Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help please

Help please
Need help
I need help in regards to what hobby boxes are the best ones to purchase. I've recently have had the urge to get back collecting. I collect NHL, NBA, NFL, MLB all the information received would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

RE: Help please
What are your goals, wants, budget? Prizm is a good product.
[Image: 7966e60e-33ac-4de8-bdd9-1ba754cc86b5_zps67dad6ae.jpg]

(02-04-2014, 01:04 PM)pingbling23 Wrote: What are your goals, wants, budget? Prizm is a good product.
I don't want to spend over the top dollar yet but max for a box 150-200 a box. As per goal, I'd like to get few good hits that would generally pay for the box plus little profit making or perhaps trading for something I would be collecting

(02-04-2014, 01:08 PM)czw4life Wrote: I don't want to spend over the top dollar yet but max for a box 150-200 a box. As per goal, I'd like to get few good hits that would generally pay for the box plus little profit making or perhaps trading for something I would be collecting
"As per goal, I'd like to get few good hits that would generally pay for the box plus little profit "

just my pov: buying a box and hoping to break even? only happens about 50% of the time. paying for the box and making a little profit? extremely rare

buying cases gives you slightly better odds. but boxes are a total lottery if you are looking to even break even

(02-04-2014, 01:48 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: "As per goal, I'd like to get few good hits that would generally pay for the box plus little profit "

just my pov: buying a box and hoping to break even? only happens about 50% of the time. paying for the box and making a little profit? extremely rare

buying cases gives you slightly better odds. but boxes are a total lottery if you are looking to even break even
I agree with Jacoby on this. While you may break even in terms of book value, the likelihood of making a profit when busting a box is not that good. The best chance is to get a box of a product right before it gets hot (like Fleer Retro in basketball a year ago). Also if you are going to try and break for profit then you either need to open and resell within the first few days that a product is released or get a super awesome deal on a box and land hits that actually sell. There are plenty of boxes that guarantee a few autos or mem cards per box, but when you go to sell them you end up only getting a couple bucks for each (even for some of the big names). So you really need to do research before trying to bust wax for profit.
Good luck in whatever you decide to do, but always remember that cards are a fun hobby and aren't meant for people to break boxes for profit (even though plenty of people try). I do agree with Jacoby that the best chance to turn a profit is in busting a case and not just an individual box, but even then you might not break even.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/