`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I crazy or is this an obvious case of shilling?

Am I crazy or is this an obvious case of shilling?
Not high dollar at all, but it really is the principle.... I was thinking this was shilled. The other bidder places bids in $0.50 increments until he passes my high bid. Then he retracts his last bid so I become the high bidder at my maximum bid. I know that there are cases similar to this where it was just a d-bag buyer and not the fault of the seller.... but I don't know lol. Keep in mind that all of these bids were back to back and right before the auction ended. I was under the impression you couldn't retract a bid within 24 hours of auction closing unless the seller agreed. So I emailed the seller and asked him if he would cancel all of the bids made by this guy. I haven't heard anything back yet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-13-TYLER-ZE...true&rt=nc

I did a little more investigating, and I am now convinced there is a good chance it wasn't the seller.... I looked at his other listings and saw now signs of suspicious activity. It wouldn't make much sense. So I wonder what the bidders angle was.....
[Image: 23892124190_71315005dc_b.jpg]

RE: Am I crazy or is this an obvious case of shilling?
That auction appears as if it were shilled. Post it on BO for the BODA to do some research. Does that seller do consignments? If so, I would say the person whose card it was wanted to make a few more bucks on that card.
http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q728...232c31.jpg

I am typically a fast shipper and I ALWAYS use Delivery confirmation. Sometimes I forget to provide the number.

(01-18-2014, 01:16 PM)JMarchand1981 Wrote: That auction appears as if it were shilled. Post it on BO for the BODA to do some research. Does that seller do consignments? If so, I would say the person whose card it was wanted to make a few more bucks on that card.
That is the most likely scenario I am thinking. Not sure if he does consignments or not but as much as he sells I would guess so.

I thought about posting there, but I didn't feel like starting/getting involved in a bunch of drama. Those types of posts tend to get blown out of proportion over there whether it's for or against the OP.

Aside from consignment another angle would be if the other bidder had the same card (either for sale on eBay, somewhere else, or had someone interested in buying/trading for it that was adamant about paying/trading based on "eBay prices"). He could have been trying to jack up the selling price, so that he might get more for his card.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

Just look at the stats of the "bidder" 8% of his bids are with this seller, he has 11 retractions in the last 6 months...that alone seems fishy to me. 11 retractions in 6 months? I have been on Ebay for about 4 years now and still haven't done 1 bid retraction, let alone 11 in 6 months....

[Image: Nick.jpg]

I am leaning towards the seller not being responsible but I still don't understand how he retracted his bid with only a few hours left in the auction.

(01-18-2014, 01:19 PM)TBarn291 Wrote: That is the most likely scenario I am thinking. Not sure if he does consignments or not but as much as he sells I would guess so.

I thought about posting there, but I didn't feel like starting/getting involved in a bunch of drama. Those types of posts tend to get blown out of proportion over there whether it's for or against the OP.
As I read this I sat and had to nod in agreement about things getting blown out of proportion.

http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q728...232c31.jpg

I am typically a fast shipper and I ALWAYS use Delivery confirmation. Sometimes I forget to provide the number.

(01-18-2014, 05:38 PM)nickm1123 Wrote: Just look at the stats of the "bidder" 8% of his bids are with this seller, he has 11 retractions in the last 6 months...that alone seems fishy to me. 11 retractions in 6 months? I have been on Ebay for about 4 years now and still haven't done 1 bid retraction, let alone 11 in 6 months....
Yeah that's a pretty strong case right there. I'm not even sure if I know how to retract a bid and I've been on ebay for like 8 years. If I ever accidentally miss a decimal point or something on a bid I'm s.o.l. haha
I collect Michael Jordan, Mitch Richmond, and Ohio State players (football and basketball) in OSU gear. I strongly prefer 90's-era cards and use newer cards primarily for trade bait!

[Image: buckunteer_edited-2-1.gif]

You can retract bids?!

looks like here is the policy:
Listing ends in less than 12 hours... Yes, but only if you retract the bid within one hour of placing it... When you retract the bid, we remove only your most recent bid. Bids you placed prior to the last 12 hours of the listing are not removed.

Thanks for the input guys. I still haven't heard back from seller.... It's not much money and apparently it is in accordance with ebay policy so I guess nothing to do but bite the bullet.