`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is PSA Grading Sheet-Cut Vintage Card Now?

Is PSA Grading Sheet-Cut Vintage Card Now?
Just found this on Ebay. A PSA 10 OPC 1969-70 #102 Bill Flett card with flawless edges. These are typical edges of the numerous vintage sheet-cut card BVG continues to grade (and that usually get sold on Ebay for significantly less than PSA).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400660664147?_tr...EBIDX%3AIT

Notably, PSA has a policy against grading sheet-cut cards: "PSA will not grade cards cut from sheets that can be obtained in a normal fashion."

http://www.psacard.com/Services/PSAGradingStandards

It seems that PSA prided themselves for not grading sheet-cut cards (that can be obtained in wax packs). Has anyone seen PSA 10 sheet-cut cards before?

RE: Is PSA Grading Sheet-Cut Vintage Card Now?
So what's the issue? A Gem Mint card should have flawless edges, regardless of who grades it, no? Or is this one of those OPC issues that typically has fuzzy edges anyway?

Vintage OPC hockey cards usually have fuzzy edges. But the one I mentioned above and even this more modern one below from 1981-82 are notorious for their fuzzy edges. Because of inherent production issues and the stringent BGS grading scale, I've yet to see modern ('til the late 80's) or vintage OPC hockey cards receiving a grade of BGS/BVG 10 and not be sheet-cut (If anyone has examples of a rare non sheet-cut BGS 10 hockey card from before the 90's, I'd like to see it).

Here is the Gretzky 1981-82 card:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-O-Pee-Chee-...338eb234f6

So, I was wondering if anyone knew whether PSA changed their policy on sheet-cut cards (or if some of their graders are simply unaware of the policy). And while at it I wonder also why the Gretzky 1981-82 card is a PSA 9, where it appears that centering, corners and edges are in outstanding condition (maybe surface is bad, hard to say). Indeed, I've seen plenty of PSA 10 with debatable edges and noticeable off-centering.

My concern for collectors is that such a change in policy for PSA will complicate the landscape of their pop report (which primarily consisted of pack-pulled cards). In particular, PSA 10 are sometimes regarded as being more difficult to obtain than BGS 9.5/10 sheet-cut cards, therefore reaching higher value on the market. Consequently, it could also increase the competition for sheet-cut card grading of which BGS/BVG used to be the "leader".

You should ask the Collectors Universe (PSA) Forum.

As far as I know PSA does not grade sheet cut cards. But I'm not a huge PSA graded card collector.

Talking to other collectors who have pretty extensive PSA registries this would be tantamount to treason. One of the huge selling points for PSA is the fact that the will not grade sheet cut cards. If they began doing this the only advantage they would have over Beckett would be their registry.

The reason why many vintage cards graded by PSA sell for a higher premium than BVG is due to the fact that PSA will only grade cards from a pack. If PSA graded sheet cut cards, a lot of collectors would abandon them in a heartbeat so I believe it is highly unlikely they would go this route.
[Image: pwskelly_zps1a5efa17.jpg]

Collecting: 2005-06 SP Authentic Hockey Marks of Distinction and Mike Liut.