they're with daddy dealer kids get treated horrible at most big shows because they don't have enough money in their pockets to pay for Mr big shot dealers plane ticket home. Still think it's a great idea just think the hobby has moved to far from the kids long ago.
Photobucket

Not a problem at all. There's everything from modern to vintage and low end to high end and there are enough collectors going to the show looking for it all.

We've had young vendors setup at the show and some have become regulars. I'm just trying to encourage more of it.

bump - we only have a few tables left