`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Should college Football Players be allowed to Unionize?

Should college Football Players be allowed to Unionize?
NorthWestern Wildcats have made a request to the NLRB (National Labor Relations Board) to allow collegiate athletes to Unionize, and be considered as employees of the School.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/initial-hea...ncaaf.html

So, if the NLRB finds in the favor for the athletes to be considered employees, how is this going to affect card manufacturers, as well as ticket prices, etc....
the bucket
http://postimage.org/Shez

WANTED:
2006 FLAIR SHOWCASE SIGNATURES #/35

RE: Should college Football Players be allowed to Unionize?
If they are found to be employees of the school and thus are paid for playing football, wouldn't they lose their amateur status and therefore become ineligible to play college football per NCAA rules?
[Image: UWashBanner2.jpg]
Banner by mattfastiggi
Collecting: Brett Favre (7,771 unique as of 6/1/2015), Packers, UW Huskies (Shaq Thompson, Shelton, Peters, Kikaha, Sankey, ASJ, Trufant, Locker, Brunell, Dillon, etc.)

I am torn. I do think that college football players deserve a piece of this huge cash pie that they are primarily are responsible for creating.

However, I do not like the idea of a union. Unions typically take the role these days of holding the employers financial hostage and therefore usually end up closing the business.

Unions were needed when they were first created to keep workers safe and to get a fair wage. There are now laws for employee safety as well as a department called Occupation Safety and Health Administration. The free market takes care of fair wages.

IMO.
My Bucket

Wish list
1) Reggie White Auto
2) 2005 Topps Fan Favorite John Elway Auto (Baseball)
4) $$$ to buy 1 & 2

I say pay them and revoke their scholarships. Give them the choice school or payday. Charge them out of state tuition to play at their school if they are not a resident of the state. Use the money from the bowl games to pay for scholarships of the players not looking to get paid.
Quinton Patton's GU and Autos

Just watched a documentary on this, they are using these kids to make million, billions of dollars. But if they pay them, then most schools would lose funding for nearly every other sport and extra circulars. Pretty nasty stuff. I think they should get something out of it. Don't know what or how much but something, or let them just go to the NFL. They lock these kids into 3 year contracts basically and if they go off the NCAA path then the NCAA cuts eligibility. Hostages per NCAA.