`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
25+ listed OPG sets/parallels that don't partially/fully exist…or do they?

RE: 25+ listed OPG sets/parallels that don't partially/fully exist…or do they?
(05-12-2014, 08:39 PM)jjoy Wrote: I am a 1960-1994 Dallas Cowboys team collector. I am trying to get everything even parallels and oddballs. I have wondered about the 1993 Action Packed Mint Parallel as well. I have seen the Aikman for sale on Ebay. The Emmitt's displayed previously on this thread are part of a special package celebrating Emmitt's rushing title that year and aren't part of the regular Action Packed Mint Parallel. The 1992 Regular series Mint Parallel was issued in 500 a piece and the update that year in 250 a piece and you can find those all over the place(comc, beckett, ebay). With the 1993 Mint parallels issued at 500 per card you would think you could find a few up for sale somewhere on the net. I havent seen any so either they don't exist or someone is hoarding them all.
I think they don't exist, I found the 1992 Action Packed Mint for the Jets as singles, and then filled the gaps when a set was broken up, also completed 1992 AP Update Mint. If they were sold online, and we're hard to move, eventually they would have been moved due to the value. Hard to imagine they could be hoarded. Checking eBay daily since 1996 for Jets, there should have been Boomer Esiason or Ronnie Lott singles as those guys were still star names back then. I accept an Aikman was made, but it's hard to imagine no Giants, Eagles, 49ers, Steelers, Packers, Vikings, Bears, Dolphins, Broncos, Chiefs, Raiders have ever been talked about with their fan bases, and all the other teams too.

Hello all,

Have only posted a couple times since beckett 2.0, but some of you likely know me from other forums. (I have the largest Tony Gonzalez collection).

All the AP Mint cards listed in Beckett do exist.

The 1993 were sold in boxes that were like 5 or 6 grand, which explains why no one bought them in the day. No clue to why they havent all surfaces since the company was sold off, but they all are very very hard to find.

I pc'd Steve Young for about 8 years (?), and have about 2500 different cards, 60-70 autos, a cabinet of oddball stuff, plus.

Anyway, here is the 1993 Steve Young, and the person I got this from, had two boxes, at least 70 different ones.

[Image: 1993-AP-39-SY-500-465a_zpsd0655a7c.jpg]

[Image: 1993-AP-39-SY-500-465b_zps65220e5d.jpg]

Thanks for the heads up...mbostick
With 20+ years collecting, this is the most comprehensive single player collection in the world! Beckett lists 4000+ cards - I'm at 95% completion!
[Image: jaderock-1-1-1.jpg]]

(05-29-2014, 03:04 AM)mbostick Wrote: Hello all,

Have only posted a couple times since beckett 2.0, but some of you likely know me from other forums. (I have the largest Tony Gonzalez collection).

The 1993 were sold in boxes that were like 5 or 6 grand, which explains why no one bought them in the day. No clue to why they havent all surfaces since the company was sold off, but they all are very very hard to find.

I pc'd Steve Young for about 8 years (?), and have about 2500 different cards, 60-70 autos, a cabinet of oddball stuff, plus.

Anyway, here is the 1993 Steve Young, and the person I got this from, had two boxes, at least 70 different ones.

I want to give you a belated thanks for your submission on this. I am now inclined to believe that these were once manufactured by Action Packed. If I, jaderock or ginge01 were once convinced that these never existed, well, that's saying a lot.

Bamafan, if you are still out there, I want to respond to your post as well. Thank you for your comments. Please pardon the lengthy delay. My responses are in caps to help easily differentiate our comments, I am not yelling at anyone.
(04-01-2014, 02:32 PM)bamafan25 Wrote: I have no photographic evidence of any of these I'm just going off of memory. #5 the Studio 4x6's were sold in blister packs at Book Stores mostly. Places like Booksamillion and Walden Books had these all the time.
DO YOU THINK THAT THESE COULD HAVE BEEN BASEBALL OR HOCKEY ONES INSTEAD? I AM NOT SURE IF POSTCARD PORTRAIT PARALLELS EXIST FOR THOSE EITHER. IF THEY DO, HENCE THE POSSIBLE CONFUSION FOR BECKETT. CURRENTLY I STILL BELIEVE THESE DO NOT EXIST.
#9 the 93 Mint Parallel was a 250 set Print run, I believe exclusively through Shop at Home or at least that's the only place I ever saw them for sale. Their were 500 Boxes produced 250 of each Conference, when you purchased 1 you got a random Conference, purchasing 2 would get you one of each Conference. I can still hear Don West spamming these at 2 am, they apparently didn't sell well and were horribly expensive. Seems they produced them in 91,92 and 93 in much the same way.
THESE MAY VERY WELL HAVE BEEN SOLD THROUGH THESE CHANNELS. IF INDEED THE ENTIRE PARALLEL SET EXISTS THEN I BELIEVE IT.
#17 UD Promos were inserted into either Beckett or Tuff Stuff (can't recall as I always bought them both) you could get them in silver or gold stamped much like the Playoff Promos of the same time. I may have some in my closet I'll try to dig them out this weekend. I'm sure without photos this may not mean much but I wanted to share what I remembered for what it's worth.
AS FAR AS I KNOW THE UD PROMOS HAVE ONLY ONE VARIATION. THE BECKETT SAMPLES ARE A DIFFERENT STORY.
[Image: aoM1_zps2mg995on.gif]

(05-29-2014, 03:04 AM)mbostick Wrote: Hello all,

Thank you for your post. Did you see the other 1993 Mint Parallels he had? Were there common players? You have the Steve Young and the Troy Aikman is currently for sale on Ebay. Your Young and the Aikman are printed to 500. I need several common Cowboys from there. It seems like they should be out there for sale like the 1992's. I never see them come up on any card selling site. I wonder if someone has a hoard of unopened packs and boxes.

No clue what happened to these cards, only we can guess that they were all sold long before the bankruptcy, as they do not appear to have been in the inventory at that time.

I am not sure which others ones the seller had now, as my only concern was Steve Young, but he had quite a few 1993, what I thought was two boxes, and another stack smaller of another year, which I thought was likely one box. Beckett claims that, for 1993, "Certificates for these Mint cards were randomly packed in hobby boxes."

I paid $80 for the Steve Young, several years ago when his cards were selling a little less then now. At the time I thought I paid too much.....maybe I didn't.

2002 Private Stock Hobby and Retail parallels, cards 1-100 of the set

Okay, here is another that I am baffled by:

[Image: _57_zps154173e1.jpg]

There are 150 cards in the set. For the Hobby set the last 50 are scarce rookies numbered to their respective jersey numbers with jersey swatches to boot. The Retail set in contrast has ordinary base set rookie cards, which are also the last 50 in the set. However, after doing much research, I am highly skeptical that there are any Hobby and Retail variations for the first 100 cards between both sets. The 2004 Beckett annual manual also states under the Retail section: "This set is a parallel of the hobby version, with the exception being the rookie cards are not serial numbered."

...hmm

I'm here...late to the party. I was just looking through my Jerome Bettis cards for the variances of 1995 Edge stuff. I also have not seen the EdgeTech Black Label 22K Gold....I'm also assuming these don't exist. Here's my addition to the "Does it exist?":

1993 Wild Card 5/10/20/50/100/1000 Stripes of Bettis #204. Beckett says yes....but I've only ever seen #159.
1998 Pro Line DC3 Retail Bettis #46 & #68 - I have the Hobby Gold versions but haven't seen the Retail ones.
I collect just about anything Jerome Bettis!
3,354 different Jerome Bettis cards as of 2/22/2016.

(07-28-2014, 11:34 PM)srt4eh Wrote: 1998 Pro Line DC3 Retail Bettis #46 & #68
They exist and cost .26 and .25 cent respectively on Beckett Marketplace.
With 20+ years collecting, this is the most comprehensive single player collection in the world! Beckett lists 4000+ cards - I'm at 95% completion!
[Image: jaderock-1-1-1.jpg]]

1995 Score Promos - do these promos exist for all 275 cards in the set?

[Image: scan0031.jpg]

Very recently these promotional Score cards were added to the OPG for the first 273 cards of the 275 cards in the set. Although I applaud Beckett for taking the time to include these, I am still highly skeptical that these exist for nearly all base cards within the set.

I remember someone posted a comment on another thread a while back that only the first 111 cards have promotional variations. After conducting my own research online I discovered that I was able to find promotional cards for a large majority of these first 111 within the set, but not so much for cards with a higher card set number, so there most likely is some truth to that. Why someone from Score arbitrarily decided on the first 111 is beyond me, but I digress.

However, I also did notice that the Collins above and Kaufman (# 271) also have promotional cards that do indeed exist. From card # 244 on are the RCs from the set. Perhaps promotional cards exist for cards 1-111 and also all/most/some of the RCs in the set (244-275) as well?

Simply, I currently believe promotional cards do not exist for cards 112-243. I just wanted to point that out in case any of you are wondering why you can not locate any of these promotional cards that fall within this span of set numbers.