Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
PC Strategy Help
Big Grin 
PC Strategy Help
Hey everyone. I am noticing that a lot of the members here have really great Personal Collections. I can honestly say I am jealous. What strategy do you guys use when building your Personal Collections? Do you just focus on one specific type of cards, or do you go for the big ones first? I want my Personal Collection to be of Rookies,Base, Parallels, Inserts, Serial Numbered, Game-Used and Autos. What approach do you guys take on your Personal Collection?
Quinton Patton's GU and Autos

RE: PC Strategy Help
Not sure what others are doing, but I picked one guy I'm trying to do a super collection of, so I mostly focus on him. I collect a ton of other guys, but I decided to only put together certain sets of them. As I am on a very limited budget, I try to trade, or buy, the low numbered cards, say /50 and under first...Then I just keep my eyes open for deals here and there and add when I can. Just my philosophy for now, but I'm all over the place lol.

I try to PC, then I get started and then I Flat Line. I have found some people are willing to trade here at Beckett. Other sites is like pulling teeth. I will just take my time and see where it takes me. I was shocked though when I was checking Beckett, they are saying there is 1004 cards that I am needing for 2013. I see that as overwhelming myself.I guess I have a lot of work ahead of me.
(02-06-2014, 02:46 PM)savagenate Wrote: Not sure what others are doing, but I picked one guy I'm trying to do a super collection of, so I mostly focus on him. I collect a ton of other guys, but I decided to only put together certain sets of them. As I am on a very limited budget, I try to trade, or buy, the low numbered cards, say /50 and under first...Then I just keep my eyes open for deals here and there and add when I can. Just my philosophy for now, but I'm all over the place lol.

Patience is definitely key. As you can tell from my sig, my big collecting right now is the Super Bowl autos that were officially produced of Packers players when they won (though, thinking of doing the 97 SB as well since I already have most of them). I lucked out on a number of them because I got really good deals or was able to trade for them. I have been collecting Packers cards since 1989, but haven't really gotten too hardcore into it until a couple of years ago when I finally started making enough money to be able to spend some without breaking the bank. I'm also severely ADHD, so I collect just about anything Packers if I can trade or buy at a reasonable price/trade value. So, even though I have all of the Packers SB autos I have listed in my sig, I also have over 740 different Brett Favre cards, over 200 Aaron Rodgers, over 100 different for at least 6 different players as well, and have 1/1s, printing plates, jersey cards, and even football piece cards. That being said, I didn't get my first Packers auto until 2002, after collecting for 13 years. Now, I have almost 180 different ones!

One thing I do as well that's helped me tremendously: If you see a card on eBay (or a lot) that has players in it that you know people on here collect and they have something you want, and it's a good price, pick it up! I got an Elway card a while back that a seller had listed along with some Favres I wanted, and it had a book value of around 40 bucks. Including the Favre cards I picked up, I paid a total of about 17 bucks with shipping for all of it (which was a STEAL I tell you!). I was able to post it for trade and get some more Favre cards for that Elway. I've also specifically went out and bought things to trade as well for stuff that I know that a person who has something I want that I can't find anywhere else would want and gotten it that way. Then, I occasionally break product in the hope that I'll either pull a good GB card for the PC, though if not, hopefully I can pull something that I can trade.

If you are like most of us, your PC will shift and change from time to time. Just give yourself some attainable goals so you can celebrate small victories along the way. Remember this is a hobby and not something that should cause you stress.

I am currently doing a PC of great players that played in the secondary.

My Bucket

Wish list
1) Reggie White Auto
2) 2005 Topps Fan Favorite John Elway Auto (Baseball)
4) $$$ to buy 1 & 2

(02-06-2014, 02:52 PM)jywilli69 Wrote: I try to PC, then I get started and then I Flat Line. I have found some people are willing to trade here at Beckett. Other sites is like pulling teeth. I will just take my time and see where it takes me. I was shocked though when I was checking Beckett, they are saying there is 1004 cards that I am needing for 2013. I see that as overwhelming myself.I guess I have a lot of work ahead of me.
Yeah, that many cards is out of my scope for now lol. I'm working on Vontaze Burfict, and he really doesn't have many cards. 172 right now, but he's not a big star. For players like Aaron Rodgers, I'm only collecting him in the sets I like. I'm not going to try to collect every one of his however many thousand cards lol. That helps me narrow it down, yet have plenty of cards to chase from each of his years.

That is why I picked Quinton Patton. He is new, and his stuff hasn't taken off like crazy. I am fixing my Bucket and loading my trade stuff, so when I trade again, I will be more prepared.
(02-06-2014, 10:09 PM)savagenate Wrote: Yeah, that many cards is out of my scope for now lol. I'm working on Vontaze Burfict, and he really doesn't have many cards. 172 right now, but he's not a big star. For players like Aaron Rodgers, I'm only collecting him in the sets I like. I'm not going to try to collect every one of his however many thousand cards lol. That helps me narrow it down, yet have plenty of cards to chase from each of his years.

LOL, that is Ebay that gets me. I find things I want and people go after it like hawks.I was try for a 2013 Topps Chrome Gold Refractor # 181 Quinton Patton. Guy decided to try to drive the price up, so I drove it to $40 and the guy who bought it paid $45.
(02-06-2014, 09:49 PM)jeremy7269 Wrote: If you are like most of us, your PC will shift and change from time to time. Just give yourself some attainable goals so you can celebrate small victories along the way. Remember this is a hobby and not something that should cause you stress.

I am currently doing a PC of great players that played in the secondary.

(02-06-2014, 02:46 PM)savagenate Wrote: Not sure what others are doing, but I picked one guy I'm trying to do a super collection of, so I mostly focus on him. I collect a ton of other guys, but I decided to only put together certain sets of them. As I am on a very limited budget, I try to trade, or buy, the low numbered cards, say /50 and under first...Then I just keep my eyes open for deals here and there and add when I can. Just my philosophy for now, but I'm all over the place lol.
+1

This is what I think is the best way, pick a player who is semi good and you'll always be chasing a card or 2. I wait for a 1/1 to pop up and usually get it. I get other rare cards under /25 right away too. Base and most parallels are easy to get. People have more than one guy or a team, whatever you want it to be. I only collect 1 player and try to get every card!

(02-06-2014, 02:52 PM)jywilli69 Wrote: I try to PC, then I get started and then I Flat Line. I have found some people are willing to trade here at Beckett. Other sites is like pulling teeth. I will just take my time and see where it takes me. I was shocked though when I was checking Beckett, they are saying there is 1004 cards that I am needing for 2013. I see that as overwhelming myself.I guess I have a lot of work ahead of me.
I know it can seem overwhelming when you see how many cards are out there for your PC guy, I PC Kobe and he has over 8000 cards out there, I got into collecting 4 years ago but only started to PC Kobe 2 years ago, I collect all, base, inserts, auto's, GU whatever I can find. I have found buying lots on ebay of my PC guy is a great way to build the collection even if it's a lot of 8 or 10 and I only need 4 or 5 if the price is right it's a good thing because you can use the dupes to trade for others you may need. I may never own some of the BIG ones but I love what I have and the chase is so much fun. I've been lucky to pull the 3 auto's I have myself in my PC because I don't have deep pockets, but sometimes if I have a little extra $$ I will treat myself to a few of the higher end cards if I can find them. Your PC will grow so no worries....Enjoy the chase because it's a blast. Good Luck.....

Tahnks, it has been fun so far collecting Quinton Patton Cards. I had a guy offer me a deal on 5 of his Autos, I waiting to get a deal done and go fishing for some other nice stuff.
(02-07-2014, 12:55 AM)nicholsr98 Wrote: I know it can seem overwhelming when you see how many cards are out there for your PC guy, I PC Kobe and he has over 8000 cards out there, I got into collecting 4 years ago but only started to PC Kobe 2 years ago, I collect all, base, inserts, auto's, GU whatever I can find. I have found buying lots on ebay of my PC guy is a great way to build the collection even if it's a lot of 8 or 10 and I only need 4 or 5 if the price is right it's a good thing because you can use the dupes to trade for others you may need. I may never own some of the BIG ones but I love what I have and the chase is so much fun. I've been lucky to pull the 3 auto's I have myself in my PC because I don't have deep pockets, but sometimes if I have a little extra $$ I will treat myself to a few of the higher end cards if I can find them. Your PC will grow so no worries....Enjoy the chase because it's a blast. Good Luck.....

I know what you mean on limited budgets.

It makes me think that they are Mass Producing cards, so they can make a buck. I do love the cards that are 100 and under and open to 999 and under. They are still limited , but I guess the card companies only see $$$$$ and not what's best for the hobby.
(02-07-2014, 12:55 AM)nicholsr98 Wrote: I know it can seem overwhelming when you see how many cards are out there for your PC guy, I PC Kobe and he has over 8000 cards out there, I got into collecting 4 years ago but only started to PC Kobe 2 years ago, I collect all, base, inserts, auto's, GU whatever I can find. I have found buying lots on ebay of my PC guy is a great way to build the collection even if it's a lot of 8 or 10 and I only need 4 or 5 if the price is right it's a good thing because you can use the dupes to trade for others you may need. I may never own some of the BIG ones but I love what I have and the chase is so much fun. I've been lucky to pull the 3 auto's I have myself in my PC because I don't have deep pockets, but sometimes if I have a little extra $$ I will treat myself to a few of the higher end cards if I can find them. Your PC will grow so no worries....Enjoy the chase because it's a blast. Good Luck.....