`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Has the Beckett Community shrunk ?

RE: Has the Beckett Community shrunk ?
(01-26-2014, 04:11 PM)nickm1123 Wrote: Yes the community has drastically increased. When I first started on this site (2009ish) I would check the forum 3-4 times a day and each time I checked there would be new content. I can seriously go 2-3 days without checking and the same threads be up. Nothing new. It is sad to me because this is the only site I go to. I have tried other sites but I just do not feel as comfortable there as I do here. I have even stopped posting my mail day threads because it seems the same 2-3 people post on them and that's it....so really no point. I no longer purchase the online price guide for these reasons as well. The crazy thing is that the football and baseball sides continue to flourish. Not sure why basketball has gone this dry.
I cancelled my subscription to the online price guide as well. I don't post my mail days much anymore either.....here or on the football forums. No one really responds so I'm with you on that one.
[Image: Untitled-1-1.jpg]

(01-27-2014, 11:35 AM)aviat0rshades Wrote: I cancelled my subscription to the online price guide as well. I don't post my mail days much anymore either.....here or on the football forums. No one really responds so I'm with you on that one.
Tell me about it...the last update I made to my Gerald Henderson Auto collection included his rookie year NT logoman 1/1 auto and nobody said anything lol
Players I Collect:

[Image: NewBanner_zps183e3df7.jpg][/URL]

Henderson Auto PC Stats:
Non 1/1's Autos: 193/202 95.5%
1/1's: 22/37 59.5%
Jersey #'d - 65

(01-27-2014, 11:47 AM)crimedawg47 Wrote: Tell me about it...the last update I made to my Gerald Henderson Auto collection included his rookie year NT logoman 1/1 auto and nobody said anything lol
There's only a few people who really care about my PC so I really just text them or shoot them a message when I get new stuff.
[Image: Untitled-1-1.jpg]

I have only been a member here for 18 months or so and I feel like I am noticing a decrease in activity just between this basketball season and last season. I think a lot of it is due to the lack of interest in the hobby following the Panini rush of the "historic double rookie class". It's such a double edged sword. I too don't post many maildays as sometimes the feedback isn't worth the time which is only further taking away from the site.

I also belong to other sites, but only because there is a lack of traffic here. I wish everyone would trade through Beckett as I hate saying I have a card, and then the person asking what I would be interested in, and then checking buckets, and then more and more steps. I really love trading through this site, but the supply is limited due to the lack of traffic. I have also said many times that I find the quality of conversation and maturity of the forum members to be far above that found on other sites.
[Image: lnuVdUL.png]

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I really don't get all of the "Mail Day" posts, the "Hey, check out how much money I spent on cards this week" threads, and the "My collection is better than yours" bulletins. I'm assuming users don't interact as much as they used to because most users might feel like their collections pale in comparison to the usual stuff that gets posted.

What are people supposed to say after someone posts a 1/1 Gerald Henderson NT Logo man card … awesome card? Would that really make the community better as a whole? It's a 1/1 on card NT Logo man auto. Of course it's an amazing card. Congratulations.

I could be wrong, but I believe it says Hobby Talk in the forum header. Why don't more people talk Hobby? What's grinding peoples gears? What could companies be doing better? What are companies doing right? What are your favorite sets/cards from this year? Which sets sucked? Which specific cards had the best photography? How will ____ effect player X's card value? Trends in pricing? Why was collecting cards in the 90's/your youth awesome? Best Nostalgia sets/ cards?

You know, actually hobby talk. Not just another stoke my "E-Peen" thread.

On a side note, I do love the NBA 50 Greatest Autos thread, it's a thread with a theme and purpose. I dig it. Same goes for people collecting certain sets and posting progress. It's cool to follow. But when 90% of the posts equate to "Check out my stuff", It doesn't surprise me to see such little participation.

Just my 2 cents.

Viva la Panini Resistance!

I have to say I appreciate the mailday posts. I do believe that there is a vast diversity of collectors on this site. Most other sites you can go through and see all the Jordan, Kobe, Lebron, Kyrie and Durant cards you want. On this site we have Kandiman, Henderson, etc. The maildays are not just 1/1 logomans, but a lot of people also post common cards and some great 90's stuff. Just recently we all got to drool over the Ultra Nicknames set.

This is a small hobby and most of us don't have a tone of people in our lives that get overly excited about this stuff. This is a place to share pickups and get feedback. I don't post stuff to highlight the money I spend, but rather the collection as a whole. If anyone has ever read my feedback to others you know I get more excited over a 90's refractor than I do a modern auto. It's just nice to see what people are doing with their PC as that is was drives the hobby.

I think talking issues within the hobby is great, and I think this thread is that as the decreasing activity on this site is a microcosm of the decreasing interest in the hobby IMO. However, with only one company providing licensed product right now the discussion about what they are doing right generally is a list of complaints about over priced boxes, limited return on investment, and too many sticker auto dumps. Personally though, I do wish there was more discussion about the league, what players and teams are up to, how that impacts the hobby, etc.
[Image: lnuVdUL.png]

I'm still here posting and contributing, but albeit far much less than I use to.
And since the whole pay-to-trade thing went into effect, I've uploaded SOME cards 3 times now, only to have the entire ORG get wiped out. The collectors that I deal with want variety, and only able to list a certain amount in ORG before you have to pay is not for me. I have over 2mil cards indexed and if the ORG (or someone out there) keeps deleting my lists, then I've been through trading on here. But for posting and content it's ok.
Posting and attendance is a fad...it comes and it goes. Popular for one site one day, another the next...then we just don't have money anymore to be buying packs that cost $10+ let alone the $700 packs. I think that's driven a lot out of the collecting markets. It's hard for the younger kids to get hooked and become addicts like ourselves to constantly be on the boards and searching and buying and...
Collect Michael Jordan, Stockton/Malone/Hornacek/Eaton, Kresimir Cosic, Int'l oddballs
I specialize in hard to find oddities for player/team collectors
eBay Geonut (100+ auctions)
Int'l/player INVENTORY: http://www.hobbydisplay.com/geonut/

Panini is ruining the basketball hobby in my opinion. The NBA needs to allow Topps, UD or hell even Leaf to have a licence. Plus the hundreds of redemptions that take years not weeks to get back has pushed my interest of opening products to a new low. I'm not a big baseball collector but I bet the baseball community feels the same with Topps having a monopoly with those collectors but I could be way off base with the baseball side of things.

(01-27-2014, 11:47 AM)crimedawg47 Wrote: Tell me about it...the last update I made to my Gerald Henderson Auto collection included his rookie year NT logoman 1/1 auto and nobody said anything lol
I still ask Will about his 1/1 Henderson for you but hes not budging for me either.
[Image: DEAN%20SMITH%20MICHAEL%20JORDAN%20BANNER...qrwcus.jpg]

(01-27-2014, 08:25 PM)SHowley2003 Wrote: I have to say I appreciate the mailday posts. I do believe that there is a vast diversity of collectors on this site. Most other sites you can go through and see all the Jordan, Kobe, Lebron, Kyrie and Durant cards you want. On this site we have Kandiman, Henderson, etc. The maildays are not just 1/1 logomans, but a lot of people also post common cards and some great 90's stuff. Just recently we all got to drool over the Ultra Nicknames set.

This is a small hobby and most of us don't have a tone of people in our lives that get overly excited about this stuff. This is a place to share pickups and get feedback. I don't post stuff to highlight the money I spend, but rather the collection as a whole. If anyone has ever read my feedback to others you know I get more excited over a 90's refractor than I do a modern auto. It's just nice to see what people are doing with their PC as that is was drives the hobby.

I think talking issues within the hobby is great, and I think this thread is that as the decreasing activity on this site is a microcosm of the decreasing interest in the hobby IMO. However, with only one company providing licensed product right now the discussion about what they are doing right generally is a list of complaints about over priced boxes, limited return on investment, and too many sticker auto dumps. Personally though, I do wish there was more discussion about the league, what players and teams are up to, how that impacts the hobby, etc.
I have to agree with this post.

The only thing that gets me- is you didn't mention my Kendall PC man- cmoooooooooon hahaha just kidding.

But I do say I love the maildays, and "themed" collections that are posted. I wish more existed in the basketball forums, as well as the baseballs ones too- as I collect it as well.
My Website: thepointguard.weebly.com
Also Collecting: Five Star Autos, '50s Topps Sets
Current Top Wants: '15 Chipper Jones & Other Five Star Autos
[Image: PGBanner_zps899b0bff.jpg]

(01-27-2014, 08:25 PM)SHowley2003 Wrote: I have to say I appreciate the mailday posts. I do believe that there is a vast diversity of collectors on this site. Most other sites you can go through and see all the Jordan, Kobe, Lebron, Kyrie and Durant cards you want. On this site we have Kandiman, Henderson, etc. The maildays are not just 1/1 logomans, but a lot of people also post common cards and some great 90's stuff. Just recently we all got to drool over the Ultra Nicknames set.

I totally agree with this post.
Although when it's time to complain about "THE" company I also complain about lame looking cards, unimaginative sets and weird patch selection/numbering (a /99 shouldn't look better than a /25!).
And on top of what was stated above, I also like mailday post because I get to live vicariously through them. Being a small collector with small PC, I get to see some amazing cards and sets I probably wouldn't get to see otherwise.
Also, as much as I like the 50 greatest auto chase, I think my favorite post to drool over - I mean follow - is TBarn291's 2012/13 Certified Red Materials Prime Set Chase.

(01-27-2014, 11:49 PM)thepointguard_10 Wrote: I have to agree with this post.

The only thing that gets me- is you didn't mention my Kendall PC man- cmoooooooooon hahaha just kidding.

But I do say I love the maildays, and "themed" collections that are posted. I wish more existed in the basketball forums, as well as the baseballs ones too- as I collect it as well.
And I think your Kendall PC is great by the way.