`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Goodwill/Yardsale Finds

Goodwill/Yardsale Finds
Hey Everyone, I thought I would try this thread over here. How many of you ever shop at Goodwill or Yard Sale? I like going in to Goodwill to see what kind of stuff I can find. So far my finds are as followed:

I went to Goodwill and found 4 Ceramic Sports Bears and 1 Cow. They were from the following teams:
NY Rangers- Wayne Gretzky
Colorado Avalanche- #21 Forsberg
St. Louis Cardinals (COW)
New Orleans Saints
Colorado Rockies
Gave a $1.50 each for them.

2- Mickey Mantle Youths Baseball Gloves from the 60's
1 Yogi Berra Youths Catchers Mitt from the 60
Pittsburgh Pirates Dave Parker Plate.

Would love to know what you have found, that was a steal at Goodwill/ Yard Sales.

[Image: 006_zps5f962800.jpg]
Quinton Patton's GU and Autos

RE: Goodwill/Yardsale Finds
Every now and then I can find a box or bag of cards at my goodwill. 99% of the time they are 90s commons, but I did find a Derek Jeter Topps gold rookie that I sold for $15 and it was in a $3 box, that's my only success lol.

As far as sports collectables or related items, I found a colts replica helmet once, I live in Ohio lol, but I was dinged up pretty bad but I still got it. I've gotten Tim couch, Grady Sizemore, Ken Griffey Jr. bobble heads, and I always find the sports novels Like tebow and bob knight. They had real crazy Jeff Gordon blow up car, it was pretty large but I had no space to use it as such, so I didn't get it.

That is pretty cool. Wished I find some Ken Griffey Jr at Goodwill.
(02-08-2014, 01:26 AM)butterworth1326 Wrote: Every now and then I can find a box or bag of cards at my goodwill. 99% of the time they are 90s commons, but I did find a Derek Jeter Topps gold rookie that I sold for $15 and it was in a $3 box, that's my only success lol.

As far as sports collectables or related items, I found a colts replica helmet once, I live in Ohio lol, but I was dinged up pretty bad but I still got it. I've gotten Tim couch, Grady Sizemore, Ken Griffey Jr. bobble heads, and I always find the sports novels Like tebow and bob knight. They had real crazy Jeff Gordon blow up car, it was pretty large but I had no space to use it as such, so I didn't get it.

I always look, but rarely find anything at GW. I have more luck at low-end antique stores. Again, lots of 90s and such, but you can occasionally find a keeper.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

I usually find people who have extremely common cards, in deplorable condition that they want triple book for. I haven't physically gone somewhere to find cards in nearly a decade. Mostly because I'm busy, but just as much from disgust... even local card shows seem to be a waste of time.
#1 on the PSA Registry Marino Master set
* Always buying ANY reasonably priced Marino card(s) I don't already have *
-- WANT LIST LINK --

I just like going to places and to just look and see if I find anything Sports Related. I usually find stuff for reasonable prices. I seen a Headliners sport figure set. It was Ken Griffey Jr/ Mark Mcgwire. They was asking $29.95 and it was at a Salvation Army.

Much of my eBay store is stocked with what I find at Goodwill and Value Village. I devote 2-4 hours per week making stops on my commute home from work, as I have about 20 locations to choose from along the way. I average 15 new items per week to list. I stick to what I know best, sports and entertainment themed items. My best movers are jerseys and jackets, stadium giveaway bobbleheads, T-shirts, and autographed items, mostly signed books. I know what I should expect to get out of everything I buy and as long as I'm going to worst case scenario double the investment with the sale I will buy it.

The autographs are where my expertise in identifying signatures pays off best because often these things are left behind by the thrifters due to them being unable to recognize who it is, or in the case of books taking the time to search. I'm also able to pick up the garments I do because most thrift store shoppers are only looking for their sizes.

I've been doing business this way for about two years and it saved my online store. I try to budget less than $50 a week for it with the goal of it generating $250 for every $50 spent. It supplements the rest of my business and has allowed me to gradually increase my online presence while most of my colleagues in what I did to stock my store previously find themselves shrinking their stores or closing them altogether.

I've had several huge finds over the past two years but the two biggest were Gary Payton's game worn Milwaukee Bucks jersey and 7 jerseys worn by current NBA player Tony Wroten, Jr. I've found tons of signed items, running the gamut from a framed photo signed by Brett Favre with his COA to a book signed by Bob Hope.

Here's how easy it is to get started: many Goodwills sell T-shirts at 99 cents (Value Village is a little more). At that price they can be listed at $9.99 with free shipping and after fees and using 9x12 bubble mailers bought at WalMart to ship them will clear the seller just over $5 per shirt. The seller can very easily pocket $4 of each shirt and spend 99 cents on another one and repeat the process.

(02-09-2014, 09:16 PM)pacrimcollectibles Wrote: Much of my eBay store is stocked with what I find at Goodwill and Value Village. I devote 2-4 hours per week making stops on my commute home from work, as I have about 20 locations to choose from along the way. I average 15 new items per week to list. I stick to what I know best, sports and entertainment themed items. My best movers are jerseys and jackets, stadium giveaway bobbleheads, T-shirts, and autographed items, mostly signed books. I know what I should expect to get out of everything I buy and as long as I'm going to worst case scenario double the investment with the sale I will buy it.

The autographs are where my expertise in identifying signatures pays off best because often these things are left behind by the thrifters due to them being unable to recognize who it is, or in the case of books taking the time to search. I'm also able to pick up the garments I do because most thrift store shoppers are only looking for their sizes.

I've been doing business this way for about two years and it saved my online store. I try to budget less than $50 a week for it with the goal of it generating $250 for every $50 spent. It supplements the rest of my business and has allowed me to gradually increase my online presence while most of my colleagues in what I did to stock my store previously find themselves shrinking their stores or closing them altogether.

I've had several huge finds over the past two years but the two biggest were Gary Payton's game worn Milwaukee Bucks jersey and 7 jerseys worn by current NBA player Tony Wroten, Jr. I've found tons of signed items, running the gamut from a framed photo signed by Brett Favre with his COA to a book signed by Bob Hope.

Here's how easy it is to get started: many Goodwills sell T-shirts at 99 cents (Value Village is a little more). At that price they can be listed at $9.99 with free shipping and after fees and using 9x12 bubble mailers bought at WalMart to ship them will clear the seller just over $5 per shirt. The seller can very easily pocket $4 of each shirt and spend 99 cents on another one and repeat the process.
They must have "great" wills in your neck of the woods, lol nothing like that ever in one of my goodwills. People have heart attacks for Super Nintendo controllers..

lol, that is funny.
(02-09-2014, 10:45 PM)butterworth1326 Wrote: They must have "great" wills in your neck of the woods, lol nothing like that ever in one of my goodwills. People have heart attacks for Super Nintendo controllers..

I like to hit up the local AmVets around me every once in a while. I've done pretty well picking up some nice furniture and dish/glass wares for pennies of what they sell for. Picked up a baggie of old loose SLUs once for like $2 or something, nice to have Joe Montana on top of my TV.

Did have one real "FIND" once, about 4 years ago. I walked in and saw this hanging on a hook, along with all the other well worn, dirty, beat-up winter hats and scarves :

[Image: 140212_0001_zpsde4f557d.jpg]
[Image: 140212_0003_zps2643d994.jpg]

There were 2 of them.

Both brand new - with tags still on them.

They were 49 cents a piece.

Yes, I bought them both.

As I was cashing out, I could hear a guy start yelling from the back of the store, using some very lovely words, about how "THEY'RE GONE!"

Yeah, cherry on top.
''I've never been in style, so I can never go out of style." - Lillian Gish ( 1
893 - 1993)