`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice requested about getting Jordan rookie graded

Advice requested about getting Jordan rookie graded
Anyone have any suggestions on the best way to get a Michael Jordan Fleer 1986-87, regular issue card graded? I pulled it new from a pack back in early 1987 and have kept it sealed in a rigid case since. Any sage advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Collecting the following players:
Steve Garvey (177 different cards) --Willie McCovey (168 different cards) --Will Clark (199 different cards) --Mel Ott (132 different cards) --Willie Mays (28 different cards)
=Currently collecting vintage tobacco and tea cards as well as Topps Allen and Ginter=

RE: Advice requested about getting Jordan rookie graded
Just ship it to them insured. Click the grading tab up top and follow their suggestions on submitting. If you're near Dallas you can hand deliver it. Or look for one of the large weekend shows near you that has a BGS booth and submit it there.
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC

Thanks for the reply. Just have to decide and approximate value for the insurance. After doing some research, the value of this card varies greatly depending upon grade. Is it better to over-estimate value? In my untrained opinion, this card could be an 8.5, 9 or 9.5, which have recently sold on e-bay for $950, $1300 and $3500, respectively (the card has good centering, no wear, the edges are crisp, with the only issue that I can find being on the surface as there is a small print spot and the picture is not perfectly in focus).

Unfortunately I do not live anywhere near Dallas, and there are no shows scheduled near me.
Steve Garvey (177 different cards) --Willie McCovey (168 different cards) --Will Clark (199 different cards) --Mel Ott (132 different cards) --Willie Mays (28 different cards)
=Currently collecting vintage tobacco and tea cards as well as Topps Allen and Ginter=

Insure it for what you feel it would cost to replace it. In all honesty insurance is just a comfort. Chances of using it are 1 in 100,000 but its best to have it and not need it then need it and not have it. If it was me I would slap 2 grand on it and call it good. My main concern is the type of screwdown its been in and have you taken it out? I've removed some from screwdowns only to have the surface stick and peel pieces of the card off with it.
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC

Thank you again for the input. I did remove the card from its previous case with no issues, still looks like it did when I pulled it from the pack some 26 years ago.
I am strongly considering making a road trip in the spring after everything thaws out to attend one of the weekend shows that offers grading. I'm looking to pass this on to my son when he gets older (as well as the 1000's of other cards I have), so I'm not in a great hurry.

(12-11-2013, 12:08 PM)anhaga68 Wrote: Thank you again for the input. I did remove the card from its previous case with no issues, still looks like it did when I pulled it from the pack some 26 years ago.
Share pictures!

(12-11-2013, 05:52 PM)hercules21 Wrote: Share pictures!
As soon as I can figure out the easiest way to do so I will.

As requested pictures. And no your eyes are not playing tricks, I have two of these. Apologies if the quality of the pictures is not great, a bit out of focus.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(12-11-2013, 08:10 PM)anhaga68 Wrote: As requested pictures. And no your eyes are not playing tricks, I have two of these. Apologies if the quality of the pictures is not great, a bit out of focus.
To post pics on here, you have to 1st upload them to a photosharing website like photobucket. And then copy & paste the IMG Code.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

[Image: 856656_772168769465032_1305275312_o_zps2eb2e355.jpg]
[Image: 1487736_772168886131687_1695172857_o_zpsb5a5fe04.jpg]
(12-11-2013, 08:23 PM)nolan5000 Wrote: To post pics on here, you have to 1st upload them to a photosharing website like photobucket. And then copy & paste the IMG Code.
Thanks, wasn't sure how to go about it.