`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it me or is Topps Five Star..........

Is it me or is Topps Five Star..........
The worst friggin producr ever?!!!!!!!!!!!! I cracked a 3 box case and sat there looking at it trying to evaluate why this stuff is not $80 a pack and not $550. Seriuously hit nothing and am wondering how they can justify the price point? I will be lucky o make $200 back. This was absolutely the worst decision I have ever made when it comes to wax. Others.........?

RE: Is it me or is Topps Five Star..........
Did you pull any wil Myers is so very interested
https://rad3427.imgbb.com/
WANT LIST
1. Nolan Arenado RCs (all colors)
2. Ken Griffey Jr (90s inserts)
3. Bryce Harper RCs (all colors)
4. Mookie Betts 
5. Juan Soto

I gotta be honest, I don't get it.

I got a Prince Fielder auto redemption as a replacement and the card was so thick I needed a special 180-point holder for it — but with no patch or jersey piece, why does it need to be so thick?

Not to mention the chipping ... I just don't get it for the price point.

[Image: PrinceSolo_zps0c27eb7f.jpg]

Don't get me wrong, I love the Fielder, I just wouldn't gamble on wax of this stuff.

Hobby does not need more $50 plus packs, let alone $500!

Forty percent of topps' mlb issues are $50 or higher per pack. That is not the way to get more collectors back into the hobby.

I've often thought MLB could/should figure out a way to grant licenses to Topps, Panini and Upper Deck — then insist that they each only offer three releases per season.

One low end (like Opening Day or Score), one flagship brand (like Prestige or base Topps) and then one high end (Five Star or National Treasures or whatever).

That would be nine products per year per sport — doesn't sound like a lot, but maybe if they spread them out a bit they could get updated player photos and a better shot at packing out live autos instead of redemptions.

That way, each product would be distinctly different.

Put it this way ... not to pick on Panini specifically, but the fact that they've already rolled out Hoops, Prestige and Certified for basketball and they all still show Garnett and Pierce as Celtics instead of Nets is exactly what I'm talking about.

Because cards like this are what people are chasing

[Image: image_zps38f9d12d.jpg]
And this

[Image: image_zps21654133.jpg]
WANT LIST
4. Mookie Betts 
5. Juan Soto

Don't get me wrong, those are sweet cards, but what's the honest difference between those and Inception, as far as the price point?

Lol... I got mine on the secondary market it's all the same to me. I can't drop $500 on this stuff hoping I get the type of cards I just posted.
I also have to hand it to Topps this years five star is much better as far as condition than last year by far
WANT LIST
4. Mookie Betts 
5. Juan Soto

(12-18-2013, 04:50 PM)rippinwax Wrote: The worst friggin producr ever?!!!!!!!!!!!! I cracked a 3 box case and sat there looking at it trying to evaluate why this stuff is not $80 a pack and not $550. Seriuously hit nothing and am wondering how they can justify the price point? I will be lucky o make $200 back. This was absolutely the worst decision I have ever made when it comes to wax. Others.........?
After my experience with high end, I'll never do it again. Tier One shouldn't have autos of Third Tier AAA players. Five Star shouldn't have One Star scrubs. Museum should have only 'the classics' pictured and not photos of the museum's janitorial staff. Smile etc, etc.
If you were putting together a box that really had "Five Star" players, then that price would be a good value, but otherwise, it's just a waste of money.
Many of the high end cards aren't worth the trouble. I started buying high end cards of my PC guys from ebay and I'm much happier. Couple the increased chance of getting a less than great player with the increased chance of redemptions and I'm not buying any high end products ever again (unless I win powerball and don't care about what I'm spending Smile )
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(12-18-2013, 05:41 PM)rad_1205 Wrote: Lol... I got mine on the secondary market it's all the same to me. I can't drop $500 on this stuff hoping I get the type of cards I just posted.
I also have to hand it to Topps this years five star is much better as far as condition than last year by far
Yeah, that's a good point ... just wait for the singles. The cards themselves are great ... just not the cost to rip.