`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Soooo... Autograph numbered variations

Soooo... Autograph numbered variations

Thought I'd throw this one out there. I find myself looking at Topps Finest auto patches and wondering, "why would I pay for the one numbered to /10 when I could buy the same card cheaper if it's numbered to /15, or /25, or /50, /99, 499, or not numbered at all?"

If there were more variation between the cards, like a different pose, I'd be down for it. I find it hard to value a card that is numbered to /10 because it's blue instead of green, or red, or purple. For example, I'd buy the Rookies and Stars slideshow /99 because that's all there are instead of the inception auto of that player because I know the overall print run of that card is much higher.

If I buy a low numbered card, it's only because the jersey swatch is superior, the signature is more elaborate, or there were only ten of that card made regardless of color. Does anyone else have a hard time swallowing the increased cost when you are aware that, while numbered to 10/, there's over 1500 when you add together all the variations of a given card bearing the exact same photo and signature?

RE: Soooo... Autograph numbered variations
I tend to stay away from these types of variations myself but in the end there are truly only 10 of that particular color so it's still more valuable than the color with 250 copies. But if that was the case you can argue that one of the most popular rookie cards on the market, Bowman Chrome, is also not as valuable. They have Refractors, XFractors, Blue Refractors, Green Refractors, Gold Refractors and Orange Refractors. Oh and Red too. It's the same card just a different color of refractor. This has been the case for years though and they are still extremely popular. But again, I agree that just buying the Ultimate with an on-card auto and serial numbered to 99 copies with no crazy amount of variations is the better way to go. Some brands such as Topps Valor last year got carried away. They had cards like "Power", "Speed" and such with 50 copies but there were tons of them. Watered down.

Part of me likes that there's variations out there with very low numbering, and another part of me sees the endless parallels as nothing more than a cheap ploy by the card companies to cover up for lack of innovation and depth of product.

It's mainly out there for the people who are trying to complete the "rainbows" or getting one of every single color variation. Each year the rainbow chase seems to get more popular so they add a new color.
Collect BARRY SANDERS, Tom Brady, Bama Alums and Randy Moss
[Image: cfFrftN.png]
I only give DC for trades over $50

Then you couldnt do fun stuff like make rainbows....lol

1/1 black - /5 blue - /5 green (dont know why there are 2 color variations with the same numbering) and a /25 gold

[Image: A154C646-EEA8-4D0B-AC48-E81C26F59B69-212...82069d.jpg]

PC - Dolphins, Daniel Thomas, Parker, Ajayi, Jordan, Landry & Phins 1/1's

I'll start with the rainbows when they add fuchsia to the mix. Big Grin

(01-06-2014, 02:51 PM)fast93bird Wrote: I'll start with the rainbows when they add fuchsia to the mix. Big Grin
I'm sure it's right around the corner. They've got pink and camo now!!
[Image: bbd5_1.jpg][Image: beachebay3-1.jpg]

(01-06-2014, 08:35 PM)ugameck Wrote: I'm sure it's right around the corner. They've got pink and camo now!!
Hmmm......that it true. Fuchsia and magenta camo then.......digitized camo at that. THEN I'll start up the rainbows.

(01-06-2014, 09:05 PM)fast93bird Wrote: Hmmm......that it true. Fuchsia and magenta camo then.......digitized camo at that. THEN I'll start up the rainbows.
Digitized - Panini Prizm got that covered!
[Image: bbd5_1.jpg][Image: beachebay3-1.jpg]