Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sports Art/cards

Sports Art/cards
Wanting to ask a question.
I've had some success painting sports figures. I've done Beckett magazine cover art appeared numerous times and have won the Beckett purchase awards. As well Jim Beckett has personally bought some of my pieces.
I have a unique idea and I want as much opinion of it as possible. I was thinking of creating paintings/baseball cards. Each painting/card would be unique or one of a kind. Because I have an ability to paint small, I can fit a nice portrait or action shot painting on a 2.5"x3.5" card. So in essence, I would create a set of cards, each card being one of a kind and personally signed by me that are original art only and not prints.
Would there be interest in these?
What should they sell for?

I paint watercolors. This is my website if you wish to see more detail of my paintings. There are more than these, these are just the ones that I have still and can get a good reproduction of (except the Berra which I got a nice high quality pic of)
A photobucket of a screen shot is attached.
http://www.jaytysver.com/sports-art.html

[Image: Screenshot2014-02-25at63712AM_zpsa5c9eef6.png]
[Image: sig2_zps1ec2af91.jpg]

RE: Sports Art/cards
Nice stuff. I think you would have a lot of interest but have no idea what your price would or should be.

Myself, I'd only be interested in baseball and would probably lean towards action vs portrait paintings (maybe iconic plays of the world series w mult players...something along those lines).

Good luck and I'll enjoy reading this thread and seeing your follow-up.

*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

Very nice! I have a friend who collects sports art. I will pass along your link to him.

Myself, I collect comic book sketch art cards from the artist directly. I would definitely be interested in starting a sports sketch card collection at some point of my favorite players.

Mike
[Image: new-york-skyline-day-panorama_zps1b18efc9.jpg]

Collects NY Yankees, NY Jets, NY Knicks, NY Islanders and NJ Devils as well as players in signature

Awesome artwork!
Your style and technique are fantastic.
I'm certain there would be major interest to keep you busy enough.
For sales, I think you should initially have 2 price points
1) one low price for me
2) 10x that for everyone else Smile

But seriously, I'd guess that a single portrait would be less expensive than an action shot, and an action shot would be dependent on the # of figures involved, and a group portrait would be a multiple of the portrait price depending on the # of portraits.
What your initial base price should be? Who's to say, except you? Artwork is so much more than '$$$ X Time'.... Or supplies, or size, etc, etc. I guess you could auction a portrait of Mike Trout on eBay and gauge fair market value by what it sells for and use that as a guide?

No matter what you do, good luck, and remember the 90% Dr. Mitch discount Smile
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

very nice, but i do have a question:

if you do end up selling these, how are you going to get around profiting while using trademarked items, such as team logos?

I wouldn't be making prints.
I can paint anything I want as an individual piece and keep it or sell it, including logos and/or likenesses.
I don't have a right to mass produce them.

In other words, an individual painting holds its value as a painting.

(02-25-2014, 12:33 PM)Phillies_Joe Wrote: Nice stuff. I think you would have a lot of interest but have no idea what your price would or should be.

Myself, I'd only be interested in baseball and would probably lean towards action vs portrait paintings (maybe iconic plays of the world series w mult players...something along those lines).

Good luck and I'll enjoy reading this thread and seeing your follow-up.
+1. My sentiments exactly on all points.

Whatever you price them at, I know will be out of my price range but I'm sure others here with deeper pockets would have interest. I do like the Magic/Bird image.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

There was an explosion in sketch cards a year or so ago, and there are some really nice ones done that aren't put out by card companies. Unfortunately this has really saturated the market for card sized sports art, and has caused the general price to drop unless the art is by a well known artist or very uniquely done. There are a number of websites that are devoted to selling/trading of homemade sketch cards. While only a portion of those are sports figures, there are still a bunch to chose from.
Your artwork is very nice, so if you can find some way of distinguishing your cards from every other sketch card, then you may be able to carve out a nice piece of the market. Best of luck in whatever you decide to do.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

Thank you DJohn. Very helpful.
The superrealistic route would take a lot of time per card and would be quite costly.
Looking at some of the websites, I get an idea what kind of costs and how much time I could put into things to sell them. Which also effects the type of sketch (style) or painting I did.

(02-25-2014, 02:21 PM)jtysver1 Wrote: I can paint anything I want as an individual piece and keep it or sell it,
I'd be sure to check with a trademark attorney on this. You have the right to keep it...doubtful you have the right to (legally) sell it without paying appropriate license fee(s)

[Image: ceocards6copy.png]

Click on banner for photobucket link.