`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question the Grading

Question the Grading
I submitted 32 of the 33 card set of 1954 Red Heart Baseball cards for grading a few weeks ago. The 33rd was the Mantle card. When I inherited the collection a few years ago I immediately sent in the Mantle card for grading. It came back graded a 6. So this time I wanted to get the remaining 32 cards of the set graded as it would be nice for my collection to have them all graded. The problem I have is that the 32 remaining cards came back each graded a "2". My question is if all these cards (33) were together in a box when I received them, how could they all come back each graded a 2 and the Mantle graded a few years earlier a 6? Something doesnt make sense. I cannot believe that the 32 were all in the same condition and only the Mantle was graded a 6. Maybe I should of sent them all in a couple years ago. Im not a rookie collector as I have been doing this for over 40 years. Did anyone else experience something like this? Im beginning to be skeptical about this grading stuff. Thanks

RE: Question the Grading
(09-05-2013, 05:38 PM)ramhawker Wrote: I submitted 32 of the 33 card set of 1954 Red Heart Baseball cards for grading a few weeks ago. The 33rd was the Mantle card. When I inherited the collection a few years ago I immediately sent in the Mantle card for grading. It came back graded a 6. So this time I wanted to get the remaining 32 cards of the set graded as it would be nice for my collection to have them all graded. The problem I have is that the 32 remaining cards came back each graded a "2". My question is if all these cards (33) were together in a box when I received them, how could they all come back each graded a 2 and the Mantle graded a few years earlier a 6? Something doesn't make sense. I cannot believe that the 32 were all in the same condition and only the Mantle was graded a 6. Maybe I should of sent them all in a couple years ago. I'm not a rookie collector as I have been doing this for over 40 years. Did anyone else experience something like this? I'm beginning to be skeptical about this grading stuff. Thanks
You have to think about this. Just by chance, something could have happened to those other cards before they came into your possession. Additionally, those 32 cards' condition could have degraded in the time period that you had the Mantle graded. Plus, not all cards are created equal.

Grading isn't for everyone.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

(09-05-2013, 08:31 PM)nolan5000 Wrote: You have to think about this. Just by chance, something could have happened to those other cards before they came into your possession. Additionally, those 32 cards' condition could have degraded in the time period that you had the Mantle graded. Plus, not all cards are created equal.

My first question is - did you send the Mantle into the same grading service as the rest of the cards? If so, that's pretty weird if you are sure nothing happened to the rest of the cards since you sent in the Mantle. Also, I have never sent in a quantity of cards and they all came back with the exact same grade.
http://s1147.photobucket.com/albums/o558/dmasci/
Always looking for BGS or BVG graded cards for HOFers....especially the skilled positions.

[Image: DmasciBanner.jpg]

(09-05-2013, 08:31 PM)nolan5000 Wrote: You have to think about this. Just by chance, something could have happened to those other cards before they came into your possession. Additionally, those 32 cards' condition could have degraded in the time period that you had the Mantle graded. Plus, not all cards are created equal.

Exactly my point...no two cards are equal...why then did they all come back graded a 2? ?? Thats my question....seems somebody just rushed through this grading which tells me its a waste of money.
(09-06-2013, 05:27 AM)dmasci Wrote: My first question is - did you send the Mantle into the same grading service as the rest of the cards? If so, that's pretty weird if you are sure nothing happened to the rest of the cards since you sent in the Mantle. Also, I have never sent in a quantity of cards and they all came back with the exact same grade.
Yes I sent it to the same company and thats why I am questioning this. All my cards come back graded a "2" doesnt seem right. I am still waiting for an answer...

(11-16-2013, 12:47 PM)ramhawker Wrote: Exactly my point...no two cards are equal...why then did they all come back graded a 2? ?? Thats my question....seems somebody just rushed through this grading which tells me its a waste of money.
You misunderstood my point.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!